1977 kammback wagon project

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1977 kammback wagon project

Postby 1977kammback » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Hello all, I have been following all your builds for years and finally got back to working on mine again. I have changed my mind several times on what engine to use but I think I settled on a big block. I have a question for all tbat have been down this road before. I am running monza v8 non a/c springs and going to buy hooker 2240 headers and get the u-joint for the steering but do I have to remove the blower fan/heater core box or will the engine clear it? I bought a 1969 camaro oil pan and plan on making my own front engine mounts. I think I read every big block post on here but if anyone is kind enough to offer any insight on this build it is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by 1977kammback on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977kammback

Re: big block 1977 kammback wagon project

Postby Smiley » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:15 am

Been there done that,
With the cubic inches you can get in a small block now and good flowing aluminum small block heads and intakes I would not do another big block. I would do a 383 or 427 small block with aluminum heads.
Unless you just want the retro look or to be different its not worth the extra cost,weight and fitment issues.

I had Hooker big block headers on my 72.
heater box had to go.
remote mount oil filter for header clearance
headers come very close to the oil pan in several places
oil would heat up with extended driving so oil cooler for the street
stock steering shaft worked fine (manual non-tilt)
short water pump
mini starter for space and heat soak
relocated radiator forward into core support
big block 62-67 Chevy II oil pan Moroso
Manual brakes
single groove pulleys
mechanical fan with no spacer and electric pusher in front
no filler neck on radiator- inline or intake mount filler
electric fuel pump
LS6 intake for stock hood clearance
drop base air cleaner
Big Block front mount plates lined up good with the front mount kit frame pads from the previously installed small block.
rear mount battery for weight
TH400 trans requires crossmember moved toward the rear.
Smiley

Postby 1977kammback » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks for the reply Smiley, I actually have a 355 with aluminum zz4 vette heads on an engine stand in the garage next to the 464 and can't seem to make up my mind which way to go. It's just a casual driver and big block would mainly by for looks, I always like doing thingd different. With all those additional issues with the big block I think I'm going back to the small block plan.
1977kammback

Postby chevyart » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:53 am

smiley that wasnt hard to convince kammback which way to go. that long list would have scared off almost anyone. art
chevyart

Postby 1977kammback » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 pm

For sure, I'm thankful for his honesty! Several posts on here talk about how it's easier than the small block swap and everything lines up better. I have a big block begging to go in something but it will wait for the next Chevelle project. I'll figure out how to put pictures on here and show the project so far. I did the s10 front swap and since it's the '77 with the torque arm I narrowed a camaro rear end and used s10 axles to maintain stock width, used a 3.42 with auborn posi. I built a 355 with zz4 corvette heads and a 700r4 transmission, corvette servo and boost valves....it should be a nice driver when done.
1977kammback

Return to Project Journals