hood hinge fab

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: hood hinge fab

Postby megavega » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

simply take a scribe and mark all around where your weld on hinge is now on hood. You already have 2 holes in the hinge they just have some weld in them and need drilled out. The 5/16" nuts get welded to the flat stock with holes already in them same pattern as the hinge, so the bolts will go thru your hinge then flat stock into the nut. The 5/16" is the size of the nut to use, not the hole to drill. I usually will drill a slightly bigger hole to do something like this so you have room around the hole to engage the thread in the nut easily.

i added the better description to help you on the first post.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby chevy art » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 am

don pretty sure i understand. i guess i will scribe old hinge and drill it out and re-use. i have a new set of 77 vega hinges that i will just save. when you say 5/16 nut i assume you mean it is a nut that takes a 5/16 bolt threaded into it. thanks for the help art
chevy art

Postby PumpGas » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 am

Chevy Art, hope all is well. I'm looking to make up a set of Hinges for my steel hood. Would you or any H er's have the measurements. I have tried local to find out with no luck..
PumpGas

Previous

Return to General Discussion