The LSx swap thread.. Parts lists and $$

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The LSx swap thread.. Parts lists and $$

Postby n8thenetninja » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 pm

The powerbyace pan is the only one I know of that (mostly) clears the stock steering linkage without using a hammer. Modifying a cast aluminum pan tends to come with warping issues as well. (I have a long thread about this) It's possible a steel pan could be modified in the same way and it might have a little more flex to tolerate warpage, but that's just a theory. My powerbyace pan wouldn't seal completely without machine work.

If I was going to do it again, I would get the tubular K-member with a rack and pinon from Overkill Racecars. According to the fabricator there, this gives you enough clearance for a deeper pan. I hope to turn my 6.0 into a 403 eventually, in which case I won't be able to use the powerbyace pan anymore. I might do the Overkill setup soon to prepare for that. I don't know yet if the powerbyace headers I have will work with it though. I'll update with my findings if I go that route.
https://www.facebook.com/OverkillRaceCarsLLC

If you are going to drag race the car, definitely talk to Overkill about tubular rear control arms and no-hop bars. The UMI uppers will break under moderate launch torque (also documented in another thread).

Another random thing I discovered is that the early corvette and f-body water pumps are the same, and have a long snout on the end that comes with radiator clearance issues. I eventually switched to the later corvette pump (2005ish?...) that has a flat pulley on it, giving you a lot more room to work with.

If you need a beefy rearend, talk to Quick Performance. They don't have it listed on their site, but I was able to special order a 9" with the stock 4-link brackets from them. If go that route, ask them to build the upper control arm mounts about 2" higher so you can use straight control arms and eliminate some wheel hop.

There's a lot that goes into this swap, but it's sure fun when it's done.
n8thenetninja

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Previous

Return to Engine Tech