72 vega budget build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 72 vega budget build

Postby gotmud7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Make sure you keep the chrome wheelwell trim. Those might be worth more than the whole care right now. Keep up the work! Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Vega45 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm

If you are looking for a pass floor pan $100 plus shipping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vega45

Postby rustyfords » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Good luck with it. Looks like a good start once you get that rust conquered.
rustyfords

Postby ryguy442 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks guys, yeah that rust it a bit discouraging but oh well I know I can fix it. I would've loved to start with a rust free car but we all know with these cars finding a rust free one is pretty much impossible. I'm tring to figure out how to get the back alittle lower once I get the rearend in it. Kinda seems like a pain to cut the coil because of the way it sits in the body is have to heat it and make a flat surface for it seat correctly. It's all going to be just tacked in place for now intill I motor and trans in so I can double check the pinon angle. For now I'm setting the pinon to stock. Ill keep updating as i make progress.

Ryan
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am

Ok not much progress was made over the weekend. I got the new rearend under it, but had some problems. I have it tacked in place but the problem is I want a lower ride height, and as I set it at ride height the rear end moves forward and isn't centered in the wheel wells. I'm wanting to fit a 235/60/15 in the rear and it'll hit the front of the wheel wells the way it is now. My best solution to this would be get the rear end on jack stands at ride height under the car, center it in the wheel wells, and If have to make new brackets for the lower control arms ill do that. We'll see what happens. :|
ryguy442

Postby megavega » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 pm

ryguy442 wrote:Ok not much progress was made over the weekend. I got the new rearend under it, but had some problems. I have it tacked in place but the problem is I want a lower ride height, and as I set it at ride height the rear end moves forward and isn't centered in the wheel wells. I'm wanting to fit a 235/60/15 in the rear and it'll hit the front of the wheel wells the way it is now. My best solution to this would be get the rear end on jack stands at ride height under the car, center it in the wheel wells, and If have to make new brackets for the lower control arms ill do that. We'll see what happens. :|

easiest way to solve this is to put it where you want it and use adjustable rear control arms to set the pinion angle and to center the tire in the wheel well. Measure off your front spindle center on each side so you get it in there square. Theres multiple companys who sell the adjustable control arms, bolt them in adjust, tighten up jam nuts and your done...... :D
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby ryguy442 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Yeah that would be the easiest solution, but unfortunetly I don't have $200 to drop on the control arms. :( I kinda have to work with what I got. Atleast this way I can make sure the lower control arms are level at ride height. Somewhere in my garage I have a pair of coilovers that I couldn't use on another project because the car was too heavy for them. They would work great on the vega. Now I just gotta find them

Ryan
ryguy442

Postby ryguy442 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 am

Not much progress this week but I did score this for $40, think its a 16g
ryguy442

Postby Zanie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm

megavega wrote:
easiest way to solve this is to put it where you want it and use adjustable rear control arms to set the pinion angle and to center the tire in the wheel well. Measure off your front spindle center on each side so you get it in there square. Theres multiple companys who sell the adjustable control arms, bolt them in adjust, tighten up jam nuts and your done...... :D

I gotta agree here; You are not just paying for the parts you are paying for adjustablity. Rather than redoing your rear end mounts, you'd be ahead of the game by making your own adjustable control arms.
Dan
73 vega wagon LS1 T56 build thread
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36579
Zanie

Postby 73astregt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 pm

one thing to think about if you havent already is to wait to do your driveshaft till you have your final ride height figured out, if you move the rear axle to center it in the wheelwell you might end up with not enough contact from the yoke to transmission tail shaft splines. i know with my t5 transmission the yoke had a fairly short length to it and would not sit far enough on the tailshaft after moving the rear with adjustable control arms. there was a lot of potential for a nasty failure plus ,or vibration problems. you also dont want it too far into the transmission either.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Previous

Return to Project Journals