Rust prone areas

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Rust prone areas

Postby Joey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:59 am

Hey There,

this winter I am about to start my new project which is a 74 pontiac astre.
This car came from arizona and is completely rust free.
It has some little surface rust underneath but nothing that cant be solved with a wire brush and some sand blasting.
Now my main concern is that I want to protect this car against rust for the rest of it's lifetime.
I will be using this car as a daily driver and I live in the Netherlands...so lots of rain and salt on the roads when it snows.
So because we have a lot of rust problems in this part of the world there are also a lot of products available. (ill be using caprotech rx5 rx7 rx10 and mike sanders vett)

The main question is, where are the hidden spots that these cars like to rust that needed protection from factory.
Ill be stripping the car down to coat it and I don't care to spend some good money on it for good protection.
Rather do it now than welding and re painting in 5 years.

All advice is welcome
Joey

Re: Rust prone areas

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:23 am

~ You will find that by removing both front fenders an area that captures road debris and leaves that does not drain water well will be exposed to you for cleaning and undercoating.
~ Hatchback and trunk lid gasket valleys do not like to drain well
~ Rear quarter panels behind the rear wheels does not like to drain well
~ Doors and rocker panels do not drain well.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:~ You will find that by removing both front fenders an area that captures road debris and leaves that does not drain water well will be exposed to you for cleaning and undercoating.
~ Hatchback and trunk lid gasket valleys do not like to drain well
~ Rear quarter panels behind the rear wheels does not like to drain well
~ Doors and rocker panels do not drain well.

I would add the vent wells will fill with leaf debris and rot there, add some protective screens under the hood at the base of the windshield [Clyde has a number of posts showing his "fix" for this: cjbiagi memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5 he has a few posts so it will take a minute, or two to find it, he will likely show up and may trim the search for you] for protection and add your prefered rust protection from inside through the lower kick panel vents to round out the biggest ones, outside of typical rocker panels and the area's behind the rear facia, not usually enough paint up there! Did the '74 have inner fender panels I know the early ones did not and the Monza did ('75)? If not those area's will take a beating and will need additional protection, and all should get annual touch-ups. Rust never sleeps! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Joey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:25 pm

thanks a lot! i will have a look into these areas.
also into cjbiagi his posts. Any more advice into improving draining are welcome.
luckily I have inner fender panels.
Joey

Return to General Discussion