Project #2 77 Astre Safari wagon

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Project #2 77 Astre Safari wagon

Postby patrick1151 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 am

Boy oh boy you would think I would have learned from the purchase of my Sunbird not to buy cars that do not run. Last week I found a 77 Pontiac Astre wagon for $500.00 in quite good looking condition in on Craigslist under parts somewhere near Portland OR. I called the owner who said that it had been sitting for 2-3 years, had a fairly clean straight body and interior but barely ran. He said it likely had a tank of bad gas and sticking lifters and valves. He was going to convert it to a V8 car but had way too many cars and projects. Thinking it looked to good to be parted or scrapped and having decided that I wanted a wagon for second H-body, I thought it was worth a look.

I told my boss that I needed three days off with my buddy last week to go to OR and haul back a car. He managed to get the schedule changed to acomodate us. My buddy known here as monzaman77 is a fellow H body enthusiast who got me started on these cars again. I somehow managed to convice him that this car was worth the trip to OR and that I needed his help. Not really that hard. He never gets on this site though as he is too busy helping me with my projects.

So our trip got off to a horrible start. We decided to stop at Subway for lunch before heading south. Knowing that my buddy has a sweet tooth, I grabbed several cookies for a treat. OOOPS I forgot he was allergic to nuts and did not know the cookies contained nuts. Thank God it was only a minor reaction that he had but it delayed us at least 2 hours. Next stop the border. The usual questions about where are you going? Why all the tools, jacks and jackstands in the back of his Monza and such. Oops they didnt like the package of parts I had in the car that I was going to ship while in the USA. So a minor car search and 1 hour later, they decided we were harmless nuts and let us head on our way. And they allowed me to keep the package of car parts and not charge anything to import them.

So now 3+ hours behind schedule we roll into Portland around 11pm and looked for our hotel. Oh boy I picked a hotel in the rough part of town. I dont recommend the Value hotel in Portland guys. The only good part was the funky little bar close by where I was paying $1.50 a bottle of Miller. Maybe should have stopped after the third or fourth one. $30.00 for something we ate and a bunch of beers wow that was about the cheapest thing we did this whole trip.

So Thursday morning, we head out. We stopped for lunch about 30 minutes west of Portland and I realized that I had left a almost brand new set of tools at the hotel. So we turned around and went back again. Amazingly enough the tools were still there. They were turned into the office by the cleaning staff :o

Oops realized that I had never gotten directions to this guys place and call him for directions. Hmmmm after his directions, we should have quit and just headed for the coast for a couple of relaxing days off. Nice directions, exit the highway at exit 61, turn left then right and just look for the property with all the vehicles on it and the big orange fire truck.

So we finally arrive at his property and yep he has a whole bunch of vehicles on his property, everything from the fire truck to boats and 4x4 Scout for sale to just about everything in between. Oh yeah several shops and a huge selection of car parts. No H-body stuff though. :( We did score 2 very nice aluminum 4 barrel intakes, a nice Quadrajet carb and several Chev manuals from the 70's. ALl for $110.00.

Oh yeah the wagon, yep it was just as described but hey even better, its a Safari wagon. Rust only in two places on the body and it was just surface rust. More on this topic later. The interior needs carpets, the drivers seat is torn, the interior smells like a paint factory as they were storing paint in it at some point. And yep it dont run unless you keep cranking it and keep your foot on the gas pedal. When it does run, it keeps backfiring out the carb and making these weird popping noises. Hmmmm. So he says ok are you interested and holds out his hand for the money. Stupid me, I go yep its my car and hand $500.00. First piece of paper he has me sign says AS IS all over it. Oh boy, I should have asked for my money back right there and then.

So we call up the local NAPA and order a whole bunch of parts. I start working on the car and get nowhere. The seller asks how its going and I tell him and he comes out and starts helping out. Quickly we realize the distributor is hooped. The rotor has way way too much play in it. He works on it for a bit and we get some improvement. The car is a little closer to starting. Next we pulled the chrome valve cover gasket off the motor and find about half the rockers/lifters move around something like the distributor was doing. The area around the lifters is all clean with no sludge. Hmmm the engine did not look that bad. He adjusts all the lifters and says some if not all should be replaced.

Well the engine still did not start and run properly. He decided the Distributor was still having problems and as it was getting late, it would need to wait until the morning. He gave us directions to the nearest restaurant and we had some excellent Mexican food for dinner. And better yet as I was trying to find a local hotel for the night, he told us to just crash at his place for the night. Myself working night shift and used to staying up late and he informed me that he was always up at 530am. He said he would start on the distributor first thing in the morning.

