Vega & Monza front brake rotors

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Vega & Monza front brake rotors

Postby 77 Spyder » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:07 am

Its been a while so I am hoping somebody can refresh my memory & bring me up to speed..... :D

Do the Monza & vega rotors interchange? Thinking about changing my 77 Monza into a 5 lug so it opens up my wheel possibilities. I thought about it 13 years ago when I restored the car & decided to keep
it factory. Then a year later I had custom hub adapters made so I could install some 15X8 FWD 4X100mm wheels with 225/50/15 tires. I really like how it sits as the outer diameter or the tires are not much larger than the 13" tires. But, I have never been a big fan of the FWD styled wheels. Looks ok, just not what I would really like.

So, now I am looking to possibly convert to 5 lug, but don't want to get into spindle replacement. I really want to have the option of going back to the 13" rally wheels if I chose down the road. Hoping I can find a set of rotors that can either be re-drilled, or replaced with 5 lug, and maybe in the rear installing the S-10 axles & brake drums.

Anything new with this in 2020? or are we still up against a wall with re-drilling being the only option for keeping the stock spindles? :mrgreen:

I did find this listed for a Vega, but at 11" I am guessing its a completely different animal? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-II-Fro ... Sw5y9dFpKV

Thanks guys!
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: Vega & Monza front brake rotors

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:28 pm

hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:13 pm

I just redrilled my front rotors (Moser Engineering). I changed my solid rotors on my 75 Monza to later vented rotors by swapping late model spindles and I did not want to swap spindles again. Also, considering S10 rotors are only slightly bigger than stock Monza and the caliper utilizes the same 2.5" piston I don't really consider the S10 brakes that much better. I did use the smaller 5 x 4 1/2" pattern which fits the rotor hat better and also worked with the wheels I had. Otherwise, here is the step by step to convert to S10 spindles. http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 am

FWIW - Having just completing the S-10 brake upgrade - I would consider it a significant upgrade.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm

did you use the speedway 3 piece spindles? did you use bob gumm balljoint adapters? any alignment issues? slow steering? wide turning radius? did you use offset upper bushings to lengthen or shorten upper arm? are wheels pushed outward? Where are lower adjusters - all the way in, out, middle? Did you use stock 7/8" master?
monzaaddict

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am

cjbiagi wrote:I just redrilled my front rotors (Moser Engineering). I changed my solid rotors on my 75 Monza to later vented rotors by swapping late model spindles and I did not want to swap spindles again. Also, considering S10 rotors are only slightly bigger than stock Monza and the caliper utilizes the same 2.5" piston I don't really consider the S10 brakes that much better. I did use the smaller 5 x 4 1/2" pattern which fits the rotor hat better and also worked with the wheels I had. Otherwise, here is the step by step to convert to S10 spindles. http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm

Only problem with this approach in 2020 is new rotor availability, almost NIL! You must also use the Ford/Dodge 4 1/2" Bolt Circle as I feel that the GM 4 3/4" BC will weaken the rotor too much, as it will require some deep scallops into the "Hat" area of the rotor.
Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am

Yes, I did do the 5 x 4 1/2" pattern which worked well with the wheels I already had. Rotor availability? Naw, I have plenty LOL
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Clyde I'm calling you a "Hoarder" the shame! Harry :lol:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion