75 Monza (rhd) rebuild

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 75 Monza (rhd) rebuild

Postby sirrick4 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:23 pm

G'day Ian. looking good mate. I'm so glad that mine hasn't got as much rust as yours. I pulled the motor from mine yesterday - it is spotless inside. Looks like it has only recently been rebuilt :th: I've got my alloy heads arriving soon. I'm getting upper and lower control arms from Justin at overkill racing - nice bloke and really helpful - he has changed them for me to accept HQ ball joints so I can use HQ-Z stubs which I have modified to accept 330mm VP HSV commodore discs and twin pot calipers. I think it should stop a bit better now. :D I'll get some pics on soon
Rick
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby qld monza » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:08 am

Well Rick you're really getting into it I used HQ stubs with Bob Gumms ball joint adaptors with power steer arms that sped up the steering .Justins control arms look interesting .Can't wait to here how you get on with them i could be tempted.I think the rust in mine is from sitting under a mango tree for 6-8 years in Cairns so previous owner told me.see you later. Ian
qld monza

1975 Chevrolet Monza Hatchback

Postby sirrick4 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 am

Haha mate. Are you sure some of the rust wasn't caused by flying fox crap?
sirrick4

Postby NixVegaGT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 am

OMG! Does this look familiar. I unearthed some pretty crazy patches in my Vega. I mean, put a bunch of patches in there but at least get them CLOSE to the body line. A little close. GEEZ! I ended up fabricating a whole section that was made up of about 5 pieces of tin can. It just didn't make any sense.

Nice job so far!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby qld monza » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 am

The body filler was up to 3/8 inch thick or more in some places even where there was no old repairs :? makes you wonder what goes through some peoples minds when it comes to rust repairs.He must have shares in a body filler factory.haha.Ian
qld monza

Postby qld monza » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:09 am

Another part of the rebuild is converting from th350 to 4 sp saginaw .being rhd meant the clutch cable had to be about 6ft long i'm using a monza bellhousing .After reading some of the problems some of you have had with breaking cables got me thinking will it happen to me what is the alternative.maybe hydraulic is the way to go ,I picked up a master and slave cylinders of some model (dare i say)phord which looked like what i needed at a swapmeet.Made amounting bracket out of angle iron for slave cyl and mounted master on firewall,couldn't get enough travel on slave cyl to disengage clutch,put on a bigger diameter master i had leftover from my T roadster bingo i have a clutch that works and not to heavy a pedal to push.Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qld monza

Postby sirrick4 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 am

Looking good mate. I've been having a bit of fun as well.
sirrick4

Postby qld monza » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:22 am

Rick how is the Hilux diff conversion going,are you going to use torque arm set up or maybe four bar?
qld monza

Postby SOLSAKS » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 am

what do we think ?..well I think it looks great.
very nice, it will be much better that the plastic valance
nice job ! :D
dave in North Carolina, USA
SOLSAKS

Postby qld monza » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks Dave I also have the Camaro spoiler to fit as long as i have enough ground clearance i have always liked to do something different not that there's many Monzas in this neck of the woods.Ian :D
qld monza

Postby qld monza » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:08 am

A little progress painting is almost done just front rubber panel left,side windows and trim on, rear bumper on,lower dash in,brakes and clutch lines run,steering column hooked up.Here are some photos so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qld monza

Postby sirrick4 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Looking Good Ian. I wish mine was that far advanced. What's with the louvered panel just forward of the doors? I haven't been doing much to my car because it's too bloody hot in my shed during summer - averages about 40 - 45 degrees so I've mainly been saving my coins buying engine parts and now I've got them all. I don't know if you drove yours before pulling it apart but how was the steering/handling? My steering was too quick and light with no feel. Keep up the good work mate :th:
sirrick4

Postby qld monza » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 am

Rick i wondered if any one would notice that i'm sure i blocked off the air way to the foot well vents when i rebuilt the rusted hood hinge mount area.that's my way around it(should of sat the guard on for the photo and no one would know :oops: )put in some ceiling fans in your shed makes it a bit more bearable on those hot days.Drove mine for about 5 years before the rebuild and was the opposite to yours but is quicker now with the Holden short steering arms.Ian
qld monza

Postby Stevie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

monza75tc wrote:Here is one that is very close to what I have.

Dick

This looks like a air dam from the german company Zender. In my early days, many of those BMW had these parts installed.

Steffen
'75 Vega hatchback, bright yellow, mostly stock- except of 14'' Minilite wheels on 205/60 R 14, Grant steering wheel and some minor changes...
Stevie

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby qld monza » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 am

Here's some pics of how far the rebuild is going......only the interior to go :D
qld monza

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals