GM Dealer-sold IMSA Monza

Best technical articles on the forums. Send nominations to the admins. You can reply to topics but only admins can make new ones.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: GM Dealer-sold IMSA Monza

Postby stage169 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:39 pm

That does look like the Rapide whale tail. Nice piece!

More details from Jack, membership +1 :th:

Hi, Brian; I finally perused the site in total. Good job on disseminating the info. Great site, too. I'll have to join up.

As an additional answer, you and some of your members ( Eagle Fish and Marco) are observant as to the black-out effect on the vehicles on the car haulers (I was misunderstanding the original question).

For a starter: We had die-cut masks that would allow us to black-out out the headlight recesses with paint. A decal would not be workable because of the tight compound surface development. The original proposal was to have removable darkened plexi headlight covers to smooth out the nose a'la racecar but a durable, feasible solution was quite involved plus GM Legal didn't want to sponsor any hint of the final customer being responsible for making his/her vehicle meeting the FMVSS lighting "road rules" at his/her option.

This leads to the blackened lower grille which I think you folks are referring to. At the same time we painted the headlight recesses we also painted this lower center area in that semi gloss black. This didn't require a die cut mask, just three strips of wide masking tape. I believe we let the paint just fade and over spray under the valence as the front air dam install would clean this up to a knife edge paint break.

BTW, the black Monza in the bone yard may have been a different vehicle than the MATC1 in the photos. I believe the pin stripes on the gold are far too small. I'll see if I can find more photos. You guys are good! You are all bringing back memories; many are for me faded and I wouldn't bet for a minute than y'all can probably correct me on some points.

Hope this helps and I'll get back w/ you in a couple of days. Kind regards...jack
stage169

Postby fyrftr50 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Nice work Brian, this has been great reading. Now I am being forced to vastly revamp my Mirage page at some point this winter. Maybe I'll just make it easy and make a link to someone else's work ... or even better, this thread. :P
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 am

I know for a lot of us the entertainment scale is pegged! Your site and the others people here have is the only way I ever had a clue because back in the day I just knew you could have a V8 :D I'm constantly going back to it for reference.

Have you had a chance to talk to Chuck? Hope he finds that build sheet! If we get the chance to find out the story behind his car that will be another good one! Brian
stage169

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I emailed Chuck a while back about it but never received anything back. I'll try again in hopes of hearing something.

By the way, did Kurt Shubert (wildaboutcars.com) ever contact you He emailed me asking for your email.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:44 pm

I just sent you an email and then saw your post. No I haven't seen an email from Kurt? Brian
stage169

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm

The IMSA Monza that started this thread has been sold, which would explain why Chuck stopped replying to any of my emails. The new owner just contacted me asking for info about his new IMSA Monza, and after a couple emails he finally send s apic that my computer was able to open, and voila. The red/black IMSA that is on page 1 of this thread. Hopefully he can help shed more light into this car for us. I've directed him here so hopefully he joins up.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Outside of H-body confusion :D , what state is he in?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

No idea where it ended up, it was in Alabama.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby IMSA75AL » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I just bought the red IMSA car whcih was actually in GA but is now in TN. I'm still trying to get the exact details about this car and I'll add an update when I get any new info. This is my first Monza (after 34 years) and I'm looking forward to it.

Bryan,
Thanks for your help and for setting up this topic.
IMSA75AL

Postby fyrftr50 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey Al
nice to see you signed up, there are more than a few of us interested in the history of you IMSA Monza.
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

fyrftr50

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Welcome, great looking toy there. This is the place to find all the answers to maintaining and possible power-train mods.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby stage169 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Al glad you joined!

Brian
stage169

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:27 pm

It's always cool when someone who gets one of these cool cars, registers here to participate, so welcome aboard..

Could it be that Diversified Glass Products was the place that actually purchased the car as a showcase for there panels? I can picture that car on the showroom floor at the old "Dobi" Headquarters, Or any company that was involved in accessories for these cars.

It would seem that if there was some sort of customer availability of this package, there would be a few more out there..

It would be cool to find out that this car was created in some back corner skunk works set-up at the St. Therese assembly plant.

I could see maybe a top tier dealership setting up this car for display on the showroom floor, to introduce the car...then eventually it gets sold off like any other monza...
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Brian, I might have missed it but did you ask Jack if he knew anyone at Diversified Glass? They were less than 20 miles apart.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby stage169 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 pm

marco_1978_spyder wrote:It would be cool to find out that this car was created in some back corner skunk works set-up at the St. Therese assembly plant.

There you go!!! I never can keep straight where the cars were made for what year but I look at the report and for 75 all the hatchbacks were made in Canada.

Al if you don't already know this maybe a great source of information for your car. http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/ You can get from GM the vehicle option information for your car. Might just shed some light on the IMSA panels I hope. It will show what dealership received the car with all the options listed. Lots of us here have these reports so if you want to see what you can expect we can post some examples. Not cheap but I think it is worth it.

hammerdown7 wrote:Brian, I might have missed it but did you ask Jack if he knew anyone at Diversified Glass? They were less than 20 miles apart.

Dick

No I haven't but that is a good idea. Brian
stage169

PreviousNext

Return to Best Of