my nighthawk project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: my nighthawk project

Postby gmagilla » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 pm

There's a company in St.Charles , Mo. called Craftsmen Industies , they do signs for all sizes of trucks , trailers and cars . They have a Wheel Of Fortune van pulling a small trailer sitting outside now , I've seen the Weiner Mobile and seems like years ago I seen Kenny Burnstiens Budwieser trailer sitting there . I'm sure it's mostly grafics on vinyl . Maybe you could give them a call or find a web site .
gmagilla

Postby 77nighthawk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 pm

The problem I'm running into with the vinyl is, that vinyl was a special print for GM, and nobody is making anything similar. I'm going to experiment with different paints, to see if I can get the same effect. But, for now, I'm just going to concentrate on the drivetrain, when I have time and money.
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby 77nighthawk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:29 pm

I picked up the "new to me" powerplant for the nighthawk last week.
350buick-4.jpg

I worked on tear-down over the weekend.(didn't have a lot of time)
motor3.jpg
motor1.jpg
motor2.jpg
motor4.jpg

The cylinders look real good. As soon as I get finished with the tear-down, and have the time, I'll be heading to the machine shop with all the parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby stage169 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Those guys really needed a home bad! Special Buick Wasp 350 :D

77nighthawk wrote:The problem I'm running into with the vinyl is, that vinyl was a special print for GM, and nobody is making anything similar. I'm going to experiment with different paints, to see if I can get the same effect. But, for now, I'm just going to concentrate on the drivetrain, when I have time and money.

I've looked into the NightHawk decals some. Here is a response from 3M.

Hi Brian,

My program manager has gathered the below history and information. We also suggest that you go to a company called VisCo if you do get the artwork created for a product to be made.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Brian!

Yup, I remember seeing it before.

Even if someone has the tools to build it though, which I doubt, it's going to be expensive. This kit was produced on 3M Scotchlite material, which is retroreflective like the street signs, which is expensive material, and the ink is also more expensive.

I've been in the business since 1973. For a 1977 vehicle we are likely looking for something that was built long before we had any of the computer systems we use today in place. GM may have been using CAD, most of their suppliers weren't. A lot of hand drawings etc. Back in the 70's the artwork that is used to make the screening positives, which are used to print the image, were all done by hand using a knife and a film called rubylith. That old screening art is long gone I'm afraid.

Blaine and I were just looking through some of our old CAD files and found several from the early 80's but nothing that went back to the 70's. The files from the early 80's look like they were digitized versions of the artwork that had been hand cut but we weren't able to find anything specific to this vehicle. So even though our records showed it as an 80's program, they could've been from something earlier.

So with that in mind, just for the heck of it and to be thorough, I used the customer part numbers noted in the image you sent me to do a search in the ASSE&TS database system. As you know this is where we used to keep all of our part number details. Sorry to report that couldn't find anything with these part numbers. I even tried some different variations and wild cards. Still came up blank.

I'm impressed the Brian was able to get the drawings that he was able to get.

What I think Brian is going to need to do is find someone that is willing to digitize either the drawings that he has (what's here won't work), or parts off a vehicle. Then he'll need to find someone that can use that to make screening art, print and cut the parts. The cutting operation can be done digitally, the artwork can be digitally produced as well, but overall part shapes and images will be needed. Whoever prints for him will need to print using the 3M Scotchlite materials, or something very similar, in order to match what was done before.

The nice thing for him is once he has part shapes he should be able to find someone that can help him through the next steps. And if they end up screwing up along the way he has something to go to someone else with.

There is a slight chance that we have one of these on a Sample board in 209. I'm planning on going over there in the next week or so and will make a point of looking for it. It won't be the full kit though.

This email was in March so I need to get back and see if this program manager found anything on that sample board 209. Over the phone they said they would email pictures if any H body decal was found.

3M still makes the Scotchlite vinyl so it is possible. I have no idea what the ink would cost and Visco would not do it. There is a local sign shop near me that will do it but I have yet to show up there with my information. I would like to put the NightHawk or Free Spirit decals on someday but that is down the road for me too.

