Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Monzacoupe's Monza Coupe

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 am

I wouldn't think so. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm trying to hook up the shift linkages, I understand the transmission should be in neutral, the shifter in neutral, and the linkage bars moving freely at the mounting points under the shifter AND everything lined up under the shifter. My trouble is that the transmission in NOT in neutral and only the 3/4 lever is moving. Should I get in there with a bit of force to get the other levers out of their locked position or what? Looking for help. I've got the rear tires raised and tried to hand turn the drive shaft but its not budging so I think the tranny is in gear.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, you have to get the trans in neutral to adjust the linkage. I assume this is a stock shifter? Been a long time since I adjusted a stock one ( mine is a Hurst Competition Plus) but the idea is the same. Even with the stock shifter there should be some place to install a pin to lock the shifter in neutral, then with the trans in neutral you adjust the rods to just slip into the shift arms. Then pull the pin out of the shifter. How were your 3 mounting bushings for the shifter mounting plate? Those are usually shot and those need to be in good shape to allow the shifter to work right. I have them if needed. You should be able to get a large cresent wrench on the shift arms to get the trans in neutral. I assume you checked the shifting action on the bench before you installed the trans? If it feels like it is stuck you may want to try and rock the car a little (carefully) to release any pressure that might be on the gears.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142311051998?ss ... 1555.l2649
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 pm

The struggle continues!!! While hooking the transmission back up, I bumped it into gear, so I hooked up the 1-2 shift linkage back up thinking it was it gear. Went to the shifter and gave it a GOOD tug to get it out of gear...and boom out it comes, or so I thought! Broke the linkage bar! So off I go to 4 transmission shops, 3 wrecking yards and no one has an old saginaw anywhere! Got a chunk if steel from a shop and got to work building another. Great way to spend a day off work I guess! The one good thing to come from this is that I was told that it was probably cracked prior to me reefing on it and it may have broken while driving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 am

Wow, if I remember correctly those arms are hardened, never saw one break. So did you get the trans in neutral before it broke?
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

Nope, it turned out that it was in reverse!! All is good now.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Transmission is back in working order! I finally found the gauge holes that I was told about! Not too easy to find! Locked everything in place, adjusted, around the wheels went! In the correct direction!!! On to bodywork! If I only knew where to start!

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Going to start by removing side marker lights, tail lights, front clip and such then was going to take the chrome window trim off front and back then tape up the glass for protection. My question is this...are the trim clips reusable and if not are the readily available?

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 pm

The trim clips around the window are reusable if they are not broke or missing. If you need replacements give me a jingle.........I'll see what I can do.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Gotta love the smell of Bondo in the morning! Two things I thought of today... first, is this the correct screw to use for the door sill plates? Can anyone send me a picture of the correct one if it's not? Second, is the window trim around the rear quarter windows attached the same way as the front and rear windshields?

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Lots done since my last post...tomorrow is the BIG DAY! Painting time!!! Hood, trunk lid, doors and front fenders are hung and waiting for the final clean and then prime and paint. The car is in the driveway, now under a tarp. Will probably paint it on Sunday.

Hope this goes well!!!

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 pm

not going great...I suck at painting!
monzacoupe

Postby sportriderok » Tue May 30, 2017 10:14 am

You got this... just get it done. You can always fix it later.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Postby monzacoupe » Tue May 30, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks!!
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 pm

So...last night was spent tossing and turning without sleep worrying about how much paint I'm wasting, how expensive it is and how badly I'm doing on the job. Woke up this morning with a message of encouragement from across the internet and a fresh look at the runs I made last night. Well the words really made my day and the sandpaper took care of the runs, so on to the rear quarter section and roof. Thanks Sportriderok.

Rick
monzacoupe

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals