77 spyder

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

77 spyder

Postby Xethur » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:30 pm

well i've been hanging out for a while and i've finally decided to start my project journal. during deployment (yes i'm navy) i stumbled upon the description of a monza on wikipedia.com and after a little research i was in love. so when i got back i found myself a 77 monza spyder for $500. the body is in decent shape but it's w/o engine or tranny and has a ton of other little problems that need to be addressed. tommorow i plan to start my project by removing the interior. i'll post pictures tommorow. i have big plans for the monza. as far as interior i plan to gut it. i'm going to put in a 6 pt roll cage, build a sheet metal dash, lie down some duramat and cover with carpet, install two racing seats and harnesses, and put in a decent stereo. with drivetrain i'm slowly get the parts together for a 400+ hp 350 which i'm going to mate with either a NV3500 (if it will fit) or a TH350. for the rear end i'm going to either rebuild the stock one and put in a 3.43 posi or i'm going to use a 8.8 in out of an explorer. I'm going to go though the suspension and rebuild or modify for performance and handling. that going to be a learn as i go type deal though. suspension is not my thing. i'm probably going to use the roller method that gerbsinmd has been using. its cheap, what more can i say. the only other thing i want to do to the body is find a spyder decal for the hood and build some head light covers out of tinted Acrylic. i think the covers will give the monza a meaner and more aerodynamic look.

Hammer

oh and if anyone needs interior stuff let me know and i'll let you know the condition, post pictures and give a you a resonable price plus shipping.
Xethur

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 am

got armrests? I could also use a dome light and wouldn't mind changing the dash. mine doesn't have a tach, just a big gas guage. do you have any of those?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

pictures

Postby Xethur » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:10 am

Got a lot done today. i took out the seats, dash, seat belts, carpet, heater core and a/c plumbling, and a bunch of wiring. the floors turned out to be worse then i thought they would but they are restorable. Oh and i realized today its a 79 spyder not a 77. other then that things went well. yeah i don't know who's bright idea it was to paint the engine bay teal but i want to slap them. well looks like i can't post the pics here because of the size.

Hammer

alright i got pictures posted on photobucket. heres a link.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Xethur/
Xethur

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Thats a strange color for an Hbody . Is it stock ? If so it maybe a rarety because I've never seen one like that. Doug in AZ 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:49 pm

someone was just looking for factory a/c parts. not sure if they found everything yet.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm

The outside green looks to be the med green met. of 1978...(looks like a 78 too, the nose is a '78)

it was the rarest color for 1978.

not the engine compartment though.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Xethur » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:22 pm

no the color isn't orginal and it wasn't very well painted. i think i'm going with black when i paint it.

yeah i saw the wanted just hadden't gotten around to posting on it.

well i dewired everything today. it always amazes me what people will do instead of buying a 50 cent connecter or 2 dollar spool of good wire. And seriously who needs electrical tape when doing wiring?(sarcasm noted) i finished pulling up the carpet and was quite happy to find the floor boards hole free. well untill my 18 month daughter found/made one with my ratchet.

hammer
Xethur

Postby Xethur » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:19 pm

finanlly got more time to work on the monza. i took care of the rust on the floor boards on the passenger side and rattle canned it flat black. the small hole turned into a bunch of little holes. i don't have a welder yet so i really can't patch it yet. anyways i managed to get my camera to take small enough pictures.

hammer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xethur

Return to Project Journals