75 Cosworth V8

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

75 Cosworth V8

Postby evilcactuar » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Hey guys,
I’ve been on here quite some time. I haven’t posted much, and I haven’t made much progress. My stepfather bought me a 75 cosworth with a v8 conversion when I was 16. We restored it, he repainted it black, and we drove it home from the shop. My mother was waiting out on the front porch, since she heard some obnoxiously loud vehicle from the corner (8 houses down), and wanted to see what it was. Then we pulled in the driveway. Apparently, certain details of the vehicle were withheld from my mother, namely, the drivetrain. Some words were exchanged, and the car was parked in a garage somewhere else for 15 or so years. Fast forward, my mother and stepfather divorce, the car disappears. A year or two later, I buy myself a 73 vega (which I drove way too far, and paid way too much for), to replace it. The car is a little outrageous, fuel cel, door bars, gutted interior, flat black, huge slicks, the whole nine. I figure I’ll swap the tires and register it. About a month after I pick that car up, my stepfather calls me. He says “if you want your car, come pick it up”. Quick call to a buddy with a car trailer, and later that evening I’ve got two vegas at the house. The car was stored outside in a field for a couple years apparently. I’ve got some “challenges” with the spare tire well, fronts of both sides of the floor, and the driver rear wheel well (where it meets the trunk). The entire undercarriage is rusty, but solid aside from the areas already mentioned. That was about 8 years ago. The Drag car has been sitting in the garage. The 75 has been in the driveway. I started tearing it down (took out the wet, ratty carpet, etc., so it hasn’t further deteriorated, but certainly hasn’t improved any. The paint was all checked on the roof, and starting to rust, so I’ve given it minimal attention to stop that from advancing. I’d like to get down to a single vega, and just build it into a quick street car (with a back seat, as I’ve got a family now).

While it’s probably not the rational choice, I’m keeping the 75. I’d like to swap over the front end off the 73, since I really prefer that look. I’m planning to do something with the rear tail lights, I really prefer the 71 camaro, 72 cuda, etc look, though I’m not sure that will ever materialize. Also, those cuda lights are crazy expensive, but I digress. The car was running well, shifting pretty well. No grinding, etc. It was leaking from everywhere. So I’m thinking fresh gaskets / hoses / belts / brake lines everywhere. I was considering having the whole car soda blasted, or some similar method of getting all the remaining paint and surface rust off.

And finally, we’ve been house shopping, so this will be a slow moving project. Both from a time and money standpoint. Not poor, just throwing every spare dollar into a pile to put down on the house. Apologies in advance. I’m more looking to lock down the task list and basic approach, I’m probably not going to get a whole lot done any time soon. I had planned on some of the overkill pieces, but emails to Justin go unanswered, so I imagine I won’t be enjoying any of his handiwork. That said, I’ll probably buy the one off pieces sooner than later, so they don’t go extinct on me again.
I’ve assembled a laundry list, I’d welcome feedback:

C5 Calipers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-C5-Z06 ... 7t&vxp=mtr
$250
C5 slotted powerstop 12.75 rotors and pads- already got ~150

C5 abutment bracket 12455799 http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/12455799 $88
C5 Pin
S10 Spindle $90 junkyard (83-97?) or Drop spindles http://www.summitracing.com/parts/djm-d ... plications $155 . It sounded like, from my research, your front end is basically touching the ground with the drop spindles. If you’re talking 3 or 4 inches of clearance, I’m interested. If you’re talking kissing the ground, the roads around here aren’t good enough for that.

Flynbye adapters for C5 brakes http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i239.html $255 or Krypton adapters if running drop spindles http://www.krfabs.com/product_detail.php?productID=4, though that says it takes a 13.1 rotor. Heard great things about Kore3, but they 1. Look a little on the pricier side, 2. Don’t list anything for our application. If anyone knows that to be inaccurate, please let me know.
Also need new bearings, Braided brake lines, and maybe a dust cap.
AJE tubular upper and lower non adjustable control arms (for coil overs).
Shockwave coil overs (or, preferably, some less expensive alternative to those)
Rocket 17x7 3.5 backspace booster wheel (subject to fine tuning, just ordered a wheelrite)

Rear
Rocket 17x8 booster 4 backspace booster wheel
235/45R17 Nitto NT05 Drag radials
Slam specialties airbags
I’d love to have quick performance build me a fabricated 9 inch rear.
Would need to figure something out for the upper arm of the 3 link

