Pro Tour Astre

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pro Tour Astre

Postby NixVegaGT » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:32 am

I dig the solutions you came up with to fit those fatties all around. Having gone through this process too, I can't believe you were able to get them under there! LOL!

I think using the C5 front suspension is a pretty cool solution. Making the stock suspension work at the ride height we need to get around 34" dia tires, is pretty challenging. I found one of the hardest parts for me was the lower front fender panel. (On the early body). It's inspiring reading through your process and seeing your willingness to move past the challenges by detaching from the original design. It took me some time to finally come to the conclusion that in order to get what I wanted I had to let go of that too.

Thanks for regularly updating your journal. I've been struggling with finding time to do that but I really need to get it up to date.

Fun stuff!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ponchonuty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 am

What a AWESOME build!!! Now I know who's rendering I have for a screen saver lol
ponchonuty

Postby Ckill » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:20 pm

If you don't mind me asking who did your renderings and how much did it cost? Would love to have my vega done up like you did with the pro-touring look.

Thanks
Chris.
Ckill

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Hey Nick thanks for the complements, I have spent many hours looking at your project journal so I know you have gone through the thought process about what to do to the front end.

I planned on buying Justins parts but, thats kinda like lipstick on a pig, mostly due to the short control arm length.

If I had to do it over I may go for the Pinto/Mustang II suspension kits that are out there, would have made for easier quicker build and handling probably would have been just as good as this setup.

I have stalled, been trying to build headers for the first time, what a pain in the ass I am sure I have 40 hours in one side!

I will post some pictures of them soon, hopefully get the passenger header finished this weekend. (I doubt it)

Glad to see your progress on your project, going to be some bad as touring Vegas one day.

NixVegaGT wrote:I dig the solutions you came up with to fit those fatties all around. Having gone through this process too, I can't believe you were able to get them under there! LOL!

I think using the C5 front suspension is a pretty cool solution. Making the stock suspension work at the ride height we need to get around 34" dia tires, is pretty challenging. I found one of the hardest parts for me was the lower front fender panel. (On the early body). It's inspiring reading through your process and seeing your willingness to move past the challenges by detaching from the original design. It took me some time to finally come to the conclusion that in order to get what I wanted I had to let go of that too.

Thanks for regularly updating your journal. I've been struggling with finding time to do that but I really need to get it up to date.

Fun stuff!
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm

The guy who did it website is newsightdesigns@gmail.com I would rather not say the price I am sure he can quote you one.

Ckill wrote:If you don't mind me asking who did your renderings and how much did it cost? Would love to have my vega done up like you did with the pro-touring look.

Thanks
Chris.
avewhtboy

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Is this his Facebook page? And if so where the H :censored: L is the Bad A$$ A$tre's? Some nice looking renderings on there. As for price go to your local art fair and check out any sketch's of that calibre and Hold on! Serious talent gets paid like serious talent! And you got two didn't you, A Formula and a T/A version? Those are well done and truly "Art" and will be cherished for a long time to come. I too wish I had the talent or the money for some of those. :mrgreen: Harry https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Sigh ... 0118550859
rm617 wrote:I like the look of this. "Trans Astre" :th: :D

Oh and what he said That would be an Awesome name for your Beautiful Beast.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Yes that's his facebook page and I guess he doesn't know how cool Vega's/Astre's are because I for sure think both of these should be posted on his page but I am glad they aren't!

Monza Harry wrote:Is this his Facebook page? And if so where the H :censored: L is the Bad A$$ A$tre's? Some nice looking renderings on there. As for price go to your local art fair and check out any sketch's of that calibre and Hold on! Serious talent gets paid like serious talent! And you got two didn't you, A Formula and a T/A version? Those are well done and truly "Art" and will be cherished for a long time to come. I too wish I had the talent or the money for some of those. :mrgreen: Harry https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Sigh ... 0118550859
rm617 wrote:I like the look of this. "Trans Astre" :th: :D

Oh and what he said That would be an Awesome name for your Beautiful Beast.
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:16 pm

OK long time no update, I have been stuck trying to get some way to get exhaust out of the heads and down to some where that I could connect exhaust pipes too.

Since my frame rails are so tight (24 inches between outside of rails) I had a really hard time finding anything to fit. Of course the truck manifolds wouldn't work, the F-body manifolds and headers,

would not fit. I bought some C5 Corvette manifolds, they didn't fit. I bought some Hooker shorty block hugger headers, they didn't fit, but were close, the frame rail would need to have been modified and not in a place I was comfortable with deforming the rail so those didn't fit.

I ended up buying a set of LS exhaust flanges and a shorty header kit and got to work. Actually, first I tried modifying the F-body headers but they turned out really ugly so I started over.

So at this point I have the passenger side "finished" except I am going to have to heat a couple tubes and flatten them to make room for the starter.

Here's some pictures, I haven't cleaned up the welds on the tubes just making sure it fits before I try to make it pretty (aka black so they are hidden)

avewhtboy

Postby waybad » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:24 pm

now you know why those headers cost so much!! mine took forever to get built :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Ckill » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll look him up and see about having him do a vega in my colors and with the pro-touring look.
Oh btw the headers look good for a first attempt.

And.....your pic is on his FB page :th: :th: :th:
Ckill

Postby bbcowboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:23 pm

The headers are lookin good.. I know your pain.....that is what I ended up doing buying the flange and pipes....Keep on going with your project...
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:03 am

Ckill wrote:And.....your pic is on his FB page :th: :th: :th:
I guess I didn't wait for it to load as I looked to the end of what came up and "Nothing?" yet tonight it is there with many others, and he has "Vision" he turned some ugly cars into things I now want! I have to ask why you wouldn't want yours up there? The one he posted looks great and your car is looking like it will be the EQUAL in quality and vision, even if you tweak your own plan (who amongst us hasn't done that? Wait I haven't finished my car for that very reason, now on version 4 or 5) And don't be hard on your headers I have some factory built ones that are hideous and don't fit! H-Bodies offer some unique exhaust challenges. You sure seem to have the skill and determination to make the best of that though! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Monza Harry wrote:
Ckill wrote:And.....your pic is on his FB page :th: :th: :th:
I guess I didn't wait for it to load as I looked to the end of what came up and "Nothing?" yet tonight it is there with many others, and he has "Vision" he turned some ugly cars into things I now want! I have to ask why you wouldn't want yours up there? The one he posted looks great and your car is looking like it will be the EQUAL in quality and vision, even if you tweak your own plan (who amongst us hasn't done that? Wait I haven't finished my car for that very reason, now on version 4 or 5) And don't be hard on your headers I have some factory built ones that are hideous and don't fit! H-Bodies offer some unique exhaust challenges. You sure seem to have the skill and determination to make the best of that though! Harry

Thanks Harry, I just read this. You would be surprised how little I paid for those renderings is why I am not wanting to post the price, I am sure he is getting way more
now so I don't want to spoil it by saying what he charged me. I didnt want mine there because I didn't want someone to steal my ideas and build it before me !

And as you know they are never done that is part of the fun. Unfortunately I have a major diversion now.

avewhtboy

Postby zeke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Ambitious project! Awesome work!
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:49 pm

zeke wrote:Ambitious project! Awesome work!

hey thanks I am really enjoying building it and look forward to driving it someday SOON!

However, the blue car has really set me back on this project both time and parts wise. I stole some parts from
this for the blue car so it's taken a few steps backwards.

But, I think I have a friend coming over soon to help me wire up the motor that will be some progress we will see if that happens.
avewhtboy

Previous

Return to Project Journals