Grenade 74 Vega Hatchback

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Grenade 74 Vega Hatchback

Postby grenade » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I figured ide start a little thread to keep track

1. Pick car up from LA

2. Get car home in the drive way.

3. Clean 19 years of junk off.

4. I am currently in the middle of replacing every rubber line. I've gotten the ignition converted over to an electronic one. Many of the gaskets have also been replaced. New moroso tires were mounted up front. A demon carb was thrown in place of the holley, just for start up and drive ability for now. The brakes have been bled, and the oil had been changed. Along with the oil fliters, and steelbraided lines. A new water pump is also on it's way in tonight. The radiator and cooling system has been flushed and cleaned. New lines for the gauges are going in tonight hopefully. A new fuel pump and filters have been installed, along with a fuel line from the main body rail. An optima will be mounted in the rear of the car, in the spare tire compartment. Hopefully in the next week or two, I can start it. I am working for Edelbrock at the NHRA event again this year, so my weekend is a gonner.

Thanks for reading.

Grenade
grenade

Re: Grenade 74 Vega Hatchback

Postby DEMON Precision » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 am

that car sat like that for 19yrs ?? what happened for it too sit that long . how did you find the car and what did you pay for that rare find ??
DEMON Precision

Postby grenade » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:43 pm

DEMON Precision wrote:that car sat like that for 19yrs ?? what happened for it too sit that long . how did you find the car and what did you pay for that rare find ??

Yes, the car sat for 19 plus years untouched. The owner was using it for daily driving, and wanted something else. He put the car on jackstands, and didnt touch it till a few weeks ago. It was stored in his Mothers back yard. She's around 90 years Old i beleive.

A friend of mine, helped the owner build it in the 80's, and he knew my love for vega/pinto/mustangII. He told me about it, and that's the rest of it...

No prices will be revealed. Im sure people would get mad.
grenade

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:20 pm

grenade wrote:

Nobody here would get mad unless they tried to buy it and offered more than you paid. BadSunbird bought 2 cars for $15.50 each.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby DEMON Precision » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 am

thruthfully what,s to get mad about you found the car and made the deal you didn,t snip it from anyone on here who was bidding on it or trying to make a deal .

again thanx for posting the pics and sharing the story , you got some vega history there IMO
DEMON Precision

Postby grenade » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:14 am

spyder_xlch wrote:
grenade wrote:

Nobody here would get mad unless they tried to buy it and offered more than you paid. BadSunbird bought 2 cars for $15.50 each.

I paid less than that.
grenade

Postby grenade » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:15 am

DEMON Precision wrote:thruthfully what,s to get mad about you found the car and made the deal you didn,t snip it from anyone on here who was bidding on it or trying to make a deal .

again thanx for posting the pics and sharing the story , you got some vega history there IMO

Yea man, im stoked on it, I cant wait to get some time away from school and work.
grenade

Postby v8astregt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 am

Well you got one hell of a deal then! Lucky you. I got mine for $70, but then again it was still all stock and out of a boneyard. You're lucky, all the hard stuff is done on your car!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby greg72 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 am

grenade wrote:
spyder_xlch wrote:
grenade wrote:

I paid less than that.

YOU SUCK!

LOL just kidding! :roll:

that is a heck of a deal for a roller , nevermind that car you nabbed. SWEET!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby grenade » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 pm

v8astregt wrote:Well you got one hell of a deal then! Lucky you. I got mine for $70, but then again it was still all stock and out of a boneyard. You're lucky, all the hard stuff is done on your car!

Yeah man, i love your car. Its defiantly an inspiration for me.
grenade

Postby Badsunbird » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:44 am

Okay Fellas,

Just for clarification here, I paid $15.50 for the 79 Monza hatchback (The Joker) that I purchased off of ebay, and then got screwed on the title. I then filed a complaint with ebay (item not as described) and received my money back, so actually that car was FREE !!!
The 75 Astre GT was a little more than that though, I ended up giving just a little over $200.00 for it, and look what it turned out to be ! #00002, Sweet Deal as well !!! Still can't go wrong with that one either !

CONGRATULATIONS on the Great find Grenade, hope you enjoy it to the fullest !!! The car looks fantastic, be sure to post more pictures as you update it though, We Just Love Pictures !!! :D
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby grenade » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:34 am

Just a verbal update for right now.

The car's running. Sounds like the motor's strong. Rev's super fast. The car currently has 4 mufflers, so its kind of quiet. Thoes will be comming off before it hits the streets.

The bad new's is the rear brake's are leaking. Most likley wheel cylinders. I will be trying to hunt down the parts at work tomorrow. Anyone know what year car/truck came with a Dana 44 that would bolt into the vega? That would help a million.

The trans seems perfect, and the fluid still smells great, and looks clean. So far so good.
grenade

Postby grenade » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Just found out today, that the rear end is actually a DANA 60. Wow. The car move'd on it's own last night, for a short stint up and down the street. Sounds like a beast, and it looks like its going to be fun. I've got to get some more small things wrapped up before its road worthy.

Take care.
grenade

Postby Badsunbird » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Dana 60, Mopar? WOW ! That's what my 66 SS Nova Had ! Bullet Proof !!!
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 am

I was about to reply with the Dana44 reference. Mail jeeps had them and they were popular for a swap for a while. I guess there is no need. Interesting. Somebody must have had a shortened D60 laying about.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Next

Return to Project Journals