75 cosworth, going to a v8

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

75 cosworth, going to a v8

Postby Freetard » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:27 am

i found this vega on craigslist about a year and a half ago, and ive had to move it around a bunch of times since then. but not i finnaly got it in my garage and making progress. plans are for a revy v8, better brakes wheels and tires, restore the interior, then drive it and go from there.

what it looked like when i first picked it up

inside, new carpet is waiting to go in. i dont have the gold cosworth dash, so i dont know what number the car was.

needs a bit of patching

i pulled the front end apart week ago, and as bad as looks, i didnt strip a single bolt, even the sway bar end links came off no problem. and the vintage kyb shocks feel good as new. i got a set of s10 spindles and brakes ready as soon my adapters show up.

any one got ideas for the rear end, its going to need 5lug and a brake upgrade too?

new wheels vs old wheels, right now the new tires are 245/50/16's, i'll see what it looks like, but i think a lower slimmer tire is going to be needed.

i originally picked up a early 60's 283 but then i found it had a cast crank, so plans moved on when this deal came up

4bolt main 010 block, supposedly fresh from the machine shop, but its sat for some time and needs some bore clean up.

forged 350 crank pn#1182

some flat top pistons and lt4 PM rods, with arp bolts. im kinda worried about that heat marking on the rods, is it normal?

tot end is some vortec 062 heads with a set of stainless roller rockers.
Freetard

Re: 75 cosworth, going to a v8

Postby Freetard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

i dropped my block and crank off at the machine shop today, cranks getting ground, and cam bearings pressed in.
Freetard

Postby Smiley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:37 am

Do you have guideplates on the vortec heads ? in stock form they need self aligning rockers.
Smiley

Postby Dburger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:09 pm

New wheels look like Enkei 92's
H-bodyless
Dburger

Postby dadhad1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Sounds like a fun project.
I did the same thing.

Are you sure it's a real CW?
It doesn't have the milled gold dash cluster cover plate and also no CW series # emblem above radio.
Did you verify the VIN?

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Return to Project Journals