73 Notchback Back - Half

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby megavega » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:50 pm

looks good, now all ya need to do is fab up a crossmember for the frame.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby gmagilla » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks Don , I got some 1" & 3/4" tubing when I bought my cage material to do a crossmember . Gotta redo the other side headers at the flange to tuck them up close like this side the next time I get some time off , which seems to be often here lately but now my grass is growin again with all this rain so there goes my time back to mowin .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:35 am

Finely got some time to try and redo the pass. side headers to get the tubes closer to the block like drivers side . I got #8 & #6 today , will get #2 & #4 tomorrow . Maybe those Stahl headers are worth $1200 :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

They are done except for the finnish welding after I pull them out . Gettin that starter out is going to be interesting . With the four banger springs still in the car the right side is 3 1/2" off the floor .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 pm

more pics of headers , now to fab up a cross member
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Pulled the motor out to get a better look at the headers and change #1 tube around steering shaft , don't need so many bends , made it straighter . Put a few more spot welds where I couldn't get to in the car to hold them till they are welded . When I lifted the motor a little the drivers side slipped out the bottom and the pass. side came out the top as the motor was being lifted and I turned the wheels to one side to move the center link forward to make more room getting them out .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 pm

more pics
gmagilla

Postby sportriderok » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I admire your skills, and your tenacity. I probably would have thrown the towel in a long time ago!
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby gmagilla » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm

sportriderok wrote:I admire your skills, and your tenacity. I probably would have thrown the towel in a long time ago!

Thanks , I was gona get these headers in the frame some way some how no matter what . They will only come out by pulling the motor but how many times does a person take their headers out unless they are going to pull the motor anyway , I have thought about making the collectors slip on and cutting the flanges so they could be takin apart like the Hookers , coated inside and out I don't think they would leak as my Hookers on the old 71 didn't leak with Jet Hot inside and out . I think the drivers side would come out if the car was on a lift or tall ramps with motor still bolted in .
There's a company out there that sends you tubing and joints to mock up headers in your car and then you send them back to them and they make you a set but they are about the same cost as the Stahls .
gmagilla

Postby Kenova » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Maybe these?

http://www.clampco.com/products/flanges-no-gasket.asp

They are available from a number of sources.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby gmagilla » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 pm

I got some time today ( work has slowed down , first time in 5 years it's been this slow ) so I fabbed up a cross member , seeing I have a cage and a motor plate , street strip car no moto crossing ,I feel I only need 1 tube so I won't be making any tubes going forward to radiator core support .
I cut the ends off the original cross member where it bolted to lower A arm towers then bent the 1" tubing , wired it up to see where to make notches for tube to set down in the ends so I would have a little more surface to weld to , I shaped the tube to match the old cross member ends . I used back and forth U shaped motions with the welder to fill in any gaps on the sides of the tubing where it laid on the flat areas of the end pieces . Here are some pics .
Last edited by gmagilla on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 pm

more pics
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 am

I got soom pieces to the puzzel now to get a chance to work on it . Suburban hood for making my cowl induction hood , Team G intake without the nitrus bosses it's ported to Felpro 1206 gasket and I would like to try to make a turtle for it , Procomp 1" 4 hole tapered spacer they say it will work a wider RPM range , my old AFB Competition Series that I have a couple dual line tops for and I will machine the choke horn off one of them and smooth the boosters and all casting lines . I stuck one of White Performance distributors in the hole to see if a big cap would fit ( can get my fingers between it and the firewall ) I will run a Mallory . So heres some pics for now maybe some progress if it ever warms up .
Last edited by gmagilla on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 am

more pics
100_5489.jpg
100_5493.jpg
100_5506.jpg
100_5515.jpg
100_5518.jpg
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 am

Started on the hood , going to make it like I did on the old 71 only going to try to make it a functional cowl induction . Now that I got the hole cut in the hood I'll try to figure out what breather I need then get the ring and seal . Thats an old Chevrolet high performance breather on there now and it sets to low , the hard part will be making the air box on the bottom side , looks like it may have a step or two in it to lay flat on the seal or I could cut the breather at an angle to match the bottom of the hood , I'll try my Suburban breather to see what it looks like , I know it sets higher than the low profile in there now and I think the 69 Camaro and 70 Chevelle breathers are low profile also .
I cut the center bracing out and used it to make pieces to box in the sides , I needed two pieces about 11" long and could only find one that long that didn't have a bend or curve so the right side needed two smaller pieces to finish it . Needed one little edge piece at the rear drivers side to make it look right . I gotta figure out where I got those rounded end caps I used to finish the bracing by the hood hinges .
It's light now .

First two pics are of the old 71 hood .
gmagilla

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals