1972 Vega GT Wagon build

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1972 Vega GT Wagon build

Postby CK88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 am

Hey guys, new to posting here, but been lurking for a while now. I picked up my new baby a couple weeks ago from a guy in Seattle. Trailered it home and I'm starting the rebuild on it. This is going to be a long project, so I can't promise a bunch of new exciting stuff to be going on all the time, but I figured I would get it started and fill in as I go.

My plan for it is to get it as street worthy and comfortable to drive as possible. I'd like to have the old school look, with some new school amenities. This is going to be my (hopefully) daily driver. For that reason I don't know if the traditional SBC swap is where I'm going with it. I have a donor 89 S10 with a 4.3 that is looking mighty tasty for parts right now. That would give me a little, and I do mean little, more fuel economy, while still having the kick of a bigger block. Thinking I might do the 4.3 swap, with EFI, power steering, rear end swap with discs around. I figured the 4.3 would also give me a couple more inches in front of the block to work with, and/or work around. Not a huge deal, but it can't hurt. Going to strip the body clean and get the relatively little cancer out of it. I have some around the outside of the hood on the front fenders, as well as some around the windshield. Other than that, she's pretty clean. BUT, I'm going to just go the whole way and strip it clean so it will actually last a while. Anything worth doing is worth doing right! I've seen a couple posts on here about people doing a U Joint mod on the steering shaft, so I thought that looked pretty intriguing also. I'd like to give that a try to clear up some more room for headers. Other than that, just replacing and cleaning it up, taking care of 30+ years of neglect...

For the interior, I'm a little less decided. I think it will kinda come together as I go. Definitely going to have my buddy reupholster the seats, but other than that not totally sure yet.

I'd love some input from anyone on here. This is a learning project for me. I've done builds before (stripped/built/rebuilt plenty of derby cars), but this is my first vega build. Anyway, help me out guys, give me the 411. Done TONS of reading through the site, but would love the input as I go. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CK88

Re: 1972 Vega GT Wagon build

Postby CK88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 am

Last "before" pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CK88

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 am

Hi CK88 I have an 01 Sonoma with the "Vortec 4.3L" and CPI fuel injection (I dont see any injectors on top) and this economy truck goes like money in a speed shop (gone fast) that should be a blast in a lightweight early Vega and good luck with traction my truck has almost none even with 255/60-15's Keep the posts coming. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby megavega » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Looks like you certainly have a nice start. Use as much as you can from the s10, front spindles/brakes,engine/transmission, rear end.
As long as its a 2wd s10 everything will go into the vega, and it will be quite peppy when done! 4.3 is a pretty healthy engine and the little vega will respond well, you should be able to leave rubber on demand with that drivetrain and get great gas mpg at the same time once you learn to not smash the fun pedal so much...lol :D

p.s. dont throw away the vega rearend, as youll need to remove the mounting brackets from the axle tubes and apply them to the s10 rear end, then it will bolt right in, its the perfect width.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby CK88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks mega, I'm really looking forward to this one. Can't wait to get her cleaned up and "new car" quality again. I really like the 4.3 engine also. I have one in my 89 s10 4x4 and not only does it have plenty of power, but it's pretty dang easy to work on, and parts are CHEAP! It will be nice to have one in the vega also so all of my parts will be interchangeable.

So I had been hearing people talk about having to do mods on the rear end of the s10 to make it that "perfect" fit for the vega, is this not the case with the 80's era 2wd? Everything I have will bolt on once parts are transferred over? If so, you just made my freakin day! As for the EFI swap, I need some help with where to go on that.
CK88

Postby CK88 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 am

Need some help on decisions. I'm going with my 4.3 motor, but haven't decided on trans yet. I'm going to be using this for a daily driver as much as possible, and would love to be able to drive it across the state (WA) sometimes to see family. In other words, I want something that will let me cruise at 60-70 when I want to. I'm also partial to the manual 4sp... I don't really want to go with an automatic unless I have to.

I've heard that the TH350 is good for low speed driving, but that it will kill gas mileage at higher speeds (rpms). I've heard good things about the newer (85+) 700r4, but also have heard some people say that they are tough to fit in smaller cars and require some fab work. I've also heard that they are a little bit less suitable for higher torque situations and lower RPM's. And, from what I have found, all or most are automatic with overdrive... These are the only two styles I've really looked into much...

What would everyone recommend as far as trans to match to the 4.3 Chev for everyday kind of driving with a mix of highway and city driving? Looking for something with decent MPG, but still able to snap the head back in the seat when I want to. If you have any other suggestions on top of the two I've given I'd appreciate that also. I want something that is going to be pretty easy to install, without a bunch of welding and cutting, but right now I just want some info on them. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with this, feel free to send me to a sticky or post if this has been discussed for a 4.3. And yes, I know its basically the same block so SBC's would be about the same, but performance and torque are a little different.
CK88

Postby CK88 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 am

Suppose I should have also said that this car will be getting the S10 rear end swap done also, so the 4.3 will be in front of (I think) 3.73 gears, or something close to that. And it should be putting out around 200hp when installed.

Also, as far as I know, though I haven't checked this trucks trans, the Tahoe editions came with the 700r4 trans? If that's the case, then my decision might have just gotten a little easier.
CK88

Postby Kenova » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 am

I believe most 4.3s had the 700R4 or 4L60E behind them. For the most part they are the same transmission but the 4L60E is computer controlled and both have overdrive. The 3.73s would work but for a semi daily driver you may be happier with 3.42s. Either trans would handle the power of a 4.3. If you are having the trans rebuilt have it built to V8 specs and it will just about be indestructible behind the V6.
I have heard the overdrive transmissions are a tight fit in the early H-bodies, but they do fit if you create a little more clearance here and there.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby bugdewde » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 am

Find a 3rd generation V8 Camaro to get the 0.63 overdrive 5th gear in a T-5 5-speed........
I calculated using mine with 3.42 rear gears and a 24 inch tall rear tire(if I remember correctly) something like 1800 rpm at 65-70 mph.

