Aftermarket LS Oil pan?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Aftermarket LS Oil pan?

Postby n8thenetninja » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:56 am

Has anyone used this oil pan before? Or do you have LS pan requirements available?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perform ... 3/10002/-1

I was comparing it to the mod dimensions on this site for the old SBC oil pan and it seems like it's within spec..
http://www.v8monza.com/faq-v8cv.htm

I need to buy a pan anyway, and it would be nice not to have to chop one up.

Thanks!
n8thenetninja

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Aftermarket LS Oil pan?

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:42 am

chopping up the pan is going to be the least of your problems doing the conversion. using the powerbyace pan kit will also eliminate a lot of headaches down the road.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 am

monzaaddict wrote:chopping up the pan is going to be the least of your problems doing the conversion.

I'm aware of this. This isn't my first engine conversion project. Why is the mod kit the best way to go in your opinion? I'm starting to lean towards the Holle​y 302-​1 pan now after more research. Seems to already have the clearance issues solved if I'm reading the charts right.
n8thenetninja

Postby jcrider » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:49 am

I used one of the fabricated aluminum pans from ebay. It fit the chassis beautifully and gave plenty of steering clearance
jcrider

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 am

the powerbyace kit locates the engine as the factory did in a v8 monza. engine clearances are real tight in an h body. email him and see what he says. I can assure you he is aware of what pans are out there and there is a reason he is offering the kit. If you use his mounts and the holley pan the inner tie rods will hit the pan.
You can raise the engine and tranny and use another pan but you will have to fabricate mounts exhaust and deal with clearance issues.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:44 am

At the time I originally posted this thread, powerbyace only offered a kit to modify your own f-body pan, and I didn't (and still don't) have a TIG welder. Well, it's three and a half years later, and I did manage to get the engine in with the powerbyace engine mounts, and a Hamburger's Performance Econo Series (steel) Oil Pan. It seemed like a deal at $300, until I had to spend $200 for a remote oil filter kit. It did fit however, after I dented the pan on either side to make it clear the steering linkage. I got it on the track for the last few races of the season and had a blast. As luck would have it however, the "econo" pan ended up developing a massive leak along the bottom rear seam, and I'm back to square one. I have gotten pretty good at MIG welding since the original post, (related stories for another thread) so I could possibly repair it, but to be frank, it never fit that well, and I always hated the remote oil filter. Powerbyace now offers a complete modified F-body pan, and while it's expensive, it's only about $100 more than I spent making that Hamburger pan work. Figured I would post my experiences for anyone who might find this thread. I haven't received my powerbyace pan yet, but I'll try and remember to post here when it does.
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Buy the pan mod kit and pickup from powerbyace, cut the pan yourself and have it tig welded.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:13 pm

He offers a complete pan now. I have that on order. At least I hope I do. He isn't very good about confirming that he received payment, or sending tracking numbers. I guess if you're the only one in the business, you can get away with questionable customer service...
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm

I decided to modify my ls1 pan. Spectra premium is the O.E. supplier for the LS1 98-02 Camaro oil pan. It is a U.S. made casting. The part number is GMP77A. It is available from Autozone for $143.99 plus tax after 20% off and free shipping when bought online. It includes the hardware, gasket, and the oil sender adapter that can be drilled for your sender or fitting, etc.
There is no need to pay for the pan to be milled. Cut it with a decent hand grinder. I used new 6" metal cutoff wheel and a new metal grinding wheel. I also bought a stainless wire wheel.
I drilled out the rivets that hold the gasket and removed the pan baffle. I used machinists dye at the areas where I needed to scribe the pan. After dye dried, I made a mark at the pan rail at the centerline of the first side bolt hole. Then, using the measurements from powerbyace, I measured back 8 3/8".Then I used a combination square to mark upwards along side of pan. I made a second line 1/8" inside of this line. I measured 6 1/8" forward from the first line and marked the rail. Again I made a second mark 1/8" inside the first mark. After doing both sides I connected the lines.
I used a $8 measuring caliper set to 7/8" and measured up (pan is upside down) from the pan rail. I just dragged the caliper along bottom and side of pan. I then made a second scribe line 1/8" above the first. I screwed the pan to a wooden bench top to keep it from jumping around while I was using the grinder. I cut to the inner scribe lines then used the grinder to sneak up to the final scribe lines. I had to unscrew pan from bench to get at the bracing that has to be cut on inside.
I fitted the rear piece first, then the bottom. The front piece drops in and needs no fitting. After everything was tightly fitted. I wire wheeled all surfaces to be welded.
I did some searching of local businesses and after being told not interested or quoted ridiculous prices, I found Mariah Metal Products. On their facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/mariahmetal/ph ... 01/?type=3 there is a picture of a cast oil pan that was modified to fit a hellcat engine into a jeep. Things looked promising, so I paid $175 to have pan welded. There is some minor warpage along front of rail - I am guessing .020". I can lay pan on flat floor, kneel on sump and push down on front and it lays flat so I think the bolts should pull it flat when I install it on the engine. So far I am into the pan and pickup for approximately $550.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:33 pm

pictures of welded pan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm

check your messages.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm

My pan came, and while the welds don't look super pretty, they're probably acceptable. "Ace" told me that he doesn't do aluminum welding in-house anymore, so perhaps it's gotten better since the early days of this product. It does look like it has some minor warpage when you lay it on a marble counter top, but I don't think it's enough to keep it from sealing. Life has gotten in the way the last couple of weekends, so I haven't had a chance to install it yet. We shall see how it goes...
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:35 pm

good, just make sure to take out the baffle and cleanout sump.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:16 pm

You mean take out the baffle to clean the sump, then put the baffle back on?
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm

n8thenetninja wrote:You mean take out the baffle to clean the sump, then put the baffle back on?
yes and take out stub for oil filter and clean out passages.
monzaaddict

Next

Return to General Discussion