'72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

'72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Postby b_pappy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi all.
Well, a long time ago my wife and I had a few Vega's, including an "ok" 383 wagon. It wasn't great, but it was nice enough, and a ton of fun.
Well, our son is grown, I'm not getting any younger, and we have had some of the cars I've always wanted.
My buddy just opened a shop and we thought him having a project car would help us all.
That started the search for my Vega. My wife and I are partial to long roofs anyhow. After looking at too many other peoples aborted projects we decided to start fresh. Eventually I found my '72 wagon. We drug it home from Arizona and started the mod. I kind of wanted to build a stock appearing Vega, using GM parts wherever I could, plus better parts where I thought they were warranted.
Here it is after we unloaded it from Arizona.
It is all stock, and very rust free, so it looks like a good jumping in spot. I hope the finished product is much better than our old one.
Last edited by b_pappy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b_pappy

Re: '72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Postby b_pappy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:30 pm

I started collecting parts. Some from people here on the forum, and some new parts.
Eventually I went with AJE Racing front control arms and coilovers. Out back I bought Spohn control arms and searched for a rear end. Eventually we found a 10 bolt, with disc brakes from a S-10 ZR2. Turns out those are 2" wider than a stock rear end. For wheels I'm using 1972 Camaro Z-28 wheels, so I knew what width my axle needed to be. I found a great shop to narrow my rear end, and a fab shop transferred all the brackets. It lined up perfect.
I got the Don Hardy kit for engine and trans. I'm not too thrilled with it by today's standards, so probably reworking it some. Headers may be an issue now though. Also getting ready to install Chris Alston sub frame connectors and add a first gen Camaro fuel tank. Wound up with Monroe shocks, because I can't find air shocks.
Those are still the old shocks in back, and an Addco rear sway bar. I don't care for it, so it's going back, or going for sale.
b_pappy

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Wow, very clean Arizona car. I think most Vega's had more rust when they were built than this one does :lol: Seriously, looks like a great project car.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey b_pappy I have looked for air-shocks too, and couldn't find them after getting shot down at "AutoZone". They had them listed on their site after they were "discontinued" so after many hours of searching I found these on "Summit's site" these are with-in 1/4" of all the other shock dimensions from AutoZone/O'Rielly's sites these look to be a larger dia. though, but that product number ring's a bell with me. I need them for clearance on my car to car (or tow) dolly. I will order them soon as the Monza'Que is fast approaching and even quicker is the Quaker Event (I am still foolishly hoping to be able to go). If you grab them first let us know as these don't list any H-Bodies in applications. Anybody else have any numbers or idea's? Harry
Sorry I seem to be doing this a lot lately :dunce: :bang: Harry Again but with the link! http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gab-49152 and the # 49-152
Last edited by Monza Harry on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:36 am

And a clean rear end upgrade! What motor / trans will you be inserting?
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:41 pm

love it!! keep posting pictures!!!
Tinker
waybad

Postby b_pappy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Well it turns out my rear calipers are where my bump stops want to be, so one more adjustment.
I'm planning on the ZZ 383 crate and a 700 R4 trans.
Harry, you didn't post a P/N for the shocks, but if you have it I'll try a set.
Thanks for the nice words and support.
Bruce
b_pappy

rear brakes are overrated anyhow...

Postby b_pappy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow, imagine my surprise when I had the same clearance issues others had. So the rear disc brakes either hit the frame, or the rear springs. We're moving the spring perches inboard.
On the plus side, the rear fits like we measured and everything. So we are making some progress.
b_pappy

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:03 pm

The " Grey Poupon" Wagon is looking good.......................... :th:

For those who dont know............. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Poupon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE First commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzxg66CZ68 Last commercial

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Doug clever inside joke on the little "Mustard Yellow" wagon but "Dijon" mustard isn't yellow! Those commercials are a hoot from the past :lol: and I can't believe they beat those "Rolls" like that, I have wanted one of those for longer than H-Bodies have existed! That car is pretty clean so I would say that Mustard Yellow paint did it's job real well. I have a weakness for wagon's and sedan delivery's/panels, and Vega ones are near the top. I am glued to this build and few others. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Monza Harry wrote: but "Dijon" mustard isn't yellow!

looks the same color to me.............
484px-Grey_Poupon_mustard.jpg

French's is yellow............................. :lol:

Doug in P.R. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Looks pretty Creamy Coloured here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzxg66 ... page#t=119 Look fast, it holds the pic for maybe a second! Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Ok you win ... sort of... Grey Poupon Honey mustard then .......... :lol: http://static.caloriecount.about.com/im ... -71151.jpg

Back to the build...........

Doug in P.R. 8) 8)

HI WINDING MONZA

Postby b_pappy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Yeah, the color is pretty close. I usually describe it as "burnt mustard and baby poo". Regardless, the next color will be different.
b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Making some progress...
Up front the control arms (AJE Racing) and the left side coilover (Viking) is in. It's going pretty well according to plan. Nothing bolts right in, but eventually it will fit.
Out back continues to present challenges. The remaining issue was the coil springs foul the rear calipers. The leading choice was to move the spring perches inboard. I still kind of wanted airshocks too. Note the new Monroe shocks in the pictures. Thanks to Monza Harry, I got a P/N for "possible" airshocks that would work. I ordered them, and comparing them to my old original shocks, the compressed length is about 1 inch longer on the airshocks. Pulling down the new Monroes, they too were also 1 inch longer than original. Based on that, I back tracked the airshock application and found a set of coilovers (QA1) that fit that same applications. I went ahead and ordered the rear coilovers. They too are 1 inch too long (compressed). We're going to try and use them, new bump stops, and beefing the rear mount area. That eliminates the coil spring interference. I'll post up when they fit.
Bruce
b_pappy

Next

Return to Project Journals