Here's a useful guide to the T-5 trans that are out there: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg- ... D-Tags.htm
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Since you are patial to a manual, Dwight is right on... T-5.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby megavega » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:31 pm

CK88 wrote:Thanks mega, I'm really looking forward to this one. Can't wait to get her cleaned up and "new car" quality again. I really like the 4.3 engine also. I have one in my 89 s10 4x4 and not only does it have plenty of power, but it's pretty dang easy to work on, and parts are CHEAP! It will be nice to have one in the vega also so all of my parts will be interchangeable.

So I had been hearing people talk about having to do mods on the rear end of the s10 to make it that "perfect" fit for the vega, is this not the case with the 80's era 2wd? Everything I have will bolt on once parts are transferred over? If so, you just made my freakin day! As for the EFI swap, I need some help with where to go on that.

the rear end will work out of any year s10 as long as its 2wd. The s10 uses leaf springs the vega uses a 4 link with coilsprings, so you have to remove the brackets from both rear end housings and put the vega brackets on the s10 rearend and it will bolt right in. The stock vega rearend is a wimpy 6.5 inch and the s10 is either a 7.5 or 7.625(7 5/8"). They did make some 2wd s10 rear ends that were 8.5 inch in the v6 stick shift ones, but they are fairly rare.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby waybad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm

me likey!!
Tinker
waybad

Postby CK88 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 pm

You guys are freakin awesome. I really appreciate the input. I have heard, and actually driven an 80's maro with a 5sp t-5. Never would have thought to put one in the Vega. I think that's a perfect option for this car and will have plenty of guts to handle 200hp. The tough part is I don't see many of them around, and the ones I have found are pretty expensive. Money isn't really the object here, I know this is going to be a lifer project, and I want it to be done up exactly how I want it. I did find this T-5 on ebay for pretty damn cheap, but it's out of a 93 s10, so I wasn't sure how that would work, or if it would. I'm assuming the tail housing is different? Here's the link to it. I'd be doing a full rebuild on it anyway, so miles aren't a huge concern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1352-232-WORLD- ... vi-content

I looked up the numbers on this model and it looks like it came off a 2.8. Didn't know if this trans would bolt up to the 4.3, and/or if it would mount to the car alright, with the shifter lining up?
CK88

Postby CK88 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Alright, I found a T-5 out of an 84 Camaro. It was behind a 305 and had 135xxx on it. Owner says it was rebuilt but doesn't remember when. I have to go check it out to see if it's something I want. What are these things going for right now? I'm finding prices all over the place, but don't know what to even offer the guy. I'm assuming it needs a rebuild, and want to make sure I have some wiggle room to account for that.

Also, before I go any farther, just want to confirm that this will fit in the tunnel of my wagon? I'm not going to have to do a bunch of mods to get it bolted in?

Also big thanks to VegaJeff for hooking me up with some 4.3 mounts! Can't wait to get that part started and put a new power plant in the old girl.

Right now I'm working on some body work. I pulled the front quarters off and have been grinding down all the rust, bondo, and nastiness that's built up over the years underneath it. Stripped the panels down to bare metal and reprimed them. Not trying to get that "finished product" look right now, but I wanted to try and preserve what I have so I have something to work with later on when the cash flow is there to do the paint right. I'm pulling out the battery tray tonight to get that cleaned up and reprimed. I've seen horror stories of peoples fenders under the tray and I DONT WANT THAT! Will post pics tonight when I get home.

ALSO! I pulled off and rebuilt the carb last week. Got it all put back together this week and started it up. It idles fine, but after sitting for a few minutes it started getting some white smoke forming from around the exhaust/intake manifolds. It wasn't anything SUPER serious, like when I blew my head gasket on my truck, but it was noticible. I also noticed a little bit of white smoke coming out of the lower radiator hose where it connects to the radiator. Pulled off the oil filler cap to check and see if there was any coolant in the engine and it looked clean. No white on the cap, nothing. Temp reading sat right around 220* and there was no smoke coming from the other side of the block, or out of the tail pipe. I DID change the oil in it, and according to the dip stick I overfilled by about a half quart. Do you guys think that the smoke could be coming from oil coming out of one of the upper gaskets and burning on the exhaust manifold? I had always heard that oil smoke was blue, and coolant smoke was white, which is why I figured coolant leak at first. According to the previous owner, the head gasket had been replaced within the last 2 years, but I can't confirm that. It's not dripping any oil or coolant down under the block, so I don't suspect a head leak. Any suggestions?
CK88

Postby bugdewde » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 pm

CK88 wrote:Alright, I found a T-5 out of an 84 Camaro. It was behind a 305 and had 135xxx on it. ?

According to the chart I posted above, the '84 5.0L V8 T-5s had the 0.73 Overdrive..... not near as much overdrive as the 0.63 of the '85 V8.

Prices are all over the place..... I found one for $250..... shipping was another $50. Seller said it was good.... arrived very greasy and dirty on the outside but the inside fluid looked good. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

They have lots of different input shaft spline count and size if I remember correctly..... you'll need one for a V8, I don't think the 2.8 or the 3.8 will fit the clutch/pressure plate of a 4.3..... but I don't know for sure. There are a few posts on here about it.... probably have to use the search button on that one.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Next

Return to Project Journals