Next morning Friday morning. The day we were supposed to start for home by the way of an easy trip to Tacoma to pick up parts and wheels that we had shipped to a friends place there and then home Saturday morning. Started cold and foggy at yep 530am. He informed me that he was going to be heading for breakfast and would be back soon.

Well he was back at 10 and ready to start work. The distributor was pulled out and the worn out pin replaced. The distributor went back in nice and easy and wow the car FINALLY started. Wooohooo. It actually ran not too badly, little loud though. Ooops no taillights or signal lights though. Well the signal light flasher was located and replaced. Why is it that GM/Chev has two flashers in their cars????? Every other car I've owned only had one.

Oops but thats just working front signal lights and no still no brake lights or rear signals. He said he would figure out what the problem there was, we could head into town for a trip permit, a thermostat and a gasket. I figured that those should be changed after sitting for so long. :oops: Ooopsie we kinda got lost in town and finally found our way back about 2 hours later. Did get the permit and the parts though.

Oh yeah they kinda warned me that the permit was only good in OR and as soon as I crossed the border, I could have the car towed. Considering we were supposed to be in Tacoma by the afternoon and it was now like 3 pm, this was not good. The only good thing was that I had bought insurance for the car in BC just in case before I left home. Otherwise OR would not have given me a permit.

When we finally got back, he had fixed the taillights and rear signals. Oh but the fuse kept blowing every few minutes and viola no more taillights or rear signal lights. A new 30 amp fuse later fixed that problem. Never blew again.

So after selling the car to me AS IS and spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 hours working on it, he asked me for $85.00 for his time. Pretty cheap labor rates considering he could have just walked away and said fix it myself.

Ok so I got the oil changed and after some more misadventures later, I got the antifreeze and thermostat changed.

After packing and everything, at 7pm we headed for the nearest gas station and more Mexican food. We hit the road for Tacoma at 8pm. I immediately started having tranny problems. It would shift up ok to second or third and then it seemed to think it had another gear and would shift again. But then the car would immediately start slowing down and if I applied gas, it would down shift again. The car seemed to be able to handle 60-65 miles an hour fine so we continued on our way.

Somewhere near the WA border, my buddy who was closely following me informed me that I had sparks coming out from underneath my car. As I had just tried pushing the car to 70 MPH, this was not a good sign. We pulled into a gas station and I checked things out. The rad overflow hose, which is too long, came into contact with the alternator fan which cut a hole in it. These chunks of hose flying out from under the car seemed to be the cause of the sparks.

Oh and while in the gas station, I discovered that I no longer had reverse in the tranny. :( Put the shifter in reverse and it does nothing. Great just what I need, another car needing a new tranny.

Well we finally made it to Tacoma about 12am and got a hotel room. Yes we never got stopped by WA police on the way to Tacoma. We went to Hooters next door to the hotel for a snack and beer. After two visits to the Tacoma Hooters, I strongly DO NOT recommend their food. Beer is standard but man oh man their food is well quite simply awful. I mean who ever made up their recipes should be run over :x CHEEZ whiz on Nachos and gross cheez whiz YUCK. Never again will we stop there for food.

Saturday morning started at 9am. We found a WA DMV and got the needed permit and then picked up the wheels and parts from our friends. I asked the front desk person where she recommended for breakfast, when she responded Hooters I just looked at her and said you have to be kidding right. She quickly directed us to a nearby IHOP.

So around Everret we decided that a gas stop was required. I was turning to do a U turn to head to the gas station we chose when the car died completely. I managed to get it to run long enough to make into the parking lot and out of the middle of the road but it would not run....... The low fuel light never came on but it was acting like it had no fuel :cry: So I headed to the gas station and bought a small gas can at a terrible price, filled it and went back to the car. Dumped the gas in it and nothing, would not start. So out come the tools. Oops I forgot to mention that this 151 has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine. No other pump that I can find. I bought the new pump that was on Ebay Friday as soon as I saw what kind of pump it had. So I started disconnecting gas lines and found no gas anywhere. Great did the pump pack it in?. So I sent my buddy back to the gas station with the can for more gas and changed the fuel filter. I discovered that the old filter was full of metal chunks and junk. Guess I need to drop the tank and clean it out.

So after adding more gas and dumping a bunch down the carb, we got it running. It now did not want idle very well. It was idling too high earlier, about 1000 rpm roughly and now seemed to be idling about 400-600. I tried to locate the idle screw on the Carb without luck but at least it was running.

