1973 Vega project Black and Blue

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1973 Vega project Rerun

Postby avewhtboy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Got the transmission in and drove the car to the muffler shop to get my exhaust sorted out.

Drove about 80 miles in it today and it drove really well. The auto trans that was in it was full race setup
the shifts were way to hard for street driving.

avewhtboy

Postby waybad » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 pm

looks killer!
Tinker
waybad

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:00 pm

waybad wrote:looks killer!

Thanks a lot. It felt good to drive it with a manual transmission get to shift through the gears.
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:10 pm

I found some seats for sale for a really good price that "match" the cars color scheme so I picked those up yesterday for another new addition.

So when I swapped the 5 speed into the car using the third generation Camaro T5 setup (bellhousing and slave cylinder) the slave wants to occupy the same space
as the collector for the Hooker headers on the driver side of the car. I was not happy with having the one tube going through the fenderwell with those headers so
I purchased a set of Sanderson shorty headers and swapped those out with the Hookers. Once that was done I had to re do the exhaust anyway so I decided to go with
some black side pipes so i scrapped the complete exhaust system. At the moment the pipes are open which is a little to loud for me so I will be adding some mufflers
to the side pipes soon.

A couple pictures I took today drove it about another 70 miles today.

avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Oooooh yeah!...... love me some side pipes!
Very cool sound when lumbering through the parking lot.
My old '76 Jeep CJ-5 had side pipes. AMC 304 V8, headers and worn out glass packs under the doors with turn outs. SWEET!
Sucked at interstate speeds, though :lol:
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby avewhtboy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm

bugdewde wrote:Oooooh yeah!...... love me some side pipes!
Very cool sound when lumbering through the parking lot.
My old '76 Jeep CJ-5 had side pipes. AMC 304 V8, headers and worn out glass packs under the doors with turn outs. SWEET!
Sucked at interstate speeds, though :lol:

At the moment they are wide open so really loud.

I hope to have this at an autocross soon, wheres that turbo TA at????
avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 pm

avewhtboy wrote:........ wheres that turbo TA at????

Sadly, sitting in the garage... out of action. Trans won't shift out of 1st. Hoping modulator or governor is bad.
If not, I've already purchased an ultra-rare, '79-only, 301 manual flywheel.
Already acquired clutch pedal set up, Z-bar linkage, bellhousing, etc....... probably do a manual trans swap.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby dualtech62 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:38 pm

At first look I wasn't sure I liked the big wheel look of your vega, but the more I look at it the more I like it. Thank you for being different! :th:
dualtech62

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:57 pm

dualtech62 wrote:At first look I wasn't sure I liked the big wheel look of your vega, but the more I look at it the more I like it. Thank you for being different! :th:

I am glad you like it, I know it's far different then having drag skinnies or even 15 inch wheels. We build and drive these cars to please our selves if some one else likes it
that's a bonus is the way I see it.

The car was not streetable as purchased now it is fun to drive so I am happy with the wheels and tires and the transmission swap and the coil overs and the brakes etc.

Once i get the front end aligned it will be even better!
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:01 pm

bugdewde wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:........ wheres that turbo TA at????

Sadly, sitting in the garage... out of action. Trans won't shift out of 1st. Hoping modulator or governor is bad.
If not, I've already purchased an ultra-rare, '79-only, 301 manual flywheel.
Already acquired clutch pedal set up, Z-bar linkage, bellhousing, etc....... probably do a manual trans swap.

You know a T5 would probably live fine behind that motor and would be alot easier to install not to mention cheaper than a six speed and more useful
than a four speed.
avewhtboy

Postby bugdewde » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:23 pm

avewhtboy wrote:
You know a T5 would probably live fine behind that motor and would be alot easier to install not to mention cheaper than a six speed and more useful
than a four speed.

Yep... I have one for the Vega Wagon autocrosser project that has stalled. Tweaked frame rail/unibody.
Might just try it. Got the trans cheap. It's a Non-world class from a V8 with the 0.63 OD. Might be cool to try.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree about building it for yourself. That's what matters, especially if you have a connection/past with the vehicle (like you do). Not much of a chance of someone else even getting a chance to get it from you...... at least for a while. Right?
This one is for sure, all about you!!!!
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:50 pm

bugdewde wrote:
avewhtboy wrote:
than a four speed.

Yep... I have one for the Vega Wagon autocrosser project that has stalled. Tweaked frame rail/unibody.
Might just try it. Got the trans cheap. It's a Non-world class from a V8 with the 0.63 OD. Might be cool to try.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree about building it for yourself. That's what matters, especially if you have a connection/past with the vehicle (like you do). Not much of a chance of someone else even getting a chance to get it from you...... at least for a while. Right?
This one is for sure, all about you!!!!

I got a decent buy on my T5, it was so cheap I didn't ask about it being a world class or not but once I cleaned it up and ran the numbers it turns out it is a so I got lucky with that.
I can actually drive the car now, with 4.56 rear gears and TH350 before anything over 50mph was really not much fun, highway speeds were not a option. Now at 2500 rpm I am going
70mph so that is really not bad considering the gear in the axle.

I have found several more things that confirm the car was light blue I don't really have any doubts this is my old car so yes it's a keeper, I can't imagine ever selling it.
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:36 am

Went to the local Pull A Part and swiped this axle out of a 1999 Bravado. I wanted a "four wheel drive" rear axle to eliminate
the spacers I am using in the rear.

Also this axle is 3.73 rear gear with the factory posi unit and disc brakes and a rear sway bar I am going to try to use.
Also buy using this axle the brake calipers don't interfere with the rear frame rails since the brake are actually tucked inside the wheel.

avewhtboy

Postby Kenova » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:18 pm

How does the width of the new axle compare to the old one with the spacers installed?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Kenova wrote:How does the width of the new axle compare to the old one with the spacers installed?

Ken

I havent measured but from what i read the four wheel drive axle is 4 inches wider than two wheel drive over all,
two inches per side.

I have the axle in there with the wheels on and no spacers and I would say the wheels are moved in about 1/2 inch
on each side. I was thinking I would need a small spacer, like 1/2 inch but it appears now that they are exactly where
it needs to be.

I mocked it in position and fabbed up some upper control arm brackets and it seems to fit really well.

I will take some more pictures once it's installed so people can see how it fits.

For $200 I got 3.73 posi with rear disk brakes. I hated to remove the Ford 9 inch but it has "issues" so it needs a complete overhaul.
avewhtboy

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals