Track Change with S10 Conversion?

Moderator: Moderators

Track Change with S10 Conversion?

Postby Mark in INdiana » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Hey guys. For my 76 Vega Project, I’m taking measurements and making plans for the S10 5 lug and brake up grade. Also looking at wheel and tire fitment at the same time.
So my question is: has anyone measured the distance across the front rotor wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face dimension before and after? Does the S10 conversion increase or decrease the wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face dimension? By how much does it change? Also, does the distance from top of tire to the top of the fender opening arch change and if so by how much?
The bottom line is how much does the conversion affect tire clearance?
Thank you for your help.
Mark
Mark in INdiana

Re: Track Change with S10 Conversion?

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:36 am

I had once found a page, either here or over at V8 Monza that had dimensional comparison of the two spindles, wish I could find it now!
But memory seems to recall that the main difference is that the lower BJ mount tab is longer [1/4"], that is the reason for moving the lower Ball Joint in [and forward to adjust for the cars limited alignment adjustments and maybe a slight positional differences in location of spindle to steering axis on the spindles. I hope that brings you closer to the answers you are looking for Harry
http://h-body.org/index.html
http://dave.h-body.org/H-body%20Conversion%20Tips.htm
http://www.v8monza.com/
That will give you some reading that doesn't pop-up as easily as it once did.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:02 pm

If you use the Bob gumm taper adapters the bottom will be out a 1/4” more.
If you use offset upper control arm bushings to correct the camber the top and bottom will be out a 1/4”
If you convert to S10 ball joints the lower sleeve is welded inward a 1/4” and the upper is fine so the wheel stays in the stock location.
Try to use a 7” front wheel with 4.25” to 4.5” backspace, skinny 4-5” wheels put the tire closer to the fender lip.
Smiley

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am

the lower control arm adjusters can be used to move arm inward if not already but you then need adjustable uppers.
monzaaddict

Postby Mark in INdiana » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you for the responses. I understand all the control arm and ball joint information. I’m really looking for KSI point to wheel mounting face on the rotor distance comparison for the Vega and the S10. I’ll keep looking. Thanks..
Mark in INdiana

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech