I recently purchased a '73 Vega GT wagon

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

I recently purchased a '73 Vega GT wagon

Postby Panic Button » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Hell-o all,

I’m new here, just registered today because I recently bought a ’73 Vega GT v8 wagon. Just a little history, I will try to be brief so please bear with me.

My first Vega was a ’72 GT wagon which I bought when it was six month old (40 years ago). I dropped in a Chevy 350, turbo 400, narrowed 10 bolt rear end, it was the second v8 Vega in Washington State. I sold it long ago but it had been my favorite car of all times over the years and I’ve always wanted it back or another GT wagon.

I had a life changing experience in 2010 so I decided to get back into hot rod cars since I’d been away from them for over 35 years. My first thought was to do another v8 Vega GT wagon, but after much searching, I couldn’t find one in good enough shape. I’m not a fabricator or welder, so I need something that’s nice to start with and we all know how difficult that can be with Vegas. I gave up the idea of doing another Vega and instead did an LS1 into a ’92 Miata. Now my old ’72 Vega is my second most favorite car I’ve owned, lol! The Miata was nick named Panic Button after its first test drive, hence my user name.

November 2013 a ’73 GT wagon came up for sale and after much pondering I broke down and bought it. I really didn’t need a second toy as I only have a two car garage and now have three cars. I’d been thinking about my ’72 wagon all these years and wishing I had it back. This ’73 is in such excellent condition, no rust, new paint, race ready, (which I don’t do) so I just couldn’t pass it up.

There are several things I want to change on this car to make it more street friendly and power steering is one thing I just got through adding. This car was so hard to steer with the stock manual steering box, it had to go. Actually the stock box was wasted because of the extra weight and needed replacing anyway. Even back 40 years ago, I added power steering to my ’72 and it’s a difference between night and day on ease of steering.

I need to replace the rear springs as the car sits much lower on the drivers side than it does on the passenger side and the tire is almost rubbing the fender. I was told it was setup this way for drag racing. I want it sitting level in the back, so I will be pulling the springs out to see if I can ID them. It rides just right on the passenger side, so I hope I can ID that one and buy a new pair.

I need to get interior parts, sun visors are gone, there is no headliner or dome light (image that, a Vega with no headliner). I have no idea what to do about the headliner, will have to do some searching on that subject. It has a roll cage, so that will make it difficult to deal with.

At some point in time, I’d like to install an LS drive train like I did with my Miata. My Miata is such a dream to drive with the LS1, you just get in, turn the key, put it in "D" for dummy and drive off, no fussing around. That’s the way my ’72 was, just get in, turn the key, drive off. This ’73 is such an animal, it takes almost five minutes of fussing around before you can drive off, kind of a pain in the back side.

If you made it this far, hope I didn’t bore you too much and I’m sure I will be visiting this forum looking for parts, advice, etc., regularly. I do have some online photos I’ve posted for my friends that wanted to be kept in the loop in case anyone is interested. https://picasaweb.google.com/1016908821 ... redirect=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current toys:
1973 Chevy Vega GT wagon, Chevy 355, 550+HP, Chevy turbo-350 manual shift trans, narrowed Chevy 12 bolt rear end.

1992 Mazda Miata, LS1, 350 HP, Chevy 4L65E trans, Ford 7.5 IRS rear end.

Long ago (40 years) but not forgotten toys:
1972 Chevy Vega GT wagon (bought it when it was six months old!) Chevy 350, Chevy turbo-400, narrowed Chevy 10 bolt rear end. It was the second v8 Vega in Washington.

1967 VW bug, mid engine Chevy 327, Corvair four speed manual transaxle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016908821 ... redirect=1
Panic Button

Re: I recently purchased a '73 Vega GT wagon

Postby T-FATTY » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm

That's a great looking wagon, what wheels are those?
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby waybad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:50 pm

glad you have your new toy!!

we need videos!! :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby Panic Button » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:29 pm

T-FATTY wrote:That's a great looking wagon, what wheels are those?

I assume you are asking about the black '73? Those are Champion Speed Series, C1 Beadlock, 15x8 with a 4" backspace rear, 15x3.5 front. Just in case you are asking about the gold '72, those are Ansen Sprints, 13x7 rear, 13x6 front if I recall correctly, that was a long time ago.
Current toys:
1973 Chevy Vega GT wagon, Chevy 355, 550+HP, Chevy turbo-350 manual shift trans, narrowed Chevy 12 bolt rear end.

