73 Notchback Back - Half

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 73 Notchback Back - Half

Postby gmagilla » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

HAULIN' IT wrote:That is a 14" lid & filter. The base is about 17 1/2"-18" if I remember right...Yes, it's real big, that's why I picked it...just seemed to fit the "factory" look like the original cowl hood units.

I called about the flange for a cowl breather and they told me the 70 Chevelle breather base was 16" dia my base is 15" dia. I was going to get the flange so I would have a perfect circle on the bottom of the opening in the hood , so I will be making my own . That setup looks good and your seal looks wider , mine's just a universal push on seal .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Well I got a little done on the hood today , I think this is going to turn out like I got it pictured in my head , as long as oldtimers don't kick in and I loose the picture :? :lol:
I had bought an air cleaner like the one in the other post pics off e-bay , that ones off my Suburban , the guy took my money never shipped the air cleaner so I been a month trying to get my money back , pay-pal finaly refunded my money , so I bought another one but got a cowl induction one and it is going to be easier than the other one so I guess it worked out for the better .
I measured every 2" and conected the dots to get my circle on the big piece I cut out of the hood a while back , there will be a flange on the bottom to make a perfect circle and the flange will close on the seal . That rubber seal is pliable enough that it seals the bulge in the hood now but it don't look right so I need the flange for a flat seal surface and it will give it a little factory look .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:20 pm

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm

The air horn will be cut off and close the hole .
gmagilla

Postby VegaGT » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Looking very cool, nice job!
Chris
Looking for a good one...
VegaGT

Postby gmagilla » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 am

Just got the hood flange ( it's just another breather flange ) so I laid it on the breather and closed the hood to see what it would look like , fab a couple pieces to close up the bulge in the hood front and back and I think this is going to turn out nice . A couple pieces of wood under the filter sets it at 5" so the carb will get plenty of air with a 5" filter sticking through the hole . I took the rubber seal off the breather flange and can't get it back on :oops: how the &*#$%^ can a simple piece off rubber be so contrary , an hour and it still ain't on :bang: ?? I remember seeing a video somewhere on puting the seal on if I can find it . Now to get the time to get this hood made .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Got the flange done on the hood today , next to try and make the cowl induction scoop . I know you can buy them made of steel but they are 24" wide and I only want about 20" or 21" . Here are some pics.
I put blocks of wood between both flanges so the space would stay the same , then measured the tallest point and cut a piece of 18ga. out the size needed to fill tallest point , set the piece of metal on flange and drew a line around it to the contour of the hood then cut it out on the line slid it between the hood and flange pushing it all the way to the lip on the flange and tacked it to the flange then trimmed hood to match the metal and ended up with a perfect circle then tack the top of the metal to the hood . I did one half at a time . The rubber seal is a pian in the a$$ , I found the video on how to get it on the flange and it still took about 30 min. of it sliping off and then sure enough it tore :bang: :bang: and then I ended up having to put duct tape all the way around it to get it to stay on the flange , I get eveything done I'll order a seal and flange and tell them to put it on .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:56 pm

More pics .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 am

The filter is 4" tall with some blocks under it so a 5" filter will be plenty tall to get air to the carb .
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 am

I got the cowl roughed in today just needs a little shaping then to take it off and finish the top of the hood around the breather prime and then put cowl back on . This hood is from a Suburban , first I scribed a line to cut and another line to bend . It will be 3" tall and 21 3/4" wide in front and 22 3/4" wide in rear to kinda match hood as the hood is 50 3/4" in front and 51 1/4" at rear . I cut the rear of the hood to leave a lip at rear of cowl then took a file to deburr it . Trimmed front to match the Vega hood . Notched the lip so I could bend the side down . Then laid the cowl on the hood to get an idea of how to get it too match the contour of the hood . The hood starts to drop down 13" from the front so I cut a wedge out of the side and slots in the sides to get the bend started , needed to grind the sides to match the contour of the hood . Cut the sides that over hang the cowl vents . I want to roll the bottom a little so it's not a 90* angle from the hood .
Last edited by gmagilla on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 am

more pics
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 am

more pics
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 am

more pics
Last edited by gmagilla on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmagilla

Postby gmagilla » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 am

Here are some pics that should of been in first post on biulding cowl hood . Scribe mark is where I bent it 21 3/4" front and 22 1/4" at rear . Those round bracing pieces under the Burb hood will be used to cap off bracing cut out of Vega hood like I did on old Vega in 4th pic . If I remember right the cowl hood on old Vega was 1 3/4" high at windshield maybe 2".
gmagilla

Postby megavega » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 pm

looks good Gil, your headers came out nice too! did the hood get pretty flimsy with the bracing removed?, just wondering never cut that out before.
Reason I ask is I took the lazy mans route and bought one of those steel cowl induction scoops :oops: . I was thinkin about using that new metal bond glue they have out instead of welding it on. Maybe cutting out the center and then slippin the scoop into the slot with the glue between the scoop flange and the bottom of the hood.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals