tool to remove centerlink from pitman arm

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

tool to remove centerlink from pitman arm

Postby chevyart » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:37 pm

is there a tool other than a pickle fork to remove centerlink from pitman arm and from idler arm. seems to me the pickle fork will ruin the bushings on these part, and i dont like the idea of using a big hammer to beat on the side of centerlink to loosen up the joint. thought a friend of mine mentioned a long time ago that he had a good tool to remove these parts without hurting the rubber seals on ball joints and not hurting the bushing in the centerlink studs going to the pitman and idler arms thanks art
chevyart

Re: tool to remove centerlink from pitman arm

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Art, hitting the side of the joint where the tapered stud goes through does sometime work to "shock" the parts and loosen them up. This works in conjunction with applying pressure to the tapered stud itself at the same time either with a pickle fork or by leaving the nut attached by a few threads and beating on top of the nut to protect the threads. Either of these hammering methods will not hurt the parts. I think you may be thinking of a "puller" that will separate them but I have never used one.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby kgroombr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Maybe a pitman arm puller? They come in different sizes so you would have to find one that fits correctly without damaging anything.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby sugaryuk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Art, hitting the side of the joint where the tapered stud goes through does sometime work to "shock" the parts and loosen them up. This works in conjunction with applying pressure to the tapered stud itself at the same time either with a pickle fork or by leaving the nut attached by a few threads and beating on top of the nut to protect the threads. Either of these hammering methods will not hurt the parts. I think you may be thinking of a "puller" that will separate them but I have never used one.

^^This, nothing beats a good BMF hammer! I flipped the castle nut around to protect the crown, and I find it better to use bigger hammer with a softer hit rather than smashing it with a gurly hammer.
sugaryuk

Postby Smiley » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:58 am

kgroombr wrote:Maybe a pitman arm puller? They come in different sizes so you would have to find one that fits correctly without damaging anything.

Ken

Smiley

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:30 am

Those are designed to pull the pitman arm off the steering box, I think it is way too big to remove the centerlink from the pitman.....
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby zeke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:12 am

Separator tool and bfh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:14 am

Ball joint tool might work.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:28 am

cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 am

thanks guys i dont see how any of the pullers would work. i dont want to take the pitman arm from the splined steering box shaft, and the centerlink stud into the pitman shaft needs so be pulled out from pitman arm tapered hole. would need to be pushed down from the top where the castle nut is. dont want to hit on that nut with a hammer, as it might flatten out the threads. looks like a heavy hammer hitting on side of centerlink will be only way to loosen up the shaft up into pitman arm, unless there is any other idea. thanks art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Art, I think if you thread the nut on where it just sticks past the threads you will be fine. This in conjunction with tapping the side of the pitman should do it. Again, it's not necessarily easy but it will break loose.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

thanks clyde. , guess im going to have to use that big ugly hammer no matter what. art
chevyart

Postby bugdewde » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Many years ago, I worked on one for hours on an old VW. I'd given up on it and it sat for a couple days in the basement. My middle brother came over one day and asked what was wrong with the Bug. Told him I couldn't remove the tie rod from the pitman arm . He said, "Oh, that's easy." Grabbed a hammer and tapped it on the side and the damn thing fell right out. I couldn't believe how hard I worked trying to get that thing off and he simply tapped it right off.
Knowledge is power.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:28 pm

thanks bugwede. im trying to gain knowledge, so i guess i will get some power when i learn more about these nice cars. i listen to everybody's suggestions and i always seem to pick up good work techniques, sometimes from taking a little advice from each post from our members. thanks art
chevyart

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Art you are right that the "Pickle Fork" usually damages the boot but there are other pullers for this job here are a few Harry (the exact one I was looking for is on the bottom/middle right next to another good choice) http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarte ... 99849.html
Pullers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to General Discussion