So we gassed up and ran for the border. We made it into Blaine and to the storage place I had found around 5pm. We then headed for the border to find the line up around 5 cars. I keep hearing about these 2+ hour border line ups but with at least 8 border crossings recently, we have not had to wait more than 30 minutes. And even better yet, the lady at the booth looked at our receipts for the car parts and wheels that we were hauling back and just waved us through the border. I thought we would be paying taxes on some of it but nope. YES someone must like me somewhere.

So I finally got back to my buddies place around 6pm and made it to work for 7pm. Oops I was supposed to be at work at 630. Oh well.

Ok the car

The good

Origional car 151/TH350
Good compression in all 4 cylinders 120+
Straight body little rust. Surface rust around the passenger side taillight and on the front Facia. Underneath and the fenders look good.
Origional paint in decent shape.
Odometer showing 74000 miles, might be correct.

The bad

The interior.
The tires

The Terrible

Battery tray, what battery tray, there is some flimsy metal left where the battery tray used to be but I drove home over 500 miles with the battery held in by bailing wire.
Front suspension, going to need tie rods, ball joints and the whole nine yards.
The tranny or what gears there are :cry:

Overall, the car looks like it will be a nice car when finished but where's the money going to come from?????
Last edited by patrick1151 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby cdnvega » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:59 am

did you get it through the border ok. or do you have to wait the 72 hrs for the title to clear us customs.
1972 gt wagon
1972 vega h/b project
1977 astre h/b
1973 vega parts car
1975 astre wgn parts car
cdnvega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby patrick1151 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:21 am

Sorry cdnvega, still a work in progress on my first post. After having to restart twice because my internet explorer keeps crashing, I just keep working on it and then saving.

Nope the car is in Blaine in storage right now. Have to wait until tuesday to clear customs. And I need to get my Sunbird on the road first ARGGGHHH.
1979 Pontiac Sunbird 262/TH350
1977 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon 151/TH350
1979 Ponriac Sunbird 3.8/TH350
patrick1151

Postby cdnvega » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:57 pm

sounds like an adventure! You will get the sunbird on the road..............it only takes money lol.

John
1972 gt wagon
1972 vega h/b project
1977 astre h/b
1973 vega parts car
1975 astre wgn parts car
cdnvega

Postby patrick1151 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 am

YEAH!! US customs cleared the car for export today, I can bring it home when the bird is on the road.

I got 4 inner and outer tie rods and two balls joints from Dave tonight for $220.00, all new or NOS.

That with the two idler arms I got off of ebay should almost be enough to do the front ends on both cars.
patrick1151

Pictures now and in my garage

Postby patrick1151 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:19 am

Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patrick1151

Postby patrick1151 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 am

Finally got the car home this week, barely made it. Coming through Surrey to get to my place in Burnaby, the car died on me. I barely made it too Monzaman77's place in Surrey and parked it there while he was sleeping.
Had my mechanic come by the next day and we got it running again. The radiator was leaking and fried the alternator with Anti freeze. My mechanic quickly figured out the problem when the rad overflow outlet fell off in his hand. Luckily I had a spare radiator. Unfortunately a slightly different design with the overflow outlet on the passenger side where the cars battery is. Very tight fit but it worked.
Looks like I have a bad gas tank? As soon as the gas becomes less than half full it will not run. Thought I had purchased a gas tank for it but it looks like I have to find another one due to some internet fraud :evil:

Oh yeah, I currently have one of those very rare wooden battery trays in the car. I would have attached a picture but the picture wont download. I will try again the next nice day. The bad news is that all the sheet metal around the battery is gone, but the good news is that the frame rail is ok :D
patrick1151

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 am

Definitely a "Road Trip" story to be remembered! And by the way,if your Astre will only run when the tank is half full, it might be half full of water!
spencerforhire

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:02 am

patrick1151 wrote:The bad news is that all the sheet metal around the battery is gone,:D

Classic! lol
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby patrick1151 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:13 am

Well I will do an update on this poor car. I actually got drive it for a week and half or so but it is pieces currently. In one day, my starter went and then I blew the master cylinder and have not replaced it. I replaced the starter then but still have not replaced the master cylinder as I was dealing with other issues first.

The fuel pump on the car is bad and I cannot get the correct fuel pump in Canada for it. I was going to order a new pump on line but this weekend I aquired a mint condition gas tank with an in the tank sending unit /pump so I am going to make the switch and just block off the on the block pump.

Master cylinder, I have a new one, but I want to replace both wheel cylinders at the same time and have not purchased them yet.

Also I needed to replace the carb and managed to purchase a NOS one out of the US as I could not get one or a rebuild kit in Canada anymore. I have not installed it yet but it is on my list.

I will get back to working on this car soon hopefully if my Sunbird will stop breaking down on me. :D
patrick1151

Postby mldeolde » Fri May 02, 2008 9:57 am

dude,i'm envious at how much you have done so quickly. my projects seem to take for ever and driving all the way to Oregon just to get a car with paint to match your existing one. well that just speaks for itself. guess you like that faded yellow color to factory was putting out then. two the same color ,that's neat!!!!
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby patrick1151 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Pictures
patrick1151

Re: Project #2 77 Astre Safari wagon

Postby ShawnT72 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:02 am

Cool story. I just pulled a 77 Astre Hatch out of some woods here in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I did just like you. Got excited, handed the money over and went downhill from there. My tightly planned schedule and budget ran 12 hours and $450.00 over plan. My wife was pi**ed-off. :shock: The whole story involved a tractor, a tow-dolly, then a flatbed tow truck, a wal-mart and a family of mice. I am also proud to say that I too have the hi-performance wooden battery tray with the ghetto-riffic bungee tie-down.

I noticed you mentioned chrome valve cover. I'm new to H-bodies and was wondering if all 151's came with the chrome cover and formula air cleaner cover?
Holy Rusted Metal Batman!! How much did you pay for that Astre?
ShawnT72

1977 Pontiac Astre

Postby patrick1151 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:12 pm

The trip to get our cars is all part of the fun with these cars :D . That car looks very very clean compared to some we have seen. Your battery tray area actually looks way way better than mine. If I were you, I would cut the rotten metal out, paint a whats left around the battery tray with anti rust paint of some sort and then weld in a new battery tray. And weld the battery tray in like my welder did on a slight angle so the water will drain. My front rad supports and headlight area is so rusty that I eventually will have to do a full transplant from another wagon.

I see you have power steering in your car, that is a nice bonus, I have the arm strong steering.

As for the air cleaners yours is basically a Vega cleaner as they had the sealed unit type. If I understand correctly, you cannot open them to replace the filter, but throw the whole thing out and replace it. I have never had one of those in my hands so you can correct me if I am wrong. I have the other type that opens up. Those Vega type aircleaners are becoming almost impossible to find, sometimes they are on Ebay so you should grab a couple if you see any on there if that is the type you have.

As for the Chrome Valve cover, I have seen one 77 Astre without one, but I believe the majority of these cars came with them, mine has one. The Formula sticker, it seems like the Hatchback's mostly came with them, my wagon does not have one.

The 151 is a nice engine but one that is getting harder to find parts for. You will notice that it has the fuel pump on the block, in Canada I cannot get that fuel pump anymore. They are on ebay but be careful with those, watch the fuel inlet as on most of them, it points right at the block and there is not enough room for the fuel inlet hose. You can still get the correct pump off of advanceautoparts.com.

Your other option is what I did, aquire or make a block off plate for the fuel pump, then go with an inline pump or get an in the tank sending unit. I may have one that will work if you are interested. Also if the tank is no good, Peterpan had one available and he may have a sending unit. My fuel tank is rotten and its what is holding me up right now. I have a spare tank but it needs to be steam cleaned and then I will line it as well. The cost for that is $250 in Canada. It is supposed to be way cheaper in the US $150 range.

For the short term, I am keeping the 151 but I am thinking ahead. I am thinking about a 215 Buick as they say you can get 200-250hp and 20-25mpg out of that engine fairly easily. Otherwise I may have to go with a 231 or another more modern 4 cylinder.

But the bottom line is, you have a great looking car that will be a lot of fun to work on. You really should look around for a parts car, even a Vega. I have parted 2 Monza's now and will be parting a 3rd one soon. All cars that would have been crushed otherwise. I would never part a restoreable car, there are just too few of these around now.

My next project is going to be a 73 Astre hatchback that I have had my eye on for a while but just have not had the cash to get yet.

Good luck and have fun.
patrick1151

Postby ShawnT72 » Sun May 18, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks Patrick. I was originally gonna gut it and drag it but then I found this forum and I had a change of heart. These are neat little cars. I can't chop it up. This site has been the biggest help and influence. Thank you for the tips. I might get back to you on those parts. My wife is still pretty mad about another project and the whole money thing. :lol: Good Luck with your project. I'd like to see how it turns out. -Shawn
Holy Rusted Metal Batman!! How much did you pay for that Astre?
ShawnT72

1977 Pontiac Astre

Next

Return to Project Journals