Rust Prevention

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Rust Prevention

Postby gmagilla » Wed May 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Anyone ever use Eastwoods POR-15 or the rust coverter and encapsulater. I'm going to try and get my Suburban done when I take my vacation.There are a couple spots I'll have to do later but I want to stop the rust from getting worse. Eastwoods says it'll stop the rust but I know they want to sell their products.
gmagilla

Re: Rust Prevention

Postby kgroombr » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Can't speak for the Eastwood product, but I have been using KBS coatings on my projects with great success.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby gt350fme » Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

The short story is you can't go wrong with POR-15 when used as directed, tough stuff, don't get it on you, and if there is any residue on the can lid when you close it up you will never get the can lid open again.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 am

I've used both POR-15 and Eastwood's rust encapsulator... I like POR-15 (prep is really important), but am not so keen on the rust encapsulator. Ive tried rust encapulator on a boat trailer and some fenders on my cavalier, and the rust was starting to bubble through after only 6 months on both. It could be that rust encapsulator prep is even more fussy than POR-15, but I followed the directions closely.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu May 28, 2015 7:50 am

gt350fme wrote:...don't get it on you, and if there is any residue on the can lid when you close it up you will never get the can lid open again.

AMEN to that. No kidding...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby cjbiagi » Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 am

Best rust prevention I know of is sandblasting :lol:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 am

I don't like the idea of Covering Up rust, but I used POR inside my gas tank 15 years ago and it still look great..Best way I think is to remove rust, etch bare metal prime then paint..

Al
dindin

Postby gotmud7 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 pm

I used POR 15 on a Jeep Wrangler frame years ago. I followed the directions exactly. Within a year it was starting to rust again. Don't put it on anything you want to make look nice.
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

The first time I sandblasted anything was about 15 years ago or so. I was rebuilding my front end and I took everything that could be unbolted to my friends house to use his sandblaster. I did the A arms, springs, spindles etc. It was a enlightening experience to see everything look brand new. Every nook and cranny was spotless. Afterwards I wiped everything down with solvent, primed and block sanded and then painted everything. To this day they still look fantastic. There is nothing like sandblasting if you can do it. Of course not suitable for thin sheetmetal but for everything else it is great. After that I bought my own sandblaster and continued with the rest of the undercarriage. Only thing I wish I had was a sandblasting cabinet but my buddy has one that I can use. Great investment.......
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gmagilla » Thu May 28, 2015 10:56 pm

There's a support under the bed at the rear that is part of the rear tail panel and it looks like to get it out I may have to lift the body and I know I won't have time to replace it soon so I want to cover some rust till I get time to fix it or take it to a body shop and let them fix it while I'm out on the road.I'm taking time off the week of June 7th and will try to get it turned into a pickup.Thanks for the feedback .
gmagilla

Postby ol55 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:43 am

In this case it may be better to use something like rustoleum. I am debating using POR-15 on my '57 floor but am concerned that it is too permanent. If you plan on taking the part out, it may be better to use something not as strong.

Anybody have experience with working with a part after POR-15 was applied?

Thanks,
Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby 79440bird » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 am

I sandblast all my parts then use the air hose on them and wipe them off with a rag then POR-15 two coats with a brush. One coat let dry then top with another coat. I have been doin this for 15 years parts still look great. It's like a plastic coating. It it tough on sandblasted parts. Don't breath burning POR-15 when cutting the parts you have painted. I POR-15 my mower deck top where the belt go's , wire wheeled the metal sanded it a little bit with 36 grit so it would stick then put the covers on over the belt /spindle area. Well 10 years later the belt broke and when I took the covers off the rust bubbled all under the POR-15. I easily pulled up big piece of plastic POR-15 sheeting off it. So basically it don't work like the can says PAINT OVER RUST. Now if you buy a quart and you want it to last. After you get done brushing on your paint right from the can put a rubber glove over the can. use two gloves if you want just lay them flat across the top, now put your lid on and here's the trick put a 1/8 metal plate on the bottom an the top of the can and C - clamp it shut. I actually made a fixture for this because I go though this so much. Do this and your paint will not have a hardened crust film every time you open it. Unless you don't use it again for a year. I have went about a month with no problems. I believe you can use that rust Oleum fusion paint over por-15 without any prep work and it will stick good. I haven't tried it yet my buddy says that paint is for painting plastic.
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby daan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:22 pm

I had an OT vehicle (4X4) I fixed all the rusty spots on with POR-15. I'm a little OCD as it is, so I had no problem following the fussy prep directions. I then drove it in salt-hell Minnesota for a couple winters, and the rust stayed gone. So if you can really follow al 96 steps properly, it works fine. (Although just bolting on new un-rusty pieces would have been a lot faster)
daan

Postby BillB1210 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:09 pm

My experience with POR-15 has been good. But remember, it encapsulates rust. That means in real terms, that the rust is still there and growing - like a cancer. It is in the metal. Growth can be retarded, but will not stop.

As Clyde mentioned, sandblasting is the key. If you can somehow sandblast a piece of metal on a day without too much humidity, coat it quickly, you might be able to defeat 95% of the rust. Problem is that even with the best pressure sandblasters, you can't really eradicate 100% of the rust. As soon as the blaster turns off, the metal begins to oxidize again. Make sure you drain the compressor of water, if it is humid, you are taking in water again and the surface will corrode.

POR-15 is probably the best you can buy(I haven't tried Eastwoods). It does a great job, seals the work and will usually give you years - if you don't drive in salt again. Otherwise, don't waste your time and money. Salt is the enemy. It is pervasive, gets into everything and starts it's destruction.

If you like cars, move from the "salt states". Move to the Pacific Northwest, South below I10, Oklahoma, Texas or the Southwest.

That's what I'm going to do!

Bill
1980 Monza 2+2 Purchased new in April 1980
ZZ2 GM Crate Engine 345 HP 350 CID 5-speed T5
BillB1210

Return to General Discussion