can i put a 71-73 vega gas tank into a later vega ?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

can i put a 71-73 vega gas tank into a later vega ?

Postby wrong generation » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

i know most will think this is stupid and a waist of time but how hard would it be to put a gas tank from a 71-73 into a later vega ? i like the clean look of the quarter panels with out the gas cap and would prefer if it was behind the rear licence plate besides hidden it would make it so i could pull up to any pump lol.

so how hard would it be ? any chance its a direct bolt in ?
wrong generation

Re: can i put a 71-73 vega gas tank into a later vega ?

Postby bugdewde » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 pm

It would be difficult.... they are different sizes.
The later tank is deeper and a little narrower... if I remember correctly.
My '72 had a later tank swapped in by a previous owner, and it required a whole hatch floor section welded in for the tank to fit...... I found that out when I tried to swap back to an early tank.... it wouldn't fit. The early tank is wider and shallower than the later hatch floor. Spare tire well interfered with fitment.

Early tank is 11 gallons.
Late tank is 14 gallons.

Obviously, it can be done, mine was done in reverse of what you want.... the the hatch floor section was swapped in to match the different tank size.

I forgot to mention the fuel filler behind the license plate .... the whole trunk section would have to match in that area too. The filler neck sticks up at an angle and fits inbetween the spare tire well and the rear hatch floor..... probably would have to do something with the larger/thicker rear bumper of the later model.....
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby megavega » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:57 am

Not only is the tank differnt as already described in good detail, youd have a problem with the fuel filler neck as its behind the license plate on the 71-73 but in 74-77 the license plate is moved up to the rear tail light panel and the big alum bumpers were used so the filler neck wouldnt be behind the license plate.

what you could do is add a differnt filler neck to your existing tank and make it go into the rear tail light panel with a flush fit cap or something to that nature. Block off the right side fill neck at the tank, then delete the quarter panel filler location.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Smiley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:30 pm

You could use a 67-68 Camaro tank with the filler above the bumper.
69 Camaro for behind the plate.
Not a bolt in but new repro tanks are easy to find for Camaro's not so much for early Vega's
Smiley

Postby wrong generation » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm

i figured id have to notch the bumper in some way shape or form. that wouldnt be a problem.

sucks that its not just a direct bolt in. but the car would look so much cleaner with out that cap on the side. with i could just find a 71-73 lol.
wrong generation

Postby wrong generation » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:46 pm

still can't figure out there logic for moving it to the quarter panel hell they left it in the back on the camaro.
wrong generation

Return to General Discussion