73 Notchback Back - Half

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 pm

This is what I'm trying to get done by spring so I can start drivin it , the wheal wells at the pinch weld to inner quarters have rust I'm fixing now other than that it's nearly rust free and exactly like my GMC I turned into a 4 door pickup . I want to keep the barn doors and will remove the handle and fab up some kind of popper to open it with , there is a metal rod that went up to the top stricker in right hand door that may be where I put the popper , it will be like a button that pushes in , not electical . The bed will be 5' long at floor and the bulkhead will be removable like an Avalanche and with the back seat folded down I can load 8' lumber with back doors closed . The only piece I need to find is where the back window rolls up into the upper window surround on the tail gate models so I can make the back window slide out to open bulkhead , my GMC was a tail gate model so it had that piece the barn doors don't have it because the windows are in the doors .
I had my supper here in Bossleman Truck Stop , Grand Island , Ne. you can set under the 67 at a booth just watch your head when you stand up .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Re: 73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby gmagilla » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Haven't been here in a while , busy with work and this project ( suburban into 4 door pickup ), not done but I wanted to drive it a little , like normal I ain't to good at gettin it smooth so next vacation I plan to take it to a body man to smooth her up and paint , that paint on it where I cut and welded is rattle can .Guy I bought it from put a lot of new parts on it , motor has a vibration afer a few rpm's and tranny shifts ( had to edit previous word wife got to laughing so hard cause I didn't put the f in shifts ) HARD from 1st to 2nd . I may drop a crate engine and new tranny in it .
The hard part grafting the top back together ( lots of pie cuts on those top corners ) and making that body seam look factory where the side window use to be , at the back cargo door frame which I move forward it was about 3" lower than at the rear side door so I had to but a sharp radius for the two pieces that make that upper side panel meet the roof , this all turned out pretty smooth . I had to make the bed rails set on top of the quarters and that's where I got some heat warps not from welding as I took a couple weekends and worked slow side to side spot welding , but grinding :oops: pissed me off and I thought I was takin my time with the grinding but that long panel wouldn't take much heat .I was really worried about gettin the back doors to look right and they turned out ok . I made a manual popper on the top above the door handle so I can git rid of the handle .

1990 Avaburb.jpg

1990 Chevy Avaburb 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Previous

Return to Project Journals