H-Body Hood Specifications

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

H-Body Hood Specifications

Postby noxqus » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 pm

I have a 73 Vega Hatchback that I would like to put hood hinges on, problem is, this is a race car and none of the original chassis where the hinges were located is there. We have located and put mounts for the pivot point and manufacture the actual hinge arms. Now to get this to work we need measurements from an actual original hood which we don't have. Our hood is a glass hood which doesn't have the reinforcement behind the surface, ours is just flat with a lip around the outside edge for strength. So we thought we would go to restorers like most of you which do have original stuff. I have managed to get a screen shot of a H- Body Pontiac from You Tube of one of your members who was modifying the hinge mounts. On the screen shot I have modified area's that we need measurements from. If you that have original hoods could give us a hand and measure your hoods we would be grateful. My file is too big so I will include a link to my one drive https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akkmp2mV8n0UxSjmWBV ... E?e=wgczo9
If you could respond in a reply with the color and measurement that would be great. Being that I have found the thicknesses of various division H- body hoods are different we thought maybe 5 samples would get us there. Thank you all for your help in advance.
noxqus

Re: H-Body Hood Specifications

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 am

If you are in or near Central Florida, I have a rotten 74 Vega hood with both hinges still intact that you can have for free as I do not need it. Let me know soon, as I am getting rid of the vega carcass. I intend to remove the stock rear end from the carcass and outfit it with either S-10 or 80 Camaro axles so it will be "vega ready" in case someone wants it.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:16 pm

74 Vega rear end would be a 6.5”
so it will not take S10 axles
Smiley

Postby noxqus » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm in north FL. near Mobile AL. I appreciate the offer, could you measure that hood where indicated by drawing and post the results on the forum before you throw it away?
noxqus

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am

Smiley wrote:74 Vega rear end would be a 6.5”
so it will not take S10 axles

They worked in the Cosworth rear end that we are using..with the spacer made from a drum, to keep the backplate from scrubbing the wheel cylinder. Oh, ...I remember now, ..the rear end in the Vega carcass out in the yard came out of a Monza and we did not use the torque arm, so it has the bolt holes for the torque arm. We had to replace the stock rear end after rebuilding the 4-banger and dumping the clutch spit out the ring and pinion, tore it up. That 4-banger is on an engine stand waiting for a home.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am

noxqus wrote:I'm in north FL. near Mobile AL. I appreciate the offer, could you measure that hood where indicated by drawing and post the results on the forum before you throw it away?

I saved your drawing, I'll go out and make the measurements for you sometime today and get back with you.
74_Vega_GT

Return to General Discussion