intro, an old forum participant

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

intro, an old forum participant

Postby 77astresafari » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Greetings,
I used to visit this forum many years ago. I've recently decided to take my Astre out of storage (off the blocks) and at the same time I looked up this forum again. I'm glad to see alot of improvements to the forum and more activity here.

Here are some pics of my wagon. A heat gun was used to remove the faded vinyl wood grain. I cut down some min van chrome side trim and added them temporarily. The chrome served me well while I drove the car for a few years. The plan was to replace with new wood grain since the car came with all the wood grain and trim in place.

Yes, in the motor pic that is working factory AC! Whew, that was a bit of work to get that working again.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77astresafari

Re: intro, an old forum participant

Postby stage169 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 pm

One of 2,578 Astre Safari's for 77 with the Woodgrain Exterior Panel option BX3. Looks very nice.
stage169

Postby 77astresafari » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

re stage169.

Thanks for the info on the production numbers. Now that is some obscure information.

I've done a search on "production numbers" on the forum. It's interesting reading.

I had to delete a picture previously because it was too big. I've resized it and am reposting now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77astresafari

Postby stage169 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Are you the original owner? Obscure info yes but soon to be on Bryan's web site. The Safari Formula was a big surprise to me. Brian
stage169

Postby 77astresafari » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 pm

I believe I am the third owner. According to the guy I bought it from, he bought it from an elderly lady in southern California. She apparently maintained good records and all that literature came with the car.
It's got 73,000 miles on it.

The second owner bought the car and drove it back up to Northern California where I live. That was about a 370 mile drive. I have to give the previous owner credit for driving it that far. I worked on the carb and discovered the second of the two butterflies was stuck closed. The motor, as you probably know, has an odd 2 barrel carb where one barrel works all the time, and the second barrel kicks in as a secondary when needed.

That 4 banger can barely get out of it's own way. That must have been a challenging drive with only half the carb working plus all the cali smog equipment.

here is a scan from the brochure.
Mike
77astresafari

Return to Project Journals