How to fix your h-body clock

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

How to fix your h-body clock

Postby gotmud7 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi Everyone. I spent an hour today fixing the broken clock in my 72 Vega GT. I contacted a reputable member of the board about a NOS clock. As soon as he said "expensive" I stopped the search. Thanks to him though for looking. I looked on ebay for "quartz movement" and found a place here in Illinois that sells the parts, and will also restore the gauge. $55 plus shipping to do it myself. Turns out the same part number fits the standard Vega dash and the GT clock. See pictures for the difference. Then I thought, what if the internals are all the same? I picked up a NOS standard Vega clock on eBay for $25 shipped to me. They are usually $40 plus shipping. Today at work I disassembled both at my desk. I took the good guts from the NOS clock and replaced the non-working internals of my GT clock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:32 pm

This picture shows the side by side of the two. I took the pictures in case some of the gears popped out (which they did).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Here is a picture showing that all the movements are the same. All I had to do was pry everything apart with a small flat blade screwdriver. The hardest part was removing 3 round lock washers that held the movement in the case. Prying on them with pliers breaks them. But prying with the screwdriver while my thumb was on it helped get them out in one piece. Putting them back on is a PIA.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 pm

This should be in the best of. Good job.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:44 pm

spyder_xlch wrote:This should be in the best of. Good job.

Or at least move it to restoration tips so it doesn't get lost in the General. I just did a search for "clock" and this thread doesn't show up. Huh?
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby gotmud7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 am

More of the clock. I looked out the window at work and decided to take off!

The hardest part was putting these retainers back on. The clock doesn't have a good place to hold on to it. Once these are on, the movement is back in place. From there its a matter of re attaching the clock face, bending the tabs back to hold it on. Then the hands slip back on. I thought about putting the NOS hands on, but they are a differnt color, and also larger. There is no right way to align the hands when they go on. They just push on, one at a time. When you set the time, the hands just rotate, one inside the other with the second hand pushed into the middle.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:45 am

The mechanism. Once I had both movements out, I forgot which was which for a second. Old vs. new. But I figured it out. They were exactly the same.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:48 am

Here is the first picture again. Its the first time I saw the two clocks side by side.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 am

What I learned. I have a working clock now. Total of $25 and about one hour. My dash is already out of the car. I did break part of the NOS clock mechanism trying to press those clips on. 35 year old plastic is not very strong. It does not affect the movement though. The place that sells the quartz movement has a 1 year warranty on the quartz, and a 90 day warranty on the NOS movements. So I am expecting this clock to last through the summer! If it stops, I'll probably go with the quartz next time. The NOS clock was not working when I pulled it out of the box. A metal pin in it was pushed out of place. A little coaxing with a screwdriver put it back into place, and it started right up. With most Vega NOS clocks going for $45 on ebay, I think I would spend the extra $10 next time and go with a new quartz just because of the age of the part.

I hoped this helped some of you. With a little patience, and some good reading glasses, anyone can do this.

Mark
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:33 am

Heh, are you implying we are getting old??? ;) With that reading glasses comment?
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby AusRs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:48 am

gerbsinmd wrote:Heh, are you implying we are getting old??? ;) With that reading glasses comment?

Dunno about you but i am !
:(
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:49 am

AusRs wrote:[Dunno about you but i am !:(

I guess I just don't want to admit it. :roll:
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby AusRs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 am

Actually i have no problem whatsoever about getting older...........what i do hate is the aches and pains that go with it :(:(:(
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:13 am

Nice how-to; the movement from any GM of the same vintage will probably fit as well. I didn't realize GT clocks were a much sought after item; I usually leave them out so I can substitute an oil pressure gauge. Maybe I'll dig up a couple of spare ones, get them working, and put them in the classified section.
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to General Discussion