Will this Spyder survive?

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Will this Spyder survive?

Postby Kev442 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I saved this Spyder from a long line of people passing it around. It has a subframe and has been raced. It is supposedly from Tx in the past, which explains the poor repaint peeling off in chunks. I brought it home several years ago, my how time flies! Anyway, I have been slowly organizing the mess and it was time to work in this corner. Here's a picture after replacing 3 flatties and rolling it forward a bit to move things around:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

Re: Will this Spyder survive?

Postby Kev442 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:40 pm

I uncovered it and gave it a bath, it's first in about 8 years judging from the dirt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Kev442 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:42 pm

I've been gathering parts for a lonnnng time. That's all for now, it's getting to cold for much to happen over the next 5 months!
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Andreasu » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Seems like alot of work, but who cares about that? :th:

Looks like a good starting point for a nice Spyder build :mrgreen:
Andreas Unes.
1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder (305, 5.0l) (http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26801)
Andreasu

Postby mastiff » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm

great start. You might want to check rummade sales. I picked up a 100,000 BTU furnace for 40 bucks. a little old but in good shape. made in 1990. it will help with the cold winters.
mastiff

Postby Chevy_Punk » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Nice starter Spyder. Lovin the gold
Chevy_Punk

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 am

mastiff wrote:100,000 BTU furnace

LOL! No shit. Here's a pic of me and my buddies working on a -17ºf day. YIKES! Went out and got a heater right away after that.

Dude. THat's a really good start for a project. All the best.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kev442 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 pm

My days of working in cold weather have come to an end, especially in uninsulated garages. The harm I did my right hand makes it go numb below 45. However, I remained somewhat motivated, to take pictures anyway!
I looked this "mill" over some more, and am not unhappy with it. It's not like I paid a fortune for it.
Picture 001c.jpg
Picture 003c.jpg
Picture 005c.jpg

The way the subs were concocted, this car seems to have been more a road racer than dragster. There are poly bushings in the front anti sway bar and the rear gears are 3.08 Posi, not exactly a drag gear.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Kev442 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 pm

One bonus that helped the purchase was 14" 4x4 wheels. I hope they clean up decent, I like them.
Picture 004c.jpg

The interior has been almost completely replaced with a black one, including an air dash in a non air car. All the trim tags are 62__, meaning this car was originally tan, with tan and more tan and ..., well you get the idea. I'm not a fan of tan, so this is fine.
Picture 007c.jpg

Dash is cracked, I think I have another black pad stashed away.
Picture 008c.jpg

The wipers have a pulse adjustment? Really? Or did someone stick any old knob on there?
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Kev442 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Fronts seats have one crack, otherwise very presentable, helped seal the deal.
Picture 009c.jpg

So, I dug out the oil pan I bought. Ugh, forgot it has major wear from the steering rubbing on it, right down to a hairline crack. OK, I'll weld it up! Poof, blew right through the paper thinness on my lowest setting! :x
An hour later, I have built it up and ground it down 3 times, good enough, but there will be no pictures of this!
Wait a second, where did this scale come from? Holy crap, the area up under the baffle is all scaly, while the rest of it looks nice! Grr, there goes another hour Scotchbriting all that stuff out. Glad I spotted it, major bearing failure in my future with that stuff up in there. I believe the previous motor suffered a major death, antifreeze/water in the pan left to sit a loooong time.

Ok, that went so well, let's look at my $100 "rebuilt" 305. Sparks look good, pan looks good, oil pump looks good. Oops, oil pump drive coupling is dust. Not seeing the rebuilt part here. Exhaust manifolds come off without breaking a stud, cool!
Lets pull the pulleys. Upper pulley and waterpump come right off, passages look acceptable. Lower pulley, oh oh, one bolt is spinning, and no washer! Someone has been in here and its not pretty. Grind the bolt head off. Hey, this bolt had a nut on the backside! :lol:
Pull the balancer, open the timing case. Hmm, I'm no expert, but I don't think I should be able to touch the block with the timing chain. WTF, the upper gear is nylon? I didn't know Chevy did that, only Olds. Well I wasn't putting the engine in without a new chain anyway. I quit for now!
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Return to Project Journals