My 78 Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

My 78 Monza

Postby bab78monza » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:50 am

Here is a link to a picture I posted in the album. I have owned this 78 2+2 (V-6, Auto Transplant) for 20 years but It has been sitting for the last 5 years :( just wasting away... (I'm Sorry!!) ... I parked it as to not pay insurance since I never drove it...24/7 wrecker driver. Anyway back in January my three boys wanted me to paint my Monte Carlo SS Dirt Track Car up like Lightning McQueen..So I was looking at a picture of someone else's dirt Monte Carlo that was painted like LM and also looking at my youngest son's 1/64th scale Lightning McQueen... And I thought...HMMM What kind of car is Lightning McQueen? Grab a Diecast and look at the simularities.. So I decided it was time to paint my Monza.. I am going to use it to advertise my towing business www.bellstowingandrecovery.com by hauling it through parades and taking it to non professional car shows. I did the paint job myself outside. This is only the 2nd car I've ever painted, the other was my dirt track car. It looks real good compaired to the primer it has been for 10 years...although I really needed to work the front nose alot more...But it was gonna rain so I had to get some paint on it. Then I added the Graphics and Wheels and Tires, and Spoiler.

Here is link to the album. http://forums.h-body.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=297
bab78monza

Postby greg72 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 pm

That looks cool!

I better not show my son , he will be asking that i paint my Mirage like that. :lol:
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 pm

i'll post your picture here so its easier to see

and that is just cool wheres mater
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:14 pm

That would be kinda cool to have a truck done up like Mater to pull the Monza with.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bab78monza » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I have 3 "Tow Maters" but they are all "Rich" Relatives of the one in the movie... Check them out www.bellstowingandrecovery.com is my Towing service web-site. If you look at the racing page you will see my dirt track Monte Carlo... I have though about painting it up like Leak-Less... and I have been keeping an eye out for a old tow truck also...My wife keeps checking me for FEVER...LOL I think it will pay off in advertisement for the Towing Business and I could use it for recoveries that are too far off the road... Cause my trucks don't go down pig trails.. Thanks for the complements... Brian Bell
bab78monza

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:32 pm

that is soooo cool, my daughters love it!
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 pm

We (at work) have a truck similar to your truck #4 but it's older, not sure the year with a 7.3 non turbo/5 speed that has a hard time getting out of it's own way. Also have an International wrecker with a turbo 466, that hauls ass and a small Chevy wrecker and rollback, both SBC. What size bed was on the 93 (truck #1)? And how do you like the Duramax compaired to the 466?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bab78monza » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 am

spyder_xlch wrote: What size bed was on the 93 (truck #1)? And how do you like the Duramax compaired to the 466?

Hey spyder_xlch I'm sorry I was just looking through here and I thought I had answered your questions right after you asked them but the bed on Trk#1 is a 28ft Chevron... I will always Love the Dt466 (900,000+ miles on Trk#1) but the Allison Auto behind the Duramax sure is easy to drive.

Speaking of driving I have been making a few short outings in my Monza, I did drive it all the way across town to get a state inspection sticker and then over to the vinyl shop the other day. :D I really need to go through the front suspension if I'm gonna drive it very much. I love driving this car... While I was at the Chevy dealer the other day getting the oil changed in my Duramax the salesman cought me looking at a new Red Vette and told me "We can hook you up" I told him "NO THANKS I HAVE SOMETHING THAT TURNS MORE HEADS THEN THIS" Then showed him a picture...LOL

Everytime I stop someone wants to take a picture with "Lightning MonQueen" :lol:
bab78monza

Re: My 78 Monza

Postby bab78monza » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 am

just looking around here on the board after being awol for awhile and found this old post of mine. I did add a TowMater to my Collection a few years ago.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 90edb224a7

And I just recently added this 1977 V8 Monza Spyder

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 607d64b730
bab78monza

Return to Project Journals