1976 Sunbird Funbird

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1976 Sunbird Funbird

Postby shortchevy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Well I have been without an hbody for about 2 years now. My last was a 76 vega wagon that I put a mildly build 355 in with a manual trans. I know everyone wants to have more power and have a lower e.t. And make more noise and all that jazz, but I feel like putting the sbc in the vega killed the small car charm of the hbody. This time around I am doing it much differently, I picked up a 76 sunbird that was apparently used as a daily driver. I bought it with the intentions of pulling the motor so I wasn't too heart broken when it overheated and started to smoke shortly after the purchase.
Here is the big kicker, I picked up a donor vehicle, a 1998 gmc Sonoma with a 2.2 and a 4l60e trans. I have always liked the charm of a ~100hp car on 13" tires. Enough power to do the job but it will take all day to do it. I pulled the old tired drivetrain out of the bird on Sunday and then did the same to the Sonoma yesterday. Today I stripped the motor down and got it ready for the first test fit which will hopefully take place tomorrow. I'm new to posting from my iPad so I wil try to keep the thread updated and pictures up for all those interested.
shortchevy

Re: 1976 Sunbird Funbird

Postby monzacoupe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm

Sounds like a great project, pictures are worth 1000 word though!

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 am

Awesome! I love the unconventional swaps AND I am a 76 Sunbird guy too! Pictures!! :th:
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby shortchevy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Alright, I was able to get some pictures today. I'm doing this all from a tablet and I am not a tech-savvy person so it took some work to figure it all out. I think I got it now though.

Here is a quick progress report, I pulled the motor out of the sunbird on Sunday, pressure washed the engine compartment, and pushed it aside.

Monday after work I pulled the motor out of the Sonoma, this was far less enjoyable. I ended up doing it by myself and I ended up puking atf all over everything since there was no one to spot the pan. But alas, the motor is out and on a handy furniture mover.

Tuesday I spent some time cleaning the garage and carefully dissecting the motor, removing the accessories and wiring.

I will post some pictures shortly, I'll post them in a seperate post just so I don't lose all my text if I mess up
shortchevy

Postby shortchevy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:49 pm

shortchevy

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Short Chevy Glad you decided to share your "Voyage" with us, there are many here that share your 4 Banger mentality/enthusiasim! So you will fit right in I am sure. Do some searches here and you will [eventually] find a couple of threads on your current pursuit, I believe one was an ad (Craigslist?) that was for sale and the board had a somewhat lengthy discussion about the car [favourable I might point out] and there was someone that had discussed the Cobalt SS swap, NOW that sounds like a winner to me! You could start out with your Naturally Aspirated version and consider more Punch if you become less excited as time goes by, you get to maintain the bias/balance of your little car, and you can choose how big the dogs are you want to run with! A 300HP (all aluminum unlike the original) 4 banger will be a blast in that 'Bird and so Unassuming you will surprise the bejebers out of many a muscle car! Thanx again for sharing. Harry P.S. Nice start to your project, Looks Pretty Clean. :th:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Love it! Nice to see an intact original gas cap too! :lol: Looks like a pretty clean car. Couple spots but nothing horrible that I can see.

What are your plans to reconnect the torque arm?

I still want someone to do a swap with the new 323hp Camaro V6.
RedFiveKBS

Postby shortchevy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Hey Harry I have seen a couple of those threads and I love the idea until everyone starts chasing power figures. Call me uncool but 120 hp with 13" tires is just perfect. If I want to go fast I'll buy a crotch rocket. My '76 wagon seemed to lose all its "small car charm" as soon as I shoved a built 355 in it, all the sudden it was a race car or a street machine or a performance vehicle, all I'm looking for is a reliable little car that is simple, easy to work on, and is a little different.... All that said I'm sure the day will come that the "turbo" word is thrown out there but one thing at a time.

RedFiveKBS wrote:Love it! Nice to see an intact original gas cap too! :lol: Looks like a pretty clean car. Couple spots but nothing horrible that I can see.

What are your plans to reconnect the torque arm?

I still want someone to do a swap with the new 323hp Camaro V6.

Very clean little car, it was under coated when new only real rust is the inside of the drivers door and a quarter sized hole in the trunk. Both easy fixes. As far as the torque arm goes I am going to make a bracket that indexes off of the tailshaft housing, still a work in progress, I Have to pick up some materials before I can get started on that though
shortchevy

Postby Vegavulture » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 am

she's a beauty
1977 Pontiac Astre Safari V6
1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula V8
Vegavulture

1977 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby Kenova » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am

shortchevy wrote:......... As far as the torque arm goes I am going to make a bracket that indexes off of the tailshaft housing, still a work in progress,..........

Looking for something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

It is meant for 3rd Gen F-bodies but at least it would cut down on the amount of fabrication. You would just need to change the end of your torque arm.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby shortchevy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Kenova wrote:
shortchevy wrote:......... As far as the torque arm goes I am going to make a bracket that indexes off of the tailshaft housing, still a work in progress,..........

Looking for something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

It is meant for 3rd Gen F-bodies but at least it would cut down on the amount of fabrication. You would just need to change the end of your torque arm.

Ken

That's pretty much what I have in mind, that particular one is for a th350 and I'm going with a 4l60e. I could prolly find one that would work but I'm more of a welding kinda guy not a search the Internet kind of guy. It will prolly take me less time to make one than to find one and hopefully I can build it so I don't have to modify my torque arm.

Update for today. Threw some paint on the motor and pulled the valve cover to see how nasty the motor is. I was extremely pleased when I saw under the cover, looks like the previous owner knew how to change oil!

shortchevy

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:56 pm

If you are going 4L60E [700R4's younger brother] than you should be able to find a tail shaft for your tranny, I believe some years of those [700R4/4L6X(E)] interchange, this is to allow for a torque arm to e bolted up to a non-torque arm tranny, not everybody knows that the THM350 was available with a torque arm mount I also believe the '82 F-Body was available with a THM350 so that would have the correct attachment points for the newer style T/Arm. If you decide you want to chase that mount Ken linked to here [that isn't available right now by their page] this company had one on it's shelf about 8mos. ago: http://www.westsideperformanceplus.com/ (in Canada) Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Looking awesome!
RedFiveKBS

Postby shortchevy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Monza Harry wrote:If you are going 4L60E [700R4's younger brother] than you should be able to find a tail shaft for your tranny, I believe some years of those [700R4/4L6X(E)] interchange, this is to allow for a torque arm to e bolted up to a non-torque arm tranny, not everybody knows that the THM350 was available with a torque arm mount I also believe the '82 F-Body was available with a THM350 so that would have the correct attachment points for the newer style T/Arm. If you decide you want to chase that mount Ken linked to here [that isn't available right now by their page] this company had one on it's shelf about 8mos. ago: http://www.westsideperformanceplus.com/ (in Canada) Harry

My 4l60e is a later model unit with the 6 bolt tailshaft housing, early 4l60e's have the traditional 4 bolt pattern but after the reign of the 1st gen small block they went to a 6 bolt. They make adapters to run a 4 bolt housing but they get pricey. It shouldn't be hard to fab up a bracket. I do still have the original motor/trans from the sunbird so I do have a tailshaft housing. The thought even crossed my mind to cut the attachment point off of the original and weld it to the 4l60e tailshaft housing, i think before I decide how I'm going to tackle this I'm going to have to set the motor in the car and see where I'm at. That will hopefully happen tomorrow or Saturday.
shortchevy

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 pm

You are on a fast track. I love it. Can't wait to see it running and driving.
RedFiveKBS

Next

Return to Project Journals