1974 Astre

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1974 Astre

Postby Topgun » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Well, after years of 2nd gen camaros and one supergas 72 vega here is my attempt at a small tire vega.
The car is undergoing weight loss in items such as the crash bars in the doors ( not a fun job) , gutting of bumpers and brackets and fabrication of lighter ones, swaybar gone heater, fan motor and associated parts. Wipers and horn to remain. Some fiberglass also in its future.
This is a little bit of the back end mods:
The rearend brackets gusseted with the lower mount dropped far enough to pull the lower adjustable arm bolt out past the wheel cylinders and help control wheel hop. Top brackets will be raised and gussested also, now that my adjustable upper arms are here.

I also relocated the lower control arm mount further forward and down by inserting box steel in the factory box and also plating the outside of that also for more support with a small gusset ahead of that also

I've also got the parts to convert to S10 front spindles and brake to help that front end out for street and racing purposes.
I've clearanced the inside rear tubs ( by taking the bracing out and welding in flush supports) to make room for a 26 x 8 tire or 27 by 8 with a 3.5 backset rim to go with my 52 1/4 inch outside of drum to outside of drum 9 inch.
Long ways to go ........
Topgun

Re: 1974 Astre

Postby waybad » Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

are those lower control arms made with the standard swedge tube?
if so are they strong enough? looks like it's going to be killer :dance:
keep the picts coming!!
TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby Topgun » Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 pm

As far as strength, I'm sure its not an issue, the bars are used primarily on farm tractors I believe on their three point hitches, seamless tubing and forged ends, just remember what the stockers look like.........these make those look stupid...LOL. But ,as far as I'm concerned it is major overkill for a bar that is primarily used on the push side. Besides that the price on them is only 27 bucks a piece, heavier then I like but I can live with them for the price of them.
Topgun

Postby Topgun » Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Got my adjustable uppers so I got to work and raised the upper control arms mounts on the rearend up 2.5 inches. I used a piece of 2 by 2 , placed in the stock mounts and welded it in. I also gusseted the front of it and also gusseted the bottom back of the mount. It is a real pain to square the diff in accordance to the front end with the lower bars yet center the diff in the car with the uppers . And once engine is in start all over to get pinion angle.

I also decided to weld washers onto the upper mounts on the car. I added two 1/8 inch washers on the outter side and added one to the inner side pulss gusseted and welded right around the mount.
Topgun

Postby waybad » Sat May 16, 2009 10:06 am

looks great,, it will be fun trying to hook a small tire,, keep the pictures coming!! TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby waybad » Sat May 16, 2009 10:13 am

I just noticed that you moved your lower mounts,, if you run any class racing(stock suspension stuff)
I'm not sure you will be legal anymore? but it looks like it will hook better..TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby Topgun » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:46 am

Few more pics:
The firewall welded in and smoothed out:

The fuel cell cut in and the battery box fabbed and welded in:
The stock cover fits over top of everything
A good look at everything from behind
New bumper brackets
Topgun

Postby v8astregt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 am

Topgun wrote:Image

Good job on preparing for this. It's definitely a weak point in the H-body suspension. Ask me how I know. :lol:
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Return to Project Journals