S10 spindle v Monza spindle

Moderator: Moderators

Re: S10 spindle v Monza spindle

Postby keithnh » Thu May 11, 2023 12:19 pm

Have a 78 Sunbird/Astre wagon. Want to use S10 5-lug front and rear and happens to be 2 S10's complete in junkyard a friend works. He will cut out whatever I need .. just gotta grab before they're gone. Not sure the years are viable donors for the project "Little Injun". Will have a Pontiac 400 where the Buick 215 V8 was. Plan on an auto trans tho it was a 4spd. Hope to have a 5 lug sturdier drive train and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what parts I should grab. Might be able to have 2 projects worth cut out if someone else here is looking. Parts trucks in NH near Manchester. Also like to know of possible H-body conversion suppliers that might have that info as well as other parts I would need to complete project. Thanks Keith
keithnh

Postby cosvega76 » Fri May 12, 2023 8:23 am

Any 2WD with the single-piston caliper will work (so will the Blazer 2WD with the dual-piston, but the brake system will need a different calibration), so grab everything attached to the spindle: rotor, caliper, maybe even the brake hose. BUT! you will either need V8Monza.com's ball joint spacers, or modify your control arms for the S10 ball joints. There are several threads here covering that. With the single-piston calipers, your 7/8" bore master cylinder should be okay.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby keithnh » Sat May 13, 2023 11:50 am

Thanks! May grab tranny and driveshaft too, I did not see what was in them. I have a good 3spd auto trans coming from my RWD 84 Cutlass with 3.8/V6 I am converting to 4-spd stick, am not sure what tranny is but it will possibly bolt up to 400 Pontiac as it was on a 3.8 Buick motor. Not sure, dont really want a trans adaptor. Dont know if could be beefed to handle big ponies. Have a Chevy and BOP TH's in basement .. will see if I can find a measuring trick to quickly ID on car to ID S10 bolt pattern. If bolt patterns match I think trans will interchange. (?) S10 rear may not be strong enough for big ponies but hopefully will fit my Astre wagon and at least provide me with 5lug setup with correct axle lengths I can upgrade from.
keithnh

Postby cosvega76 » Sun May 14, 2023 10:31 am

Do you know if the Cutlass transmission is a TH350 or TH200? The 200 won't stand a chance behind a 400. If it is a short tailshaft housing TH350, you shouldn't have an issue with the installation, except for possible bellhousing clearance. The automatic will be more forgiving to the rear end.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby keithnh » Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 am

Believe a TH200. Have a BOP TH350 behind an olds 350 I have to go rescue as well. Just read an article where TH200 are the "new" Powerglide with an extra gear and are being used in circle track racing. Possibly as they are plentiful and cheap as well as have internals that spin up faster?(according to article). Apparently there are aftermarket performance parts available. I think for durability the larger trans would be a safer bet. Wonder if TH200 used in S10? Might be in one of those parts s10's??
keithnh

Postby cosvega76 » Mon May 15, 2023 8:16 am

The 200 will hold up if you want to spend the $$$ to enhance it. I'm not sure what the S-10 used, but a 3 speed trans may have been only in the '82, they used 700-R4s after that. But the S10 transmissions would have used a Chevy bellhousing for the 4 cylinder and the 4.3 V6, and the "metric"/FWD bellhousing for the 2.8 V6.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby keithnh » Mon May 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Thanks Chuck
Forgot about bolt pattern difference, bet those s10's both have 700r4 will check next wkend. I might put the whole Cutlass power train into the little Astre just to get her running again legal with plates on. There was nothing wrong with it. Was just kinda blah in the performance dept. Would likely have to change motor/trans mounts and driveshafts when Pontiac motor ready. I had decided to build my own "302" chev for Cutty to make a nice street runner that was fun to drive and looked good, am still engaged in that, converting 84 Cutlass to minnie mouse/4spd, has nice paint and interior. The Astre wagon was meant to be my most serious street/strip squirrel. With a big pony Poncho 400. Appliance white with little red arrowhead on front and license plates. Keith
keithnh

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech