'72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: '72 Vega wagon, the hard way

Postby b_pappy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Wow, okay, glad to hear on the front springs. Thanks.
I picked up my 700R4 Friday, and the engine is in work. Might make some progress here.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby HAULIN' IT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Looks like your fab guy did a real nice job! Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby b_pappy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Making some progress...
GM saw fit to discontinue (and recall unsold units) the motor I wanted, so I went with a custom build. 350, 4 bolt main, bored and stroked to 383, forged internals, balanced, aluminum heads, all in all a very nice motor. Trans is a built 700 R4. Have to modify the Kevko oil pan, then hopefully I will post a pic with drivetrain being test fitted.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:18 pm

Wow, finally made some measurable progress. The GT dash is out, having the tach converted and all the gauges rebuilt, should be ready in 2 weeks. Plus we did all the stitch welding in the engine bay and got it painted satin black in there. The engine is ready to drop in. It runs great, the modified oil pan clears and doesn't leak, re did the front seal, it was dripping just a bit. We need to get the proper bolts for the engine mounts, we're using the Don Hardy style. It was getting late so we stopped for the day. Sorry, the pics are still on my phone. Today was a good day, hope we can have a few more like that!
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby 1100kaw2 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 am

Glad to see you back on it. Looking good.
I'm with you on the Building a cheap Vega. cant be done. Or at least, not to my standards.
get us some more pics man
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Postby Bullet » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 am

Very nice build. For info purposes on the ZR2 rear, the ZR2 was unique in S trucks. I also have a ZR rear for my Monza. They are the big ten rear called 8.5" but if I recall, they are actually the HD 8.6" 30 spline. They are not 2" wider than a 2wd rear, they are 4" wider (3.9"). That's why the ZR trucks have the big mud flares. They have enough extra webbing near the yoke to drill through and tap for a modified trailing arm attachment. They almost all came with 3:73 and a posi unless specifically ordered otherwise, not sure if there is a different cali spec, I've never seen it mentioned. Anyway, they are good rear ends for these cars, easy to cut and respline the axles the amount needed for stock width.
Bullet

Postby b_pappy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Making measurable progress. We got the heater core (found a NOS core) flipped around, and the shock towers stitch welded. So we dropped the motor and trans in. I'm using the Don Hardy mounts and headers.
I also bought a GT dash and had the gauges rebuilt.
The Edelbrock valve covers are just for during the build, final covers will be from PML.
Now it goes back to the fabricator to do the headers and exhaust system, driveshaft, and steering shaft. He'll probably pick a few other things up too.
A few pics:
b_pappy

Postby b_pappy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Well made some great progress, with pictures even. I pieced together a nice GT dash, then had all the gauges rebuilt. We have the engine and trans in. The Don Hardy headers didn't fit without some modification, plus since I'm not running side pipes we moved the collector forward.
All the stitch welding on the front shock towers is done. The Kevko oil pan has been modified to fit. They told me up front it would need to be cut and welded. The Don Hardy engine mounts had to be altered some too. Basically it's what we all go through. But it's getting close now. I hope we can keep the same speed of progress going now.
b_pappy

Postby Vegabee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:56 am

Looks great.Use to have the Don Hardy Kit also years ago with a 327/Muncie.Used the Moroso pan fit well although kinda low.Mounted a ball and narrowed bell crank with a welded tab across to the other side and rod going through firewall for the clutch with the factory shifter,could hear the rod scrape/screech some when depressed at the firewall,but worked. Like the trunk pan for the tank,looks factory and functional.
Ran bologna pipes straight off the Hardy headers under the doors a couple times at night,boy that was Hell Raising!
Vegabee

Postby b_pappy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Still making progress, although I haven't uploaded pics in a while. The exhaust system is complete all the way back, looks killer. Working on the rear end, mechanic didn't like the feel and took it apart. Had some teeth missing off the diff unit. Since this is a 30 spline S-10 ZR2 diff replacement parts seemed difficult to source. A new Auburn LSD unit was easier. Should be a worlds better unit anyhow. New shortened driveshaft is in. Making new fuel and brake lines is next. Progress is good.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby vegastre » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am

Bruce,
Reading through your somewhat rather short journal doesn't reflect the ton of work, fab, sweat, tears, heartache, joy and money you have expended. One wagon owner to the other I say terrific job mated to a whole lot of dedication and focus. Two thumbs up because my observation over the years Hot Rodding a Vega wears most people out. The rear end I noticed was an experience not easily overlooked in the time and expense account as well as a dozen more expensive modifications. Glad those early days of your youth have come back to haunt you.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby b_pappy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

vegastre wrote:Bruce,
Reading through your somewhat rather short journal doesn't reflect the ton of work, fab, sweat, tears, heartache, joy and money you have expended. One wagon owner to the other I say terrific job mated to a whole lot of dedication and focus. Two thumbs up because my observation over the years Hot Rodding a Vega wears most people out. The rear end I noticed was an experience not easily overlooked in the time and expense account as well as a dozen more expensive modifications. Glad those early days of your youth have come back to haunt you.

Thanks Phil.
Yes, I haven't been posting too much. I am disappointed with how long it is taking, plus, I have a full time job, and a side business, so spare time is sparse.
The Vega has been a challenge, which I knew it would be. When I did my Nomad I just called up Danchuk and got whatever I needed. This site has been a blessing, pointing out pitfalls in advance, plus some great ideas, like the second gen Camaro gas tank. Then I had project specifics, like the Don Hardy mounts and headers. Then the wife added her requests; power steering. She has since back off from A/C when I pointed out how infrequently we used in any of the other hot rods.
Then there are always new challenges, like the burnt wire harness we just discovered this weekend. Or the bad differential. Had some stripped teeth on the LSD. That was an easy fix, I just bought a Auburn unit, but back sliding on progress.
I just hope it is worth it when all done. I hope it's not like longing for your first girlfriend. Then you do it, and go, "huh, she wasn't that great."
yeah, a bit dejected this weekend.
No ones fault, and my mechanic is doing a great job. Everything that's been done is the way I want it, and I'm still glad I'm doing it my way.
I am on Instagram and post pictures there occasionally: @Bruce4Adams
My side business is selling Adam's Premium Car Care products.
Anyhow, when there is good progress I'll post up more pics.
b_pappy

Postby vegastre » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 am

yeah, a bit dejected this weekend.

Funny but not so funny,
It's a fairly simple philosophy, if you haven't said that to your self a half dozen times then it's not a real project. For me it usually happens on those cold winter days when staring at the SJ and say to myself, " What the hell were you thinking ". Then it comes to me, it's all about the journey Like I said, a fairly simple philosophy. Not to worry, it's a fine journal.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby LSnotchback » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 am

I really appreciate the good work and documentation. Can you share few more pics where the subframe connectors end in front and rear?
LSnotchback

Postby b_pappy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 pm

well, I haven't given up, but my patience is running short. Sorry I haven't been here for an update, guess I forgot. I am Instagram, at Bruce4Adams. Anyhow, have made some progress, basically we need to finish wiring it, then start sorting the bugs. Hopefully have a more positive update next time I post; whether it's running, or changing shops.
Happy Holidays to all.
Bruce
b_pappy

Previous

Return to Project Journals