Wife's 77 Spyder Project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Wife's 77 Spyder Project

Postby spyderman1977 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Well I finally got around to the point where I could push a car into the car port the other day. Just happens to be the wife's 77 Spyder that we bought close to 9 years ago. I plan on taking my time and doing it right from the start. I will start in the engine bay and work my way from there to the front bumper then back.

The wife wants it solid black with black interior. The only other thing that is a must for her is that I hand a pair of white NOS bottles on the down bars in the back for the roll cage. She saw a friend of mine's 72 Skylark that had his bottles liked how you could see them through the back glass of his car. She wants me to make sure that I have that similar setup on her car when I am done. Beyond that she doesn't really care to much just as long as the other 3 things are done.

I am not 100% certain on the motor but I can wait till the rest of the car is done before I have to worry too much about that part of the process. I am making sure that I get this car looking sharp as I plan on trying to start up a small paint/body shop here at the house. Considering the quality of work around here it would not take much to get something going.

At any rate I needed to start working on something and since we have had the 77 Spyder the longest. I figure it would be wise to finish the wife's car off first.

Here are some pics of the car in its current state now. I hope to add more as work gets done on the car. I also don't plan to set any record pace but hope to work on things here and there as time allows and hopefully get the car done before the summer shows next year. That way I don't rush through and makes things worse or look shody in the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spyderman1977

1976 Buick Skyhawk Free Spirit

Re: Wife's 77 Spyder Project

Postby spyderman1977 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 pm

More pics:

Once I get to the interior part I will post pics of that progress as it comes along.

For now though I will start up in the engine bay. I am not sure if I am going to try to smooth out everything or clean everything and paint. I like the look of a car where the engine compartment is nice and smooth. Who knows but I hope to get started on cleaning/stripping paint this week sometime.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spyderman1977

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 pm

:arrow: Paul; and wife,,,,you at least have a head start,,,with the Motor out,,
cut n weld the engine Compartment, passenger side,,,,, back "upper" "control arm" bulge inside the fender for the Header mod's.,,,
and re stich weld the original inner fender panel's,,,on both side's in the engine compartment,,,

Then rough up the loose paint,Prime and Paint to suit your color and your half way done,,

,,,,I will be over after tomorrow,,,,Make some Ice Tea,,,LOL Just kiddin ,,,I like the picture's ,,,
:arrow: We live about 260 miles apart,,4 hour drive,,,,, But Close,,,Texas h-body neighbors,,, 8) 8) Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyderman1977 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Well I finally made it outside to do a little work on the Spyder today. Most of what I accomplished was not on the Spyder but to the sand blasting cabinet I have had for a while now. Up until now I never got around to using it for anything. Its a small start on the overall project but I am happy with how the frame plates turned out. I will probably go ahead and take the K-member plates out and blast them as well as the front suspension too.

Its not what I had planned to get done today but over all its a start. My new goal is to start removing paint on the engine compartment by this coming weekend. I hope to be able to start sand blasting the compartment if at all possible. Although I may wait to see about picking up the Soda Blasting system from Eastwood I saw this morning on Powerblock. Either way there is enough stuff to keep me busy till then. Guess its a good thing we don't need the Spyder anytime real soon.

Here are a few pics showing the plates before and after I was finished. I am not going to paint the parts just yet. I have not decided if I want to go with a gloss black that will match the exterior or go with a satin/flat black just the engine compartment. May have to let the wife make that decision since it is her car lol

Paul
spyderman1977

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm

That was time well spent getting your sandblaster working. It is really the key to getting everything looking like new in my opinion. I sandblasted pretty much everything I could unbolt from under the car. It took me 3 years, 1 to do the front suspension, another to do the center of the car (torque arm, trans mount, driveshaft, etc.) and then the third winter I did the back part of the car. You are doing it right by priming and then painting. My choice for color was satin black. To me it just looks "correct" for undercarriage parts. Of course other parts (steering linkage, springs, spindles, drivehsaft) were painted cast gray for some contrast. Gloss black would not be my choice, but to each thier own......... Look forward to seeing more pics as you progress.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyderman1977 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:40 am

I am leaning towards the satin black for the engine compartment. I am not going to go too crazy with the chrome on the motor and in fact may not use any chrome at all. I have been tossing around the idea of going with as cast aluminum or black on most everything for the motor. I may use the chrome caps or maybe even the nickel plated bolts for dress up but the intake and heads I will probably not go with the polished parts.

I am really taking a close look at the Soda Blast setup that was on Musclecar this morning. Its available through Eastwood and you don't have half the concerns of using sand. Its also user friendly around chrome and glass as it will not affect either surface. Also depending on which soda you end up using it will also help prevent flash rust from forming on sheetmetal. You can also use the same setup to clean engines with too.

When I blasted the plates I primed the surface with the etching primer then back with the gray high build primer. Once I get the header panel and fenders removed I plan on removing the k-member plates to sand blast them. From there I will work on the suspension.

I wish I could have got more done today but atleast it was a start.

Paul
spyderman1977

Return to Project Journals