How to get the dash clock to work

Tips, tricks, tools...

Moderator: Moderators

How to get the dash clock to work

Postby zeke » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:25 pm

The clock is pretty much the same as most mechanical clocks except it has an electromagnetic solenoid that rewinds the clock spring every minute or so. When the springs winds down, a set of contacts are closed and 12 volts energises the coils which kick a ratchet mechanism to wind the spring and separate the contacts. This design uses much less power than a motorized one would.

1) Remove instrument panel cover - 4 screws
2) Remove one phillips head screw holding clock in it's lower left.
3) Slide clock over to the left and out towards you.
4) Disconnect orange power wire. Remove clock.
5) Place test light clamp on metal clock mounting plate and tip on power wire. If good proceed to step 6. If no power is present, check fuse and to see if black ground wire is hooked to clock mounting plate. It's on the backside and hard to get at. The dash is plastic so it needs this.
6) Chances are that the 40 year old mechanism has dried out and just needs oiling!
7) Bend the 4 tabs up straight, that hold the rear cover on, and remove it.
8. Use a pin oiler and lubricate all the mechanism pivot points.
9) Hook up 12 volts and you should hear a click from rewinding the mechanism if it isn't ticking already.
10) If it still doesn't work, check the contact in the center for carbon buildup. Also check continuity thru solenoid coils. ~40 ohms
11) The tabs are hard to bend so I just used hot glue to hold the rear cover back on.

There is a slider adjustment screw that changes tension on the govenor spring that would affect clock accuracy. When I figure which way is what, I'll update this thread.

Both clocks I checked started working with lubrication. xD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: How to get the dash clock to work

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 am

Great instruction manual on the clock Chris, I'm going to share it with Cosworth FB page, thank you for the info.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby gerbsinmd » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am

I'll have to get some of that pin point lube. I have a digital clock for my Mirage, that keeps time if I lube it every couple of months, I need something like that to get right at the points that need it.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby zeke » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 am

Never did get it to be accurate. I think the governor spring gets fatigued after 40 years. There is an adjustment that I played with for a bit but finally gave up. Unplugged the clock and set it for Timex time lol
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Restoration Tips