75 Monza Drag Car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

75 Monza Drag Car

Postby Choppachris » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Just picked up a '75 Monza to run at the local drag strip. It's an older build that hasn't been ran on the track in a long time. It has a 350 with 10:1 compression, .510 lift cam, Trick Flow heads, narrowed Dana 60 with Strange axles, tires are 31x13-15. 10 point cage, and everything looks to be track compliant except for the old tires and expired belts. It runs great, stays pretty cool, hangs around 180. It has front and rear line locks, but the front stuck on us pretty good the first time.. sticky valve. The drivers door sagged pretty bad, yanked that off today and welded up some tears in the door, and installed new bushings in the top side.. bottom was fine so didnt mess with it. The only thing bothering me is the car sits higher on the passenger side, and after a little crawling around I found that the crossmember is bent on that side.. I found one online for a '79, not sure if itll interchange but I didnt want to pass it up for the price..

Choppachris

Re: 75 Monza Drag Car

Postby Choppachris » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Choppachris

Postby johnk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:48 am

Nice :th:
John K
johnk

Postby 1975monza2+2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm

That's an awesome Monza! Perfect for bracket racing. I want to see a picture of a burnout when you go to the track. I'm guessing you will be running at least 11's on the motor. Maybe high 10's. Have fun!
1975monza2+2

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Choppachris » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks guys! I'll post a video for sure when we finally get to run it. I just received the crossmember that I had ordered, it's out of a '79 but looks like it will fit nicely. It is much beefier than the one that's in the car now, I like that. I also just received my new tires today, new 14" rubber for the front, and a set of new Hoosier 31x14-15s for the rear. If I can get everything done this week, i'll try to get it to the track this Saturday. Also got a piece of Lexan to redo the rear window. The original glass was missing when we got the car, so we tried to make one out of some plexi-glass from Home Depot.. As you can see in the pics above it didn't work too well, it cracked when trying to cut it, and also with the drill. The previous owner said he was running low 11's to high 10's, but self described himself as a "novice" and has only ran it a handful of times. This will be my first experience drag racing, so I expect to run slow for a while until I get the hang of things.
Choppachris

Postby Choppachris » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I can see now on the replacement crossmember that the lower control arm does not bolt through it, and I may have more damaged than I initially thought. I'll have to wait and see how it looks when I get everything torn apart, but I am thinking the lower control arm bracket may be bent also. The crossmember that is in it now is noticeably bent upward on the passenger side, and I believe this has something to do with the car not sitting level. (Sits higher on the passenger side by about 2"). I cannot seem to find any good pics of the body where the control arm bolts to, if anyone has a good shot of this area please share.
Choppachris

Postby Badsunbird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:15 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not, but on pages 4 and 5 of my project journal I have pictures of my front end and the lower control arm mounting brackets on the frame. Take a look, I hope this may be some help to you.
79 Pontiac Sunbird
79 Chevy Monza
75 Pontiac Astre GT #00002

"Bigger Than Some & Stronger Than Most"
Badsunbird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Return to Project Journals