Other
Jegs 3 inch x pipe and exhaust pipe
Subframe connectors – probably just some tubing and notch the floor where necessary
It’s got what I believe to be the original 4 speed, a 350 built in the 70’s with fuelie double hump heads, and the 7.5 rear. It’s fast, up to about 90. Then It’s just loud as hell and topped out.
I really like the mod one of you guys did for the fog lamps in place of the blinkers
Led lights everywhere
Hooker 3 piece headers (how do you guys seal these when they’re put together?)
Be cool radiator, electric fan
Probably get a custom flossy shift knob (more a note for myself) http://www.shopflossy.com/collections/s ... avy-weight
I’m thinking Carbon fiber door panels and gauge panel
External transmission and oil coolers, electric fans
Undecided on motor mounts (have the factory mounts in one car, as well as a set that mount up high in the front, I believe trans dapt). Would also consider a plate, though I imagine my wife would appreciate the ride none too much after that was installed.
Picked up biggest swaybars I could get front and rear from PST. Also got lower rear control arms with swaybar mounts a while back.
There are piles of parts everywhere. I know that’s not really relevant at all. It’s just the truth.
I would really love if I could get the overkill k member with the rack and pinion steering
I would also really love air conditioning. I live in Connecticut, and have severe allergies. Lack of air conditioning would severely limit my enjoyment upon completion. I know, I know. $$
I’d like to do something for a spoiler, just cause I like them. I don’t want the standard fiberglass spoiler everyone else has. My 73 has it, it’s just not to my taste. I did see some badass aluminum race spoilers someone was making on ebay, but they look to stick off the back (rearward, hanging over the taillights) about a foot, so it’s a little too big. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Vega-71-7 ... 1899537429 I’m understanding of the fact that it’s purely cosmetic, so that seems like a bit much (again, to me. To each their own). I was thinking maybe just one of those small urethane lip spoilers like on a late model bmw or something along those lines. Maybe something like this https://www.ecstuning.com/ES252086/?gcl ... hgodaacIYA .
I was also playing with the idea of making some molds and trying to build some carbon fiber parts. That would be down the road, and likely wrought with disaster (and burning of money). But I’ll likely try it at some point regardless.
Some racing seats in the front, probably some generic recaro’s, jegs brand or something
I’m a big fan of flat paint and racing stripes. Was originally thinking black, like the 73, but I’m leaning more towards a grey or a blue now. Not really sure. Also, big fan of old school pinstriping. Who knows what I’ll end up with by the time the car is actually finished.

I was thinking a larger gas tank, with a rear filler I could put up behind the license plate, with a little flip down door like my old caprice used to have. I was actually also looking at a caprice fuel tank, I believe it was 22 gallons. I would eliminate the spare tire well (since it’s rotted anyway), and just make the floor flat (a little bead rolling, but basically flat all the way across), mount the tank in the middle, and run the dual exhaust around it.
I’ve got a Hobart 180 mig, but no skill with its operation. Also, garage space is at a premium here, so I can’t move the car in and out of the garage. Basically no fabrication skills here. Gotta learn when I’ve got some time!

I know, it’s a long, rambling post. I know there aren’t any pictures. I know its an ambitious, reasonably expensive proposal. But this is the rough gameplan. I’d love to hear any feedback, especially on any pieces I’ve really called into question. Pretty much anything except swapping the nose, cause that’s happening. Or selling the 75.
evilcactuar

Re: 75 Cosworth V8

Postby bbcowboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:15 pm

If you are thinking about a bigger gas tank and with the filler neck behind the plate.. you might want to look at the early Mustang tank...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi evilcactuar. There are a few builds on here with the mods you are thinking about, but they were a while back so my "awesome,,,, but a little short" memory doesn't recall who's they were. :bang: So if you keep up the research you have obviously been doing You have been here for awhile as well you will find remember the ones you need. I believe Bad Bow Tie is one with your tail light and larger tank mods you wish to do. viewtopic.php?t=30039 only 21 pages of reading You should enjoy it I did (I did it a little at a time though, I found mention of his tank mod but the site wouldn't let me keep searching) Also here is a link to Rick Racers post on a similar brake conversion to your wish list. http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17842 the warning is from the old "Dial Up Days" this is the build up of the 11.xx" rotors, but looks pretty similar and his is on his S10 truck so it should be a pretty easy deal for your spindle swap, rear calipers will likely require some re-clocking to eliminate the interference or Drums. While at a car show this weekend past there was a car painted a med blue that looked like it was anodized, probably HOK paint, they have some wild stuff, that would add some pop and your flat/satin/? colour sheen. Good Luck and "Share" your progress PLZ. I hope this gives you some additional direction/clarification and Inspiration. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby evilcactuar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Byron, agreed, I had down to get measurements for the caprice tank, an early Camaro tank, or a post 66 mustang tank. The mustang tank design probably would be simpler to get in there.
evilcactuar

Postby Smiley » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:11 pm

67-68 Camaro tank for above the bumper, 69 for below the bumper.
Smiley

Postby bbcowboy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Using the 66 Mustang tank was easy to install....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byron

Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

Postby evilcactuar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Screw the gas tank! Holy crap, that is one sexy rear! Did you have to remove the whole car to install it though?
evilcactuar

Postby waybad » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:33 am

Excellent build!! we need more pictures :th: :th: :th: :th: :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby bbcowboy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:39 am

The whole floor was removed....
Byron

Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

Postby waybad » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:19 pm

VERY NICE WORK!!! :th: :th: :D
Tinker
waybad

Return to Project Journals