An old friend - Turbo Build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

An old friend - Turbo Build

Postby HAULIN' IT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Guys, I decided to start a project jornal to keep you guys up to date on my build. You can get a little backround on my original post:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22795
Here's a picture (of an original photo) from the wedding day

The big picture is as stated before...I'm going to paint it Silver & want to have it done for our 25th year celebration & if things go right, we'll take it to Virginia beach next time.
A couple months ago I got the car ('73 GT) out of the corner of the garage where it had been sitting for the last 22 years!
It was far from perfect 20 years ago...Think 19 year old kid with little supervision. It's alot neglected looking, but a pretty good piece all in all...The engine compartment is not near as rusty as it looks in some of the pic's (just some surface rust from sandblasting 20+ years ago & sorta covered with spray can paint) This is how it looked when I drug it out the other day

Due to limited hobby time, this will not something that will be done any day soon. I'll update from time to time as things progress.
The plans at this point in time are as follows. With some help from some great guys on the Turboforums, I've gathered some parts & have a plan: 355 ci with a Bullseye s480 turbo that I'm building the headers, pipes, ect. in the Vega, then transplanting the whole engine assembly into our current street/race toy (a '85 Full size GM truck) for testing. After some inital sorting out I'll then have an idea on what safety equipment (cage, ect.) I'll need to put in the Vega during the restoration. Here's where were at as of now...
I built the blow through carb over the last couple of months...an hour here & there
I ordered some header parts (tubing, flanges, collectors, ect.) the other day, that's next on the to-do list!
HAULIN' IT

Re: An old friend - Turbo Build

Postby waybad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

I also posted some????s on turbo forums about a BW s400 for my ls1 vega... I would like to put one on my car but the 5'' exhaust was too much to slide down the pass side.. I still haven't gave up on maybe tt gn turbos? just need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :bang:
keep posting looks like a great build! TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby HAULIN' IT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Waybad, Thank you, I'll try to keep up with the posts/pic's as things progress. The s400 really doesn't fit very well in our cars with a V8...the thing is HUGE, a 4.3 would work out well I'd think.
The placement where I have it is the only place I could find that it fit...the drop of the hood is a killer! The only other place that it would work, was across the front, but everything else (water pump, fan, rad. ect.) seemed to be worse.
You are correct on the 5" downpipe, it just couldn't happen on a stock uni-body car. Many guys have made WAY more power than I'm interested in dealing with using a 4" pipe. It fits fairly well with where the engine is sitting (stock Monza mounts), a couple 45*'s to get it up & out toward the inner fender & another 45* dropping down the firewall should work (it will need a V-band back there somewhere to make the upper part removable to get to the sparkplugs). I would have liked to move the engine back an inch or so, but the corner of the block/starter pinch the "hole" for the downpipe if it's moved back any. The stock hood fits & opens where I've got it placed at this point so most likely that is where it will stay.
I'm thinking your on a good track with twins...a couple little ones would be easier to package, not to mention the 2 1/2"-3" pipes also, a couple Masterpower 62's or so shouldn't break the bank too bad :wink: Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby monza75tc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Lorne,

Here is a set of twins for you, Saw it in KC a couple of years ago, it was real nice i think a 383 with the twins.

Dick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby waybad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 pm

that thing is sweet! I had just talked myself out of twins today,, :shock: well I though I did :bang:
Tinker
waybad

Postby rfoster458 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Very awesome! Best of luck, I'll be following your progress.
1972 Vega Wagon,
350, TH-350
12-bolt Tru-locker 4.10 gears.
Working on it...
rfoster458

Postby HAULIN' IT » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, I got the headers layed out & mostly put together...Just waiting on a couple 45* bends, then I'll trim the end of the tubes off & install the collectors with the V-bands. Planning & laying out the rest of the hotside to follow. Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby waybad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:52 pm

very nice! you make this look easy! :th: keep posting 8)
Tinker
waybad

Postby HAULIN' IT » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 am

Well after "not much gettin' done"...I've finally got the headers finished. I just noticed the date is off on the last pictures I took (must of changed batteries or something).
The physical size of the S-series turbo, along with the smaller than average engine compartment is going to make packaging all of this quite interesting. I sure hope I can get enough radiator, fan, ect. to make the thing nice & drivable. If I was to start fresh, I would most likely do Two small turbos mounted behind the headlamp area. It would free up some room for cooling & alternator, ect. Time will tell. Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby megavega » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am

I am into this project......... :dance:

still not too late if you want to use a pair of t3/t4 turbos.

keep at it,it will come together :th:
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby waybad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 pm

I love it!! :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I was all excited, saw you were in PA, but alas, not meant to be, Im on the far other side of the state near Allentown!! I just got an 80 Sunbird with turbo 4.3 (S400 75mm), would be cool to see your project. Looks good!
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby monzajer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Rowdy, did you buy that car from one of our members? Can't remember his name, but remember he put a lot of work into it. I know one of you guys know who I am talking about. Looks like the same car, anyway.

Have fun with it, and be good to it.

cheers jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Rowdy Mclaughlin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

monzajer wrote:Rowdy, did you buy that car from one of our members? Can't remember his name, but remember he put a lot of work into it. I know one of you guys know who I am talking about. Looks like the same car, anyway.

Have fun with it, and be good to it.

cheers jer :mrgreen:

Yes I did! I followed his build on theturboforums.com and drolled over it then. I completely stumbled upon it looking for a Vega or Monza roller for another engine, for the price I couldnt pass it up. He put alot of work into it and it shows, its really nice and it ran 131mph in the 1/4 mile first time I had it out. On every pass as Im flying down the back half Im thinking "I hope this 7.5 rear doesnt let go" or "I wish this was a 10 pt cage instead of 6 in case that rear lets go" It'll probably go 135mph this weekend once I get the 2 step installed if I have the nerve to try it out again with the 7.5 rear. Lots of power for a little engine! Thanks!
Rowdy Mclaughlin

Postby rocketride » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 pm

He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Next

Return to Project Journals