75 Monza 2+2 hatch sport dash GT behind the dash board

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

75 Monza 2+2 hatch sport dash GT behind the dash board

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Before I started carpet and seat's removed. :arrow: After removing the dash cluster cover, I was wondering what were my option's as to adding a new set of gauges as after the engine swap some of the gauge's were not working and I was sure a ground was at fault, and the tach had not worked even after reworking the tach filter. the filter mount's to the bracket on the manifold next to the HEI disributor ,,removing the glovebox door the card board clove box,,, dash pad hardware,,dash pad ,,, then droping the steering column, and removing all the screw's that go into the dash board assembly while not knowing for sure before,, I was sure some one had been inside in the past with loose screws and broken edge's on the mounting tab'sremoving all of the wiring was a breeze.,,,,Once the unit was out I decided that the 32 year old dash would be up graded with some new gauge's and the insulation at the cowl area and the dash top metal would be upgraded,,,Using new alluminum backed insulation to replace the plastic backed material that was causing dust to fall. Every time I hit a bump with the car. :!: Like all insulating material it rot's eventualy some faster as chemical's introduced by air the car suck's in.,,, i bought some from Eastwood out of the catalogue. It come's boxed 24" two foot by 6"foot section's. :arrow: After extensive two hour's vacumning and wash with acetone on the painted and primered area under dash :arrow: I cut with a straight edge and razor knife on a short flat work bench out side the car. :arrow: :arrow: First 4" by 24" AND SOME 2' BY 24' SOME 3' BY 24''and laid in the floor of the car and some times on the ground with my back at the rocker panel to push piece's in to place with the curve's of the cowl and area's near the firewall base,Using a marking pen I marked a piece to be cut shorter or for modification notch's having a helper would have sped up the process. :arrow: every piece was hand fitted and sprayed with 3-M interior and carpet insulator glue spray and held in place.,,( note it say's to spray a little on the area it attache's too.) :arrow: The trade name of this product is the INSULATOR 6'inch BY 2" feet.,,$19,99.,,, All of the cut off piece's were utilitilized by re cutting and filling the void's. ,It went faster than I thought it would,,and now it is no longer dark under the dash,, ,Oh I forgot the gauge's next post or two maybe,,,, MIKE 8) 8)
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Bacchus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Huh?
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

huh?

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Huh;? :arrow: With out picture's it's just a imaginary scene,,,, but I did take some pictures in case,,,I figure out how to post them,,seem's the alluminum backed insulation is blinding,,,,to the digital camera's general setting.,,, Mike hows' your's done??Mike. :shock:
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Project Journals