Coil spring installation

Moderator: Moderators

Coil spring installation

Postby dindin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:48 am

So I am ready to install my springs in my Cosworth with no motor or trans in it, I have read on here the threaded rod through the upper shock hole is a preffered easy way..

So i went to home depot and got my 1/2" threaded and associated parts..

anything I should be watching out for when doing this??

Do I just crank up the spring untill I can swing over the control arm over and attach the spindle to the ball joints?

I see on one side of the spring has a little notch, I think this is bottom correct??

Thanks Guys
Al
dindin

Re: Coil spring installation

Postby chevyart » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:12 pm

al from what they say, you need to first suit up with full body armor and head gear. thaTS ALL I KNOW. THE SMART GUYS WILL TELL YOU THE REST. IM LISTENING TOO, AS I MUST DO THIS JOB IN THE NEAR FUTURE ART
chevyart

Postby crawfw » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm

I used a strut compresser rather than a spring compresser, at least that's what I think it was called. I had a discussion with some on here about it and thereare some pics. Ill try to find it and attach something on here. You certainly don't want to use anything that has a chance of slipping off although what I used prob would've kept it from flying out unless it broke in some fashion. I'm not sure I'd use all thread stock. It may bend and possible snap in half.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby crawfw » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:59 pm

This is what I used. You will probably have to ream out your top shock hole slightly to get it to slide through. Removed the upper arms that just slide around and used the threaded lower arms to hold the spring and compress. Just be careful and compress it slowly and make sure its not going to slide. I've heard people using metal bands as they compress the spring just to be extra careful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crawfw

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 pm

Al that will be a "BEAR" without engine and trans! You will have no weight to press the spring against to get this together, so it will be ALL Compressor! I have used that type of compressor and banding and just the car with a jack but I don't remember which I used on the H-body's that was back in '84/'85. The drive would point down out the shock hole in the lower and remove that way as well. A spring shop will be able to band those for you, this does help a lot! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Guys..I let you know how I end up doing it..May the force be with me. :P

Al
dindin

Postby CaptainPainn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 am

I did it on my car. It may not have been the smartest thing, but I found use wedging a board between the car and the ceiling. It compressed it enough to start the threaded rod.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby dindin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:38 am

I tried the threaded rod trick and it did not want to depress the spring enough and got very hard to turn and chewed up the threads on the rod..But I think I have the spring in upside down . I have the flat side down but I see from reading it should be flat side up, guess I should have took notice when I removed it :bang:

I did notice the car is so light I can lift it with a crow bar under the control arm :lol:

My garage is under my bedroom, I don't think my wife would be too happy if something happened and a 2x4 went up into the room :(

Anyway I look at the project like a rubiks cube..Just keep trying till I get it.
Al
dindin

Postby crawfw » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the flat side does go down.. you might want to invest in the spring compresser I showed you a pic of. those threads will not get chewed no matter how much you tighten it.
its what it is made for. I ended up throwing a thick furniture pad over the spring as I got mine really compressed in case something happened. But there was no issues.
Just be sure to get the upper end of the spring indexed in the correct spot. If you look up into the spring pocket you will see where the end of the last coil sits.
Flat part of the spring definitely goes into the lower control arm.
And yes you will prob have a problem with no engine and trans weight getting the spindle attached.
If theres any way you can sit the block in the engine bay it would be of great benefit.
crawfw

Postby dindin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks, so flat is down for sure? Another tool to add to my one time use collection :lol:

Al
dindin

Postby chevyart » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:44 pm

just be careful Al. some guys wrap a chain in there around the spring so nothing can fly out. look in the search section on our forum. alot of good post on how to do this job safely and properly. good luck and keep us posted art
chevyart

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Al "Redi-Rod" [or all thread] does come in at least two grades (from one of the suppliers I use, and an Internet search just adds choices so if you can find it get a "Higher" grade rod for these high tension jobs) and even the store bought compressor will benefit from some lube on the threads as an afterthought. I should have mentioned that earlier. :( You should look on-line for the write up on this there is a spot that a punch [or nail etc.] is inserted and the spring is rotated against it, to insure proper height setting. if you can't find that or no one else comes up with some pic's I'll post from the GM manual, but it will be a few days. Harry P.S. Al I didn't say anything about "Good Wood" in the bedroom, that was all you! :lol: Sorry about veering away from the "PG" rating! :rolleyes:
dindin wrote:if something happened and a 2x4 went up into the room :(
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:36 am

The flat end goes up, you need to index the tangential end (like the coil was just "cut off") properly into the lower control arm. There is a hole drilled near the point where the end of the coil should be.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby crawfw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:16 am

apparently the vegas are different than the other h bodies.
crawfw

Postby dindin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

I noticed when the flat side is up is curves slightly and should go into the pocket easier which is why I thought I had it in upside down, I have a chain looped in just in case also..Thanks for the tips guys its my first time and hopefully I get it back together..

Al
Last edited by dindin on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dindin

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech