Help! 2013 v6 engine swap

Moderator: Moderators

Help! 2013 v6 engine swap

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Just bought a 2013 camaro 3.6 w 6 spd auto. Hoping to put it into my Mirage. 325 hp, less weight and sets back further than the 5.3 with the same hp. Is this going to fit? According to the previous owner, the measurement from outside of the head to the other side is about 20 inches. 2 inches wider than my small block that was in it. Sure I will lose the v8 rumble, and the cooler look under the hood. But honestly, it's more than twice the hp it came with, and hell.... I'm 52 and not as cool as I once thought I was :lol: :lol: . I can see I will have to relocate or remove the AC unit and probably modify the oil pan or crossmember. But I think the big question is the exhaust? Is this thing too wide? Will it fit, and what other issues might I run into that you Monza gurus can forsee? I want reliability and some spunk in the car, and not to work on it much after it's done. The older I get the less I like lifting the hood. Thanks
spyderhunter

Re: Help! 2013 v6 engine swap

Postby cammerjeff » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

it will fit in the engine compartment, but the step into the unknown is the motor mounts and oil pan clearance between the stock K-member and the steering linkage. I am sure it can be done, but it will probably require much fabrication. It will not ne a "bolt in" swap. Also what trans do you plan on using? If you plan on using your present trans a adaptor plate will be needed, if you plan on using the 2013 trans then the trans crossmember and mount will need to be made.

It would be a nice combo but not main stream.

Anouther thing to consider is the head width of the DOHC engine.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Return to Engine Tech