Eric's 74 express wagon

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Eric's 74 express wagon

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 am

I'm new to the site, but have had my vega for a long time. Bought the car from a cool old dude down the street when I was 13 shortly after watching a hotrod tv show about the Yenko vega. Got it from the original owner. My dad then drove it around for a while with the stock setup and decided that it needed more power. We happened to have a grand national motor sitting on the floor in the garage with the turbo and port injection. Had that all together and did 0 body work. I drove it that way all through high school at which point it got stollen and then recovered less a whole bunch of parts and a serious dent and twist in the body. Lost interest at that point, but have been collecting parts for the last 10years for doing the 3.5 Buick v8 with the rover injection swap. I've been reading through others posts getting inspiration. Great site and hopefully the inspiration keeps flowing. I need to get my brothers project out of the garage and then I'm on my way.
IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Wiggly

1974 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Re: Eric's 74 express wagon

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am

here is what I have so far for my trans, I will be starting on my s10 8.5 rear with disc swap soon.
IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Wiggly

Postby sportriderok » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 am

Looks like a cool project. I'm glad you decided to give it another life instead of letting it go. I'll be following your build. :th:
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby Kenova » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm

How in the world did you manage to score two identical panel wagons!? :shock:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Kenova wrote:How in the world did you manage to score two identical panel wagons!? :shock:

Ken

And you just happen to have a Grand National (complete) engine in the way in the garage! Do you play the lottery and do you want to halfsy's on a big POWERBALL ticket? :lol: You Lucky B :censored: :mrgreen: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 pm

thanks for the support,
I got the second 74 panel delivery for 200 after a few years of driving the first one around. It was just fate.
as for the grand national motor, it was given to my dad when I was real young by the neighbor who had several of those cars.

some of the stuff from the second panel will be up for trade when Im all done with the bodywork on the first one. it will be fairly bare, but there should be some stuff that might be worth while. It actually had a factory posi when I took it apart.
Uncle Wiggly

Postby bugdewde » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 pm

:popcorn: Waiting .......

I love the 3.5L V8. I went with an Edelbrock 500 de-tuned from D&D fab and a low base air cleaner to clear the hood on my old '72.
I didn't think the Rover injection stuff will fit under the hood........ ? Does it?

Would love to have an injected 215.... should make turbo charging it easier... hahahaha.....
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 am

the D&D engines that I have seen in the MG circles have been done very well,

The Rover injection from a 3.9L is not any taller then a carb and air cleaner set, Although I have never had my engine fully put together enough to test fit the engine compartment. I am starting with the rear of the car and building the diff and suspension first. I recently acquired an 8.5 s10 rear with disc brakes that Im setting up with stock mounts. Also just ordered a Full set of suspension and subframe connectors from Overkill. Getting real excited to be reacquainted with my car.
Uncle Wiggly

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 am

Just a little update. Got a bunch of parts ordered from Justin at Overkill, and got my S-10 diff set up with some new mounts. Just need to wait for a sunny day to bolt it up to the car and check and see how centered I am before burning those mounts on permanent.
Uncle Wiggly

Postby 1100kaw » Tue May 28, 2013 6:55 pm

neat project. Looks like your off to a good start. Wagons to boot. yeehaa.
the rear end brackets look almost like new peices. Can these be bought new?. If not new, skillfully removed from doner and dressed up nicely.
I sure would like to have a set. I plan on the 8.5 swap. Would like to have it built and ready before i tear my 7.5 out.
Keep on this thing.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Wed May 29, 2013 11:19 pm

I cut those mounts from the stock rear. The real trick now will be finding all the part numbers to get some new seals and bearings without knowing what this rear came from. I have a base idea of possibly from a 2001 s10 2wd with high output v6. ended up with this one when I went to get a 7.5 that had already been converted, but it had a chipped ring gear. I will get my parts test fitted this weekend and then welded on. then it will be off to the powder coaters. Thanks for the support, and I may have an extra set of mounts if you're not in a hurry.
Uncle Wiggly

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey Eric :th: says it all. Darrel, Justin Kill (Overkill) sells the mounts as a package I think he quoted me $300+/- it's been a while Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Uncle Wiggly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

just a quick update as to what has been done over the last few weeks. I have cleaned out the garage and found some space to get the vega in, so I will be starting on getting the body seems welded and get a new roof put on. Also got all my new parts from Overkill and have all my differential parts ready for powder coating. everything is off to the coaters on saturday.
Uncle Wiggly

Return to Project Journals