Sunbird with Monza Spyder/Mirage bumpers?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Sunbird with Monza Spyder/Mirage bumpers?

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:55 pm

I am considering some different body mods as I begin the overwhelming rust repair process. I’m not a big fan of the large, and also very plain, chrome bumpers that came on these cars. I’m looking to do something unusual for these cars stylistically and wondered if anyone had ever fit the hatch rear fiberglass covered bumpers on the rear of a sunbird town coupe? Or the front for that matter. If you remember seeing any threads where someone has done this, please include a link or a pic below. I think the rear bumper cover would be a good look, but I don’t think I would like it in the front. I’m considering ditching the front bumper or modifying it to be shorter or include some fog lights/grills.

For reference I’m looking to build my town coupe up in a style similar to Datsun 510s. Not JDM but USDM...thoughts and suggestions (other than just buy one of those style cars lol)?
1979 Pontiac Sunbird (currently undergoing restoration) with the old duke and a 4 speed
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Re: Sunbird with Monza Spyder/Mirage bumpers?

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm

they made a sport coupe with the rubber front and metal rear bumpers http://www.hongliyangzhi.com/chevrolet/ ... za-coupe/8
monzaaddict

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Thanks Monzaaddict, that doesn’t look bad...guess I’ll have to get Inkscape going and see what I end up with. Anything on the rear or a rear conversion? Or a front conversion for that matter? Just would like some idea of what I might be getting myself into before I commit and start buying parts...
1979 Pontiac Sunbird (currently undergoing restoration) with the old duke and a 4 speed
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:45 am

What I think would be interesting would be to trim down the rear, steel bumper to be the same height as the front bumper, make it look more symmetrical. Then you would have to create a roll pan for the back, but I think it would be a great look with the 4 headlight front. I realize that you would need some serious metal fab skills but it would be an interesting exercise.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 am

Both my front and rear bumper are massive on the bird. I’m contemplating modifying the front to include some fog lights and maybe some cutouts for air flow similar to a Ventura. The roll pan is a good idea, I just liked the early “rear diffuser” look of the spider rear bumpers but I realized in short order I couldn’t even find one to use. So for now I’m focused on fixing what I got and going from there. My other car had the engine lock up on the interstate a couple weeks ago so now the bird is my daily. I really enjoy driving it but it slows down the restoration process.
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Return to General Discussion