Brake booster- which to use

Moderator: Moderators

Brake booster- which to use

Postby 76wagon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm doing the S10 brake conversion and planning to run the S10 master cylinder. I need a smaller booster than stock to make room for a clutch master cylinder. Been going over my options and here's the choices I've come up with

Summit sells 7" boosters in single and double diaphragm versions. I'm not sure what kind of difference single and double diaphragm makes. I'd guess a double would have a softer pedal feel, correct me if I'm wrong

OR they also sell one for a 70's Corolla at 5" diameter, this would be ideal for clearance. My only concern would be this booster giving me a really stiff pedal feel, I've ran manual brakes and don't like a stiff brake pedal.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Crazy ideas are great too, I'm a mould maker with a full machine shop at my disposal so I can build or modify just about anything. I might be hitting the wreckers monday, maybe I'll come across something perfect at half the price...

Phill
76wagon

Re: Brake booster- which to use

Postby Cotterb » Sat May 04, 2013 12:04 am

I'm running the Summit 7" dual booster. It is nice and compact compared to the factory booster. Pedal feel is very nice, not too hard. You will have to cut off the old booster brackets that bolt to the firewall and bolt them to the new booster to line everything up. I would recommend buying the adapter kit so the brake pedal will mate up to the new booster without a problem.
-Ben
Cotterb

1977 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Cotterb » Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 am

Here is a pic of my setup.

-Ben
Cotterb

Postby 76wagon » Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Looks pretty slick. That was the direction I was leaning so it's nice to hear about the exact setup I was considering. What are you running for the master cylinder? I'm planning on using a stock S10 piece, guess I should measure it upto make sure it'll fit.

I also like the idea of reusing the old booster brackets. Right now I have a Mustang booster bolted right to the firewall, gives very little room for the clutch master.

Guess all that's left is to bite the bullet and actually buy the stuff now....

Phill
76wagon

Postby Cotterb » Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 pm

At first I had a Monza master cylinder on it (7/8"), and with S10 calipers and stock drums, the pedal feel was just ok, stopping power was decent for street driving. On the track, it was horribly inadequate. I replaced the rears with a disc brake kit from Summit, installed a prop valve meant for disc/disc setups, and an adjustable bias valve. This created way too much pedal travel, so I went up to a 1" bore master and the Summit booster, which stiffened up the pedal quite a bit.
-Ben
Cotterb

Postby SierraT » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 am

I know its been awhile but, where did you get brackets to mount to firewall?
SierraT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech