imsa monza project-new dif parts

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

imsa monza project-new dif parts

Postby mldeolde » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

latest addition to the imsa resto and upgrade project is a summit raceing dif bearing support cover. no it's not permenant just a test fit . also the parts identifacation frustration continues. it seems according to the flange bolt pattern is an early MARK WILLIAMS 12 bolt diff not just a self modified GM unit. at first i thought it might be a Pontiac or Olds unit because of the round instead of square type that is stock CHEVY. :roll: :roll: :roll: the only type with the 3 inch bolt hole spacing in 12 bolts is the MARK WILLIAMS made one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby Kenova » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 pm

That's a rather odd axle flange. Does it have full floating housing ends?
Ken
Kenova

housing ends-

Postby mldeolde » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:21 pm

yes. it is a 24 spline full floater 12 bolt . as of yet of undetermined manufacture as with most things on this beast it's takeing a whole lot of researching to find out what is what............. :roll:
mldeolde

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:22 pm

I assume that's setup for disc brakes?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mldeolde » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 pm

YES CLYDE. IT HAS 11.75X 1.25 WHAT LOOKS TO BE FACTORY 70'S CORVETTE DISCS FRONT AND REAR. WHEN I FINALLY GOT THE REAR DISC OFF,IT WAS THEROUGHLY RUSTED TO THE DRIVE FLANGE, I NOTICED THAT THE DISC EVEN HAD THE LITTLE MINI DRUM INSIDE FOR A PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM BUT IT OBVIOUSLY WASN'T BEING USED.
mldeolde

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Hey Mldeolde,

Does your car have solid LCA's in the rear?

Is it still using the torque arm setup?

Iwas looking at the diff in the first picture and it looks strange....i know its not a stock set up but I was just wondering what type of suspension setup you where running.

Please and thank you
God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby mldeolde » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Shred: the answer to question number one is yes and heim jointed for full adjustment. question number two is a no. look up above the diff on driverside for the differential locating rod used in place of the torque arm. finally found out what i needed to know in identifying my diff. it seems that it is based on a later pontiac unit which has all internals same as chevy but with the odd circular pontiac/olds outer flange. this is great news as the pontiac/ olds have internals that are hard to come by and not as strong as the chevy 12 bolt. i took off the old diff yoke and found a 31 spline input not the 13 spline that is in the pontiac olds 12 bolts. as i was upgrading the diff yoke friday evening to a new spicer unit that will take the bigger nascar style 1350 universal joint that i also need for my new to me "USED NASCAR" 3 inch drive shaft. the spindley little custom drive shaft the car came with always scared me
mldeolde

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 pm

About that locating rod in place of the torque arm.

Do alot of guys run it like that? How is that going to plant the tires under acceleration?...I would think that the lateral rotation of the diff would put alot of stress on that mount....and instead of lifting the front, like the TA does, it would "pull" the rear down....?

Im not flaming your setup....its B.A., just questions.....it looks like a sideways panhard bar.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby mldeolde » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:19 pm

think roadrace not drag race. this suspension is geared more for handeling,cornering and adjustability not ultimate straight line traction. and yes it is quite an unusual setup as are a lot of things on this car. definately the Ausssies that put this together had no fear of doing somethings differently but it works for me. sometimes change is good!!!!!!!!!! BUT DON'T BLAIM ME I DIDN'T DO IT . I'M JUST THE ONE TRYING TO FIGURE ALL THIS UNIQUE STUFF OUT---------------------
mldeolde

Return to Project Journals