Master Cylinder

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Master Cylinder

Postby DarthVega » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:27 pm

Got lucky today, found a GU6 G80 2wd rear at the scrap yard, want to ask you guys about the disc/disc master cylinder in the blazer, has anybody used one or should I look for a Corvette one? I’m no braking guru but the lines brakes and such work in the Blazer why not use one from it?
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Master Cylinder

Postby DarthVega » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:12 pm

GU6 G80 rear I pulled today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Smiley » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:11 am

That looks like a 7.5",the Blazer lines are different size than a Vega.
Smiley

Postby DarthVega » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:15 am

Smiley wrote:That looks like a 7.5",the Blazer lines are different size than a Vega.

Yeah it is a 7.5, i was planning on using the blazer lines, and the Master cylinder, I know the diameter is bigger, is the length gonna be a problem?

Thanks for the reply
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 am

Brakes work on pressure, not volume. I wouldn't sweat the size of the lines. If you're using the Blazer dual piston front brakes and a power booster, there wouldn't be a problem using the Blazer 1" bore master. Without a booster, you would probably want to drop down to a 7/8" or 15/16" bore master. If you're using something other than the Blazer front brakes, you'll have to experiment with the master size and an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes.

Be aware, though, that you'll probably have to make some clearance in the inner fender opening to clear those large rear calipers.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby DarthVega » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 am

Ten 4, thanks for the heads up, I have some plans to radius the fenders and use 4” flares, want to run 17’s with a offset rear, all things such as the calipers have to be accounted for, especially when fabrication or substitution is involved. I have S10 single piston front brakes, should I go for the two piston or will they be ok?
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:54 am

It would be easier with the 2-piston calipers, then you can use the Blazer master/booster/prop valve all as a system. I used the dual-piston spindles on my Vega successfully, but I modified them to use C4 Corvette calipers.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby DarthVega » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am

cosvega76 wrote:It would be easier with the 2-piston calipers, then you can use the Blazer master/booster/prop valve all as a system. I used the dual-piston spindles on my Vega successfully, but I modified them to use C4 Corvette calipers.

Chuck

I can go grab the dual calipers as they are still there at the junkyard, will the blazer calipers work on the S10 rotors or should I grab the whole enchilada?
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:04 am

DarthVega wrote:Ten 4, thanks for the heads up, I have some plans to radius the fenders and use 4” flares, want to run 17’s with a offset rear, all things such as the calipers have to be accounted for, especially when fabrication or substitution is involved. I have S10 single piston front brakes, should I go for the two piston or will they be ok?

Whether you put flares on and greater offset wheels for wheel clearance, it does not change the position of the rear brake calipers. They will hit the inner wheel well if they are in the stock S10 position. I would do a test fit of the rear axle before doing any other work.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby DarthVega » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 am

hammerdown7 wrote:
DarthVega wrote:Ten 4, thanks for the heads up, I have some plans to radius the fenders and use 4” flares, want to run 17’s with a offset rear, all things such as the calipers have to be accounted for, especially when fabrication or substitution is involved. I have S10 single piston front brakes, should I go for the two piston or will they be ok?

Whether you put flares on and greater offset wheels for wheel clearance, it does not change the position of the rear brake calipers. They will hit the inner wheel well if they are in the stock S10 position. I would do a test fit of the rear axle before doing any other work.

Dick

Alright, and thanks, and I see what you mean, it will probably hit or touch on the back or inner side where tubbing takes place, hopefully it won’t be as bad, I plan on getting new tubular control arms, I know from our H body brother Burnouts and Rotorblades he had to fabricate his control arms
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Smiley » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm

All the parts between the balljoints are different for the dual piston Blazer front brakes,
Spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, lines.
So grab everything off the Blazer if you go back.
Smiley

Postby DarthVega » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Smiley wrote:All the parts between the balljoints are different for the dual piston Blazer front brakes,
Spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, lines.
So grab everything off the Blazer if you go back.

Ok, I’m not sure if I wanna buy all that again, if I can get a disc/disc Master maybe it will be ok, if not I’ll go back to grab them.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Return to General Discussion