At least the wheel opening decals are not reflective and 3M still makes that vinyl also. If you haven't seen my post on the NightHawk you might want to check it out. Not that it is ground breaking or anything but it does tell the story of how Buick created the Nighthawk and shows pictures of the prototype. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31118 The pics are on my old ISP site so they will probably go away soon. If the prototype pictures don't show the whole car just right click and save the photo and you will be able to see the entire picture. Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby 77nighthawk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Yeah, I had to evict the tenents for non-payment of rent. They made such a buzz about it. :lol: :lol: As far as the vinyl, I've pretty much given up on finding anything. I've heard "can't get it", and "don't wanna try and make it", so much, I just want to hit something. If you can get someone to actually attempt something, that's an achievement in itself. Everybody I've talked to ain't interested in even trying. So, for now, I'm just going to work on making it go under it's own power. Brad

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby 77nighthawk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 am

I managed to pull the rest of the bottom end apart tonight. The guy that gave me this motor said; "I hammered a rod bearing, so I put a brand new crank in it. After that, the bottom end was tight as he11. I got it fired up, and after 30 seconds, she stuck." I called the guy tonight and asked if it was a turned crank, or a brand new crank with standard main and rod journals. He assured me that was a brand new, never run before, standard journal crank. I replied, they sold you .020 rod and main bearings.
motor5.jpg

Lucky for me, the motor wasn't siezed, but it was "tight as he11". I still have to pop the freeze plugs out, and remove the dipstick tube, maybee tomorrow.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby 77nighthawk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 pm

I got the block ready to go to the machine shop. The cylinders have to go .030 over, so I have to wait till I can get the pistons to take it to the machine shop. The only other thing I got done was getting the oil pan, and 1 valve cover cleaned, stripped, and painted.
covers.jpg

I "think" I decided on what wheel I want to go with. What do you all think of this one?
buickgswheel.jpg

I did try on an old set of wheels and tires that I had, just to see what it looked like. It looked real good to me, but it isn't the look I want.
nighthawk2.jpg

After seeing that last picture, I think I need to wash my car!

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby cosworth0135 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:26 pm

i like that look.but its not my car,nor did you ask for my money to build it.Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby ironwillsv8vega » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Sweet looking paint on the valve covers and pan...... :th:
1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim--Restored
1985 Honda Goldwing
1973 VW Super Beetle--Restored
1995 Mits Eclipse GST Turbo--Daily Driver
1973 Chevy Vega 350/350 (under construction)
ironwillsv8vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 am

Yes on the Buick wheels. And yes, that paint looks great on the Buick tin.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby 77nighthawk » Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Dusted off the nighthawk, and started looking for parts. After 6 months of searching the www, I found a taillight! I am currently looking for a parts car for some interior and body parts, so if anyone has something that they're willing to part with for some $$$, shoot me a message please.

taillight.jpg

taillight2.jpg

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby Vega45 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:58 am

I have a set of taillights for sale I tried to send you a private message but no luck so here it is asking $75 I have both of them the other on has a small crack in the lens
Vega45

Postby EagleFish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:17 pm

All of the upholstery material for the inside of your NightHawk should still be available. The cloth inserts for the seats is GM's standard "Houndstooth" material.

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby 77nighthawk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Hey John. How's it going? I'm VERY slowly gathering parts for the Nighthawk. I've got a good driver's seat now, and will be looking to re-upholster the front seats as soon as I get my '79 Monza done. I've been looking for a source for the pre-sewn seat covers, but haven't found anything yet. It's looking like I'll have to buy the fabric, and take the seats, and fabric, to an upholstery shop. Brad

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby 77nighthawk » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Took a trip to Wichita tonight. Finally found the wheels I've been wanting for my Nighthawk. I had it narrowed down to 2 different factory Buick wheels, and had a preference for the ones I found, but didn't think I would find a set in my price range. I guess patience paid off. I'll have to get a set of centercaps, but I've seen them all over ebay for about $50. The pic only shows 3, but I got all 4. Brad

20151206_201332r25.jpg

buickgrandnationalr60.jpg

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Previous

Return to Project Journals