1972 Chevy Vega GT wagon (bought it when it was six months old!) Chevy 350, Chevy turbo-400, narrowed Chevy 10 bolt rear end. It was the second v8 Vega in Washington.

Panic Button

Postby vegastre » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:16 pm

I had a life changing experience in 2010 so I decided to get back into hot rod cars since I’d been away from them for over 35 years.

Wow,
Nostalgia has hit you hard, welcome back to Hot Rodding =) The Miata is a beast and the Vega on the other hand you will find is a bit temperamental in race form. Heck, a stock Vega is temperamental after all these years. Just goes with the territory.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Welcome aboard! Mid Engine Bug LS Miata, and a 550HP Vega Wagon, Money can't buy happiness my @$$, seems to me you found it NO PROBLEM! (or at least our kind of misery) Sweet! Harry :mrgreen:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Panic Button » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 am

vegastre wrote:
I had a life changing experience in 2010 so I decided to get back into hot rod cars since I’d been away from them for over 35 years.

Wow,
Nostalgia has hit you hard, welcome back to Hot Rodding =) The Miata is a beast and the Vega on the other hand you will find is a bit temperamental in race form. Heck, a stock Vega is temperamental after all these years. Just goes with the territory.

Yes it did along with a dose of reality. I really missed not having a fun street car all these years and I'm glad I've gotten back into the swing of things. My Miata is at my buddies body shop getting a complete face lift from bumper to bumper, hope to get it back in the next month or two. I hope to have both cars ready for the up and coming car show season this year. Since I got the Miata together in 2011, I've had a blast with it at all the local car shows and gatherings.
Current toys:

Panic Button

Postby Panic Button » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:52 am

Monza Harry wrote:Welcome aboard! Mid Engine Bug LS Miata, and a 550HP Vega Wagon, Money can't buy happiness my @$$, seems to me you found it NO PROBLEM! (or at least our kind of misery) Sweet! Harry :mrgreen:

Thanks for the "Welcome aboard" glad to be here. I hope to find some good information during my work on the black '73 wagon, there seems to be plenty of talented people here. Some times money can buy happiness, it just takes lots of it.
Current toys:

Panic Button

Postby Panic Button » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:33 am

Update: I pulled the rear springs and didn't find what I expected. I thought I would find two different springs or the left side spring cut, but they both look the same to me and untouched. Not sure why the left side sits so low compared to the right, maybe the left spring is just worn out from too much racing. I was told the car was setup this way, but I'm thinking that's misinformation now.

After some searching on this site, it seems the Moog 6377 is almost identical in specs to the ones I just pulled out, maybe they are Moog 6637. I think I might order a pair and see what happens and I need to find new cushions for both sides too, these are wasted. Not sure where to find those, will have to do some searching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current toys:

Panic Button

Postby zeke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 am

Hi Panic and welcome eh!

Vega wagons just look so good in black for some reason! 8)

Same story for me, had one, then other cars, had nothing for a while and then got a replacement. I also am building a car I can jump in any time of the year and drive across the country without headaches. Buddy of mine had a sbc Miata he regretted selling.

Money can not buy happiness, but it can buy her sister Joy! :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby megavega » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:09 pm

That black wagon is sweet, post more pics of it. :th: :D
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Panic Button » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 pm

megavega wrote:That black wagon is sweet, post more pics of it. :th: :D

Here are a few I took right after I bought it. Since then I've added power steering, cleaned up the battery cables/wiring and added a on/off switch for the negative cable. Now I'm working on the rear springs and trying to make the back sit level. Then I will change out the very old B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter for one that only needs one hand to get into reverse and park rather than two, maybe a new B&M Quicksilver. Then maybe get the windows tinted, then..... Crap it never ends does it?!
Current toys:

Panic Button

Postby BadBowtie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:51 pm

A lot of stuff going on in that engine compartment, wow! The car looks awesome, black is sinister! Did you use a factory style power steering setup or aftermarket?
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby megavega » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am

whoa, thats a serious nitrous system and ign system. :shock:

I assume someone was running this car at the drag strip before and your converting it to street use? did the previous owner tell you what the differnt stages of nitrous were?, looks like a 2 stage set up.

very nice car, nice paint, love the wheels on it, your gonna have a awesome ride there.................... :th:
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby RamIt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Beautiful car!

Someone say nitrous?

Next

Return to Project Journals