'73 Wagon for Dwight (bugdewde)

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: '73 Wagon for Dwight (bugdewde)

Postby bugdewde » Tue May 24, 2016 9:11 pm

hoffbug wrote:Dwight.

What did you use for exhaust manifolds.. I have a set of Buick 300 manifolds and in preliminary mockup they look tight to the steering shaft. Do you have a picture of the drivers side engine compartment?

I don't have manifolds on this particular car/engine..... it is on the back burner and possibly becoming a donor car for my current '72 with a 215.

Of course, my other two 215-powered Vegas had manifolds. The 215 manifold needed to be ground down a little bit where it is closest to the steering shaft. The shaft itself was also clearanced a bit, too. Easy to see the flat grinding spots.... harder to see the ample clearance at this angle. Worked perfectly for years.
Here's a pic of it in my old '72 Hatchback:
215 steering shaft close up.jpg

My current 215-powered Wagon (not this one in this thread) has 300 manifolds. It also has been clearanced, but not the shaft. There is ample clearance. It appears this engine has been set back just a little more than the other 215. Additionally, this head is an Olds version, so there may be some variances there, too.
exhaust steering clearance.jpeg

In addition, 300 manifolds exit more forward and straighter down than the 215 manifolds, which exit at the rear of the manifold and at a rear angle. The 300 is easier to route downpipe.... but interferes with clutch cable. The 215 downpipe needed a 90 to clear the firewall and bracing down low in the engine bay of the car.
clutch cable interferance 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: '73 Wagon for Dwight (bugdewde)

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Found a use for the mock-up block in this stalled project.............

Decided to see how hard/easy it was to make a table out of an engine block. Been wanting to do one for years, and after a discussion with the gal-pal about furnishings for the recent house purchase, I decided to see if I could do it.

WOW! It took 5 minutes to build.....
1. After separating the rod caps, I simple slid one rod bolt into a head bolt hole. The other rod bolt just hangs in the lifter valley pan area.
2. The pistons are almost level.... will need some tweaking/leveling to sit flat.
3. Cut some old blue jean grease rags up to keep the glass from getting scratched/nasty from the old carboned up pistons.
4. Added Sunscreen, Bug Spray and a bottle of hootch to the cylinders for effect...... :lol:

My new back porch/deck coffee table.

215 table.jpeg

215 table glass side view.jpeg

215 table top view glass.jpeg

The aluminum block is fine, but the steel rods/pistons will need some clear coat to prevent rusting. After a good de-greasing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Previous

Return